LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
LSX Motors Rock!
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How restrictive is the stock air box? I was thinking about getting the K&N cold air intake but then I did some reading and it appears that a lot of guys have switched back to the stock intake. Would I just be better off dropping in a K&N replacement filter?

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
First show me an objective study verified with dyno results that there is a measurable difference between an open reusable air filter (KN) versus the stock yellow GM paper air filter dropped in the same stock air box.

Then I will tell you my answer.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
it all depends on your personal prefrence, there are solid numbers on the K&N CAI, which actually its not a true CAI cause its still in the engine compartment.... but it still is nice, but i digress, huntress dynoed out at 19.7 rwhp with her K&N, so those are some numbers. but in the end you got to do what you feel is right.....
P.S. i dont want to start any kind of war on wether or not the K&N is a true CAI, my comment was just my own .02.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
well.... thats a good question, huntress had posted hp gains so that would be top end, but she didnt say what kind of toruqe it added, but i can tell you that the throttle response is better and the engine feels to rev quicker.... but im not expert, jsut a weekend warrior of the automotive world!

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
gotzaGTO said:
it all depends on your personal prefrence, there are solid numbers on the K&N CAI, which actually its not a true CAI cause its still in the engine compartment.... but it still is nice, but i digress, huntress dynoed out at 19.7 rwhp with her K&N, so those are some numbers. but in the end you got to do what you feel is right.....
P.S. i dont want to start any kind of war on wether or not the K&N is a true CAI, my comment was just my own .02.

So let me get this straight. You are saying that if I.........

1. Go home, open my stock airbox.
2. Take out yellow air filter from GM
3. Buy a K&N oiled reusable oil filter.
4. Drop it in the stock airbox
5. Gain almost 20 horsepower.

:gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest:

You owe me a Corona with a lime twist, a new keyboard, and a new pair of shorts. Cause I just spilled mine laughing.

Cmon folks....... :rolleyes:

·
4L60E+moded ls1+saudi = bad
710 Posts
Ok i have the ls1speed induction system. i toke my friend for a ride and he has a GTO too. i was right, we both agreed that the 4th gear makes you feel like if its allmost the 3rd gear!. and in the low rpm take it on me you will feel it! its alot better and active.

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
desertgoat, I believe the K&N in question was the Air-Charger CAI system, not a drop in panel. Others have posted dynos and reports of 14-19 rwhp gains from the Air-Charger, so likely there is a bit of truth in it.

·
4L60E+moded ls1+saudi = bad
710 Posts
Pontiac GTO said:
Was it hard to install? How was the fit and finish and did it come with good instructions?
for the ls1speed induction it will only take you 30minutes to get it installed its so simple.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I just put the Speed Inc. tube on the stock box. Feels a little better. I think the stock accordion tube is a bigger problem than the box / filter. The inlet on the box is almost 4 1/2" diameter, the panel filter has plenty of area, and there are no silencers in the lid.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
desertgoat said:
So let me get this straight. You are saying that if I.........

1. Go home, open my stock airbox.
2. Take out yellow air filter from GM
3. Buy a K&N oiled reusable oil filter.
4. Drop it in the stock airbox
5. Gain almost 20 horsepower.

:gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest:

You owe me a Corona with a lime twist, a new keyboard, and a new pair of shorts. Cause I just spilled mine laughing.

Cmon folks....... :rolleyes:
Hey DG, he's not talking about just the KN filter. It's the whole KN Cold air
kit. Tube and cone filter setup. Stock box is eliminated with this setup. :)

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
That's right, you get 40 HP dropping in the K&N panel filter. Get yer facts right, Bub.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
I know, I know, I know, I know

2Cool said:
desertgoat, I believe the K&N in question was the Air-Charger CAI system, not a drop in panel. Others have posted dynos and reports of 14-19 rwhp gains from the Air-Charger, so likely there is a bit of truth in it.

I know
I know
I know
I know
I know he is talking about an actual air charger SYSTEM

But I WAS NOT talking about an actual air induction system.

I want a comparison b/w a KN drop filter and a stock paper filter.

DROPPED in the STOCK AIRBOX!!!!

Is there a measurable difference in power or not?

Cmon folks, read the posts carefully. I couldn't give a rat's ass about a whole 200 dollar air induction system. I just want to know about the rectangular piece of thingamajiggy the you sandwich between the top plastic and the bottom plastic doohicky that is connected to the MAF sonofagun and attached to the black intake tube connectorino leading to the throttlebodygizmo.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I have a Speed Inc system and I have a CS Tube w/ stock box. I ordered the CS tube back in May and it arived today. I installed tonight w/ the stock box and paper filter. It Looks good. I have not yet been able to drive her to see how she feels w/ this setup. I have some numbers in the form of 0-60MPH times to compair the two systems. I know that is not the best base line but it is all I have. If I find anything good or bad about the systems I'll let you know. One thing for sure, I need to get a hump coupling if the CS Tube w/ stock box stays. There is no flex in the system. I have left off one of the three attachment groments that hold the box to the car to allow it to move a bit.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
yeah, you too.

Yellow Jacket M6 said:
Hey DG, he's not talking about just the KN filter. It's the whole KN Cold air
kit. Tube and cone filter setup. Stock box is eliminated with this setup. :)

Read my posts. I was asking about a filter dropped in the stock air box!!!!!!!

How can you drop a cone filter in a stock airbox????????????

I am talking about a rectangular K&N filter dropped in the stock airbox!!!!!!!!

Can someone show me howthef*ckinghell you can squeeze a cone filter in the stock airbox????????

omigod I am so frustrated. You ask a simple question about comparing 2 paper rectangular filter and you get all kinds of tangents in the replies.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
DG,

Not for nothing but nobody ever claimed 20 hp from a panel filter in this thread. It almost feels as if you are just stirring the pot here. The first post asked about a K&N cold air intake. Not a panel filter. If you want to see numbers on the panel filter, send me one. I'll pay for dyno time and check the CS tube, Stock Tube, Paper Filter and K&N Filter. I already have Speed Inc numbers.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
I installed the K&N Aircharger which is one step more agressive then the FIPK. This is the same as Huntress' setup. Looks and feels good. Not hard to install. I had a K&N panal filter in the stock airbox and didn't notice any real difference with that. If you want mine then I'll sell it for $25+ship. Has 4000 miles on it but it is clean and ready for another owner.

·
dozlert
1,951 Posts
Filter

Usually you get the following:

Filter (rectangular dropped in stock airbox): 2-5 HP
CAI: 8-15 HP

I am not sure how the CAI/FIPK kits compare though, i.e. LingenFILTER, K&N, etc. I do know Lingenfelter has theirs on sale for $289.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts