LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
NASA Instructor, MW/GL Region
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at US 41 last night, in the middle of a run, on the 2nd to 3rd shift BAM!! As I slammed 3rd the shifter broke. I was like WTF! I grabed the boot searching for the nub which I found just in time to shift into 4th. and finished the run. I turned a 13.5 with a broken shifter :gears: Has this happened to anyone else? My dealer is gonna cover it, they have them in the Chicago warehouse so it shouldn't be but a few days to get one in and about a 15 min. install job. I'd like to thank the Indiana Goat Herd for help'n me out at the track. They took the center console off to remove the boot so I could shift with the nub and make it home. Talk about a short shifter.

·
'Nova GIRL
671 Posts
Still can't believe that happened...and u made a pass with a nub! Nice meeting you last night and good luck with the shifter!

·
Administrator
9,486 Posts
I've seen other posts about this happening, not recently though. A search should turn those posts up.

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was nice meeting everyone. Thanks for the help getting that apart. I was driving it around today. I just had to make that last run with the nub. :gr_jest:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not related to the subject

Wretched 6.0 said:
now THAT is a short shifter.....
You don't happen to know if the picture you have as signature is actualy a batch to replace the real Pontiac Batch from front bumper and rear trunK? that would be a cool batch.

Thanks

·
...brah
8,810 Posts
The exact thing happened for me a few months back. The shift from second to third the handle went limp. I tore it apart and mine broke in the exact same place. If you do a search I posted pics also.

·
Sand Engineer
1,123 Posts
Same story different car. I test drove an STR-4 when they first came out and I had the same thing happen but it broke in two places. It ripped the plate right off the tranny and snapped the shifter in two. The funny part is the salesman was in the car with me when it happened. Had to call a tow truck.......that was a fun day

·
06 m6
164 Posts
now thats why you put the GMM race shifter in, instead of the street. at least you wher able to make it home.

·
Registered Abuser
143 Posts
Mine broke racing out in AZ but it broke where the bracket that is bolted to the stick welds to the shifter. I just took it apart and welded it back on and it's stronger than before. It felt a little funny on the 1-2 shift a couple runs before that and I thought nothing of it but it was the welds braking.

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SlowBlueGTO said:
Mine broke racing out in AZ but it broke where the bracket that is bolted to the stick welds to the shifter. I just took it apart and welded it back on and it's stronger than before. It felt a little funny on the 1-2 shift a couple runs before that and I thought nothing of it but it was the welds braking.

:gr_jest: No warning signs, it just broke.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Funny, mine just broke this morning. In traffic on I-88 doing a nice, easy 3-4 shift and went limp. Was able to use the nub to get it to the dealer. We'll see what they say but looks like it broke in the same spot.

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought shifting was better with the nub. :gr_jest: Esp. after getting it fixed, it was like driving a truck. Time for a GMM and Lou's short stick!!! I think there's someone who posted about a new stick from Lou's that fits the stock knob.

·
OG 05 Owner and FPFQAF
2,610 Posts
mine broke on the way to work this morning....it broke at the bottom of the nub, so i was able to push down on the boot w/ a couple fingers and get it to 3rd and leave it there....lasted all day at the track sunday w/ no probs or signs..went to take off from a stop light today and it snapped off when i easily shifted to 1st :( now i got a 4x4 silverado rental :) :) :) offroad anyone?
they have 5 m6s on the lot at my dealer and wouldn't swap for me, they insisted on ordering and making me wait and paying for my rental...whatever.... they said it should be ready tomorrow

·
"YELOJKT"
784 Posts
You guys that are breaking your handles...are you slamming gears pretty hard or is the handle just breaking off in normal driving? Seems like this becoming a fairly common problem.

·
Casey is now GONE-RIP Casey
962 Posts
Broke my stock shifter, too. replaced under warranty. Putting in the race GMM when the funds allow it.

for us heavy-handed shifters, Race GMM is the way to go:ftw:

·
Look at me.
2,833 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts