LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my car baselined today, and since the guy gave me a diablosport tuner with the car when I bought it, I figured I'd see if it made any difference on the dyno vs the stock tune. They claim 20 hp and 20 ft-lbs. First two runs were with the diablosport tune. 3rd run was with stock tune making the car 100% stock.

Yep. No gain. Glad I didn't spend my money on it.

And a boring vid of it in case anyone wants to know what a stock GTO looks and sounds like :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InzGOToqGS4

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Not really surprising. Seeing what the tune actually does it makes me wonder how it even picked up that much.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Thanks for posting this info. Great addition to my personal knowledge base.

·
Registered
303 Posts
i was just discussing this topic with a friend. thank you for providing some proof in the matter. what kind of tune was it, not 100% on the predator but i know most handhelds have gas mileage, 93/91 tunes, or just generic performance etc.

·
Send Nudes
4,569 Posts
Meh, you don't have 93 octane.

·
Registered
94 Posts
according to diablo, you have to drive the car 150+ miles before you notice anything. When you put a tune in, the car has to relearn. I def noticed a diff with the 93 octane tune. the throttle response was much better. Now I'm having diablo do a custom tune for my headers and catted mids.

·
Send Nudes
4,569 Posts
according to diablo, you have to drive the car 150+ miles before you notice anything. When you put a tune in, the car has to relearn. I def noticed a diff with the 93 octane tune. the throttle response was much better. Now I'm having diablo do a custom tune for my headers and catted mids.
And people like this are why you should verify things.
Don't post in the tech section, ever.

Reactions: Kfxguy

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was the 91 octane tune which they still claim is worth 20 hp and 20 ft lbs. There is no 93 octane tune. As far as the computer needing to learn, that's b.s. Nowhere in the manual does it say it needs to be driven 150 miles. Even if it did it won't make a difference in power #'s. I've tuned cars in the past and I have plenty experience tuning. I figured I'd give this hand held a shot since it came with the car and I was on the dyno anyways.

As far as the car "feeling" faster with the tuner, my butt dyno thought the car felt a little faster too. The mind can be funny sometimes when you want to believe something :)

Those were my results. FWIW.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
re

I can say the SLP Diablo sport tuner made a difference. No dyno results but time slips. Once adding mods I finally hit 12.93 at 110 mph. A combination of headers exhaust air intake and the tuner or a tune compliment each other.---danfigg

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sometimes the "butt dyno" can still tell us something. There may not be an HP or Torque gain but the response time definitely has changed. Perhaps 'quick and smooth' throttle response can make a better difference with the same HP going 0 - 100 mph.

If we want to get more technical, this tune is great for tuning out the LTFT during aggressive accelerations (taking wide open throttle out of this). With this condition in mind, the HP won't matter much being the same but during this kind of accelerations (just enough to jump out or cut lanes in traffic), there is definitely more power being made. But that's all speculations since wide open throttle is where the peak HP will come into play.

Anyhow in my experience, I noticed a significant difference with better gas mileage vs stock. I would go about 260-280 on a full tank with stock tune. With Diablo, I can go 310 - 330 on a full tank. That efficiency has paid for itself in 2 months time. I don't have any other statistics to show but I have done pretty well at the track and on the road versus others with a few more mods than me.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
I had intake, headers, catback and UDP with my original diablew sport tune on and I put down like 389 to the wheels

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wish :) I think I made about the same numbers myself. But come to think about it, the numbers are about right for crank HP (400hp) and it's power transfer loss to the wheels (usually 15% on manual tranny).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyhow in my experience, I noticed a significant difference with better gas mileage vs stock. I would go about 260-280 on a full tank with stock tune. With Diablo, I can go 310 - 330 on a full tank. That efficiency has paid for itself in 2 months time. I don't have any other statistics to show but I have done pretty well at the track and on the road versus others with a few more mods than me.
I also saw a mileage increase using the Diablo tune. Picked up a couple of MPG using the 93 Octane tune.

·
Insert Witty Title Here
2,803 Posts
It was the 91 octane tune which they still claim is worth 20 hp and 20 ft lbs. There is no 93 octane tune. As far as the computer needing to learn, that's b.s. Nowhere in the manual does it say it needs to be driven 150 miles. Even if it did it won't make a difference in power #'s. I've tuned cars in the past and I have plenty experience tuning. I figured I'd give this hand held a shot since it came with the car and I was on the dyno anyways.

As far as the car "feeling" faster with the tuner, my butt dyno thought the car felt a little faster too. The mind can be funny sometimes when you want to believe something :)

Those were my results. FWIW.
I think he's calling the diablotune or whatever it's called the 93 octane.

·
150k Club
3,955 Posts
Custom tune here with mods in the sig.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had handheld tuners and have one now and I've pretty much used it just for adjusting stuff like the skip shift, erasing codes and changing tire and gear sizes.

For power increases, its minimal and what you feel seems more like a placebo effect. Like telling a bunch of college kids the non-alcoholic beer is regular beer and they all get drunk off of it thinking its got alcohol.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I just sold mine and I think the gas mileage is really the difference and being able to monitor different parameters and read/clear codes. Mine just didnt get as good of gas on the stock tune. That said I still sold mine. I felt no power difference at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts