LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
May I quote you on that?
22,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Rant]
Talk about some pretentious horse shit. Sheesh.
As a semi professional photographer of many years, I couldn't stand it any longer.

Every time someone posts up some pictures of their car, it's a friggin "photoshoot?" Are we supposed to envision a semi full of lighting equipment, diffusers, reflectors pulling up to the "shoot" An army of assistants and interns unpacking and setting up gear, taking countless light readings, loading one Hasselblad back after another before Richard Avedon or Ansel Adams steps out of a limo to survey the set?

No. It's some pictures of your car you just waxed. That's it. Having 2 of your buddies GTOs in the picture isn't going to get it on the cover of Automobile magazine or the duPont Registry.

I've seen horrid photos taken under orange sodium vapor lighting in a parking garage or strip mall with a $200 point-and-shoot or cell phone camera all elevated to the level of "photoshoot."

Please just call them pictures of your car.
Thanks.

[/Rant]

·
May I quote you on that?
22,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Habs.
383 Posts
I can understand the frustration... I would never call it a "photoshoot" either if I took a bunch of pictures because to me that implies an entire photo crew and magazine quality shots.

But come on, these guys are excited about their cars! Let them dream :wiggle:

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
So, the "photshoot" term now is just like everybody calling N2O NOS. Which just freaking annoys me to no end.

·
yea...
510 Posts
its great when they say it out...NOS...lol even if its a NX or venom kit

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
LOL, yeah. But it really makes me want to punch that person in the face. :slap:

·
7,835 Posts
Sorry guys what did I miss? I was out on a photoshoot with my car.

·
Crack Open a Fresh Baileys
811 Posts
With the recent release of cheap, but quite incredibly good digital cameras lately, everyone is a photographer.
The Students now surpass the Masters. In other words, it's startin' to get to the point where it's hard to tell whether someone took a pic with a $250 camera or $50,000 worth of equipment.
So what separates them from the professionals? The professionals have Talent. :D

I think I might be crazy, by the way. Because what am I talking about? :dunno:

·
Omertà
5,291 Posts
Hay guise!

Anyone wanna joint me in a photoshoot of my NOS with my new Vivitar digital camera?:shiner:

·
7,835 Posts
is it a photoshoot if i shoot by camera with a gun?
no, no, no.... You have to shoot the picture to be an acurate photoshoot. Otherwise you would call it a camerashoot in your case.

·
Omertà
5,291 Posts
But, seriously, what does it really matter what it's called? I don't see the big deal.

People are "shooting" "photos" of their car...er uh...or are they actually taking pictures?

Should it be referred to as a PictureTake? But, are they actually pictures?

Pictures are something you hang on the wall.:dunno:

For future reference, let us know Mr.mike what us peons can call it when images are put up on the board.:rolleyes:

Maybe, I'll start a bitch thread about people who "install" a plaque on their upper air baffle.

Oh yeah...

http://www.holley.com/index.asp?division=NOS

·
Mortgage in hand!
12,129 Posts
So when I clean up my car, wait for good lighting, drive to a specific location with a good background, "pose" my car, and take a ton of pictures from multiple angles trying to get some that will look presentable and clean up nice, what is that?

Or do I need a license to use the term "photoshoot"?

Is there some kind of test I need to pass?

Do the photos have to be of professional quality to use the term "photoshoot"?

I'm just trying to figure out if I can use the term or not. I agree with you that if you've just snapped some pictures of your car in your driveway that it's probably a reach to call it a "photoshoot", but if you've gone through the steps to take the highest-quality photos you personally can, where do you draw the line?

And for that matter, what should the threads be titled? "Took some pictures of my car"?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts