LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is what I suspect is happening here. This poor bloke lost the key and took it in to a local dealer about a week or so ago. My bro frequents the place who has seen it there.
I wish I could help because I fear the owner is gonna get hit with new pcm bill or lock cylinder or get the car going at all.

Last I had my car in for a reflash they didn鈥檛 know where to find the key codes. add on the likelihood of not having the machine to cut the key and a proper blank to begin with.

Poor CGM 馃様

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Administrator
That thing looks like it's been sitting in a barn for a few years.

GR-RRR!
This poor bloke lost the key.....
Which is why you should ALWAYS have at least a 2nd key for every vehicle you own. Bought it with only one key? So, get another. I also keep my 2nd key in a place much separated from where I keep my 1st key.

But for this guy, even if they look up the key code and cut a new key blank, what will they do about the fob? They are no longer available in the US. Basically, a dealership is pretty much the worst place to take one of these cars for such a problem.

But the window is down so they can at least get into the car. My guess though is that there is more going on here than a lost key. How else would they have gotten the window down? People don't typically store their cars with the windows down and it's been sitting in storage somewhere for a while from the looks of it.

Administrator
what will they do about the fob? They are no longer available in the US.
Well, a dealer could certainly buy a Holden fob, but yeah, good luck finding a dealer that even knows who/what Holden is, let alone know that the Holden fobs are even out there to buy.

I wouldn't even take my GTO's to a dealer back when they were new, and can only imagine the looks you'd get today trying to take one in for anything other than an oil change.

Administrator
Can someone answer this for me though:

If the owner lost the key, then how the hell did they get the car into that spot? The column is locked without a key, so how would they be able to even push it into that spot as it looks like the front wheels were turned to get it into that position. Think there's more to this story than just a lost key.

Reactions: 2006GTOCGM

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can someone answer this for me though:

If the owner lost the key, then how the hell did they get the car into that spot? The column is locked without a key, so how would they be able to even push it into that spot as it looks like the front wheels were turned to get it into that position. Think there's more to this story than just a lost key.
Nope, don鈥檛 have much info aside from owner lost key and it was towed in. I鈥檇 imagine wheel dollies were used but who knows. It鈥檚 been in the exact same spot for over a week having received pictures of both times my bro was there.
If we鈥檙e super curious I don鈥檛 mind calling the dealer and finding out. Maybe if I get bored I will.
for reference, Holden fobs are can be had from Josh Moore on FB or Holdenparts something other dot com. Then it鈥檚 a matter of finding a locksmith to cut the key for you.

Administrator
Holden fobs can be bought from a bunch of places still; Josh may have the most available though.

Reactions: HMBLGOAT

GR-RRR!
for reference, Holden fobs are can be had from Josh Moore on FB or Holdenparts something other dot com. Then it鈥檚 a matter of finding a locksmith to cut the key for you.
But as mentioned above it is doubtful the average dealership would even know this.

GTOless
Well, a dealer could certainly buy a Holden fob, but yeah, good luck finding a dealer that even knows who/what Holden is, let alone know that the Holden fobs are even out there to buy.

I wouldn't even take my GTO's to a dealer back when they were new, and can only imagine the looks you'd get today trying to take one in for anything other than an oil change.
Believe it or not, I have had a few dealerships buy fobs off me. I just had a GMC dealer in Florida buy one off me two weeks ago. However I have a good feeling that the person ordering it knew a bit about the GTO's and their origination.

But for 99% of dealers, they will not go out of there way to do much of anything, let alone find a key from another division of GM.

And yes I have about 300 fobs...

GTOless
Nope, don鈥檛 have much info aside from owner lost key and it was towed in. I鈥檇 imagine wheel dollies were used but who knows. It鈥檚 been in the exact same spot for over a week having received pictures of both times my bro was there.
If we鈥檙e super curious I don鈥檛 mind calling the dealer and finding out. Maybe if I get bored I will.
East Coast Holden Parts ;)

Reactions: whippersnapper02

Holdiac Performance
How do you get a new key cut if you lose BOTH of the originals? That鈥檚 a real Homer Simpson level of achievement 馃槵

Administrator
Vin and proof of ownership. They have the key profiles in a database.
This. There鈥檚 a key code assigned to each VIN in GM鈥檚 system. Show your proof of ownership to any GM dealer and they will be able to retrieve the key code so you can have a new key cut.

Reactions: whippersnapper02

Holdiac Performance
Yeah It鈥檚 doubtful that dealership would even know to contact ECHP or GTOG8TA for a genuine GM fob. Maybe the OP can somehow throw the poor guy a lifeline.

Reactions: 2006GTOCGM

GR-RRR!
Any updates on the status of this car?

My 06 still has one fob that is original to the car. One has been replaced, not because the battery quit but because the electronics crapped out. Was replaced with an OEM Pontiac fob back when they were still available. Programmed great with the 10-10-10 method though that was a little nervewracking since if you missed a step you ruined the fob. I now have a Tech 2 so next time I'll use that to program a fob. My 04 is still on its two original fobs. I have two spares waiting in the wings, probably should buy a couple more as I plan to keep these cars for as long as I can. Next time a fob gives out though, I plan to try to revive it with a new battery before I move to programming a new fob.

Why in the hell did GM design these fobs to be throw away? I have NEVER owned another car where you couldn't just replace the fob battery and move on with life.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts