LS1GTO Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Administrator
11,677 Posts
Carry over from whomever the bonehead at Holden designed/approved the key for the platform. Really is mind boggling that you can’t easily just swap in a new battery.

· GR-RRR!
13,982 Posts
I suppose it is possible to turn off the security system in the car via HPTuner, right? Eventually we will all probably have to embrace such a thing and risk the security of our cars as well. Assuming any of us have our cars that long. But I'm sure the day will come when GTOs begin to be parted out simply because of there being no source for new fobs.

· Administrator
11,677 Posts
Yup, easy to disable VATS in HP Tuners, but:

You can use a dead fob all day long on a GTO as the ignition ring just needs to recognize the fob circuit (the ring itself provides enough juice to recognize it with a dead fob battery). You can then lock and unlock the car manually. I say this as I've tried it with a dead fob before.

Luckily my 05 is rarely ever left to sit outside of my garage, and cant even remember the last time I needed to lock the doors, so I'm personally not even concerned if down the road I'm left with a bunch of dead fobs.

Reactions: HMBLGOAT

· Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Any updates on the status of this car?

My 06 still has one fob that is original to the car. One has been replaced, not because the battery quit but because the electronics crapped out. Was replaced with an OEM Pontiac fob back when they were still available. Programmed great with the 10-10-10 method though that was a little nervewracking since if you missed a step you ruined the fob. I now have a Tech 2 so next time I'll use that to program a fob. My 04 is still on its two original fobs. I have two spares waiting in the wings, probably should buy a couple more as I plan to keep these cars for as long as I can. Next time a fob gives out though, I plan to try to revive it with a new battery before I move to programming a new fob.

Why in the hell did GM design these fobs to be throw away? I have NEVER owned another car where you couldn't just replace the fob battery and move on with life.
none.I did call though and wish I never did. I forgot how prideful these tech advisors can be. I think I came off with a genuine concern and rightfully so, probably, they told me to pretty much to pound sand.

i get that they can’t reveal any client data and all but still got the impression of: “ I’m the dealer son, there’s nothing you can show me!”

Actually most, if not all, interactions with a dealer have been like that.

· GR-RRR!
13,982 Posts
none.I did call though and wish I never did. I forgot how prideful these tech advisors can be. I think I came off with a genuine concern and rightfully so, probably, they told me to pretty much to pound sand.

i get that they can’t reveal any client data and all but still got the impression of: “ I’m the dealer son, there’s nothing you can show me!”

Actually most, if not all, interactions with a dealer have been like that.
I have found a local dealer who is NOT like that. But I still try to engage with them only if there is absolutely no other choice (like the time I needed to have a glovebox key code looked up and then have a key cut).

· Registered
178 Posts
Old key too much of a PITA to open and I couldn't get the 10-10-10 method to work as it went through the process fine but the car wouldn't turn on so I bought 2 holden FOBs and an alibaba tech ii. Alibaba tech ii worked like a charm and holden FOB batteries can be replaced. Might buy a few more Holden FOBs just for future reference in case one or both die.

· Administrator
11,677 Posts
Old key too much of a PITA to open and I couldn't get the 10-10-10 method to work as it went through the process fine but the car wouldn't turn on so I bought 2 holden FOBs and an alibaba tech ii. Alibaba tech ii worked like a charm and holden FOB batteries can be replaced. Might buy a few more Holden FOBs just for future reference in case one or both die.
OEM Holden fobs are no different than the GM fobs; the cases are welded shut and the batteries soldered onto the circuit board. If you're trying to say you have a fob that can easily be opened and the battery isn't soldered on, then you don't have OEM Holden fobs.

· Registered
178 Posts
OEM Holden fobs are no different than the GM fobs; the cases are welded shut and the batteries soldered onto the circuit board. If you're trying to say you have a fob that can easily be opened and the battery isn't soldered on, then you don't have OEM Holden fobs.
I didn't mean that I have an OEM Holden FOB. But it has the Holden Logo on it, from gtog8ta.com

· Administrator
11,677 Posts
Wait, GTOG8TA sells aftermarket fobs with the Holden logo on them? That’s news to me.

· Administrator
11,677 Posts
That’s the OEM Holden fob. Are you saying you bought that one and you can easily open it and remove the battery? If so, I want to see pics. OEM Pontiac and Holden fobs are all welded shut with batteries that are soldered onto the circuit board.

· Registered
178 Posts
That’s the OEM Holden fob. Are you saying you bought that one and you can easily open it and remove the battery? If so, I want to see pics. OEM Pontiac and Holden fobs are all welded shut with batteries that are soldered onto the circuit board.
You may be right. My first key was the replica that had no sealant. I bought this one but hadn't messed with it yet. First one I bought I believe was off someone on a GTO facebook page. Was able to program it and it's working.

edit: yeah you're right. it is the OEM. But I hadn't messed with it yet. I did want 2 working FOBs so that sucks i didn't pay attention to the wording on it more, lol

· Registered
CP M6 04, YJ A4 04
456 Posts
Don't blame Vegemite, blame Wiener schnitzel - was told think by my locksmith that it was Opel technology that Holden used, re our Giant fobs (because Size Matters). These guys programmed my 1st backup key for my 1st GTO in the decade they were new, And provided me with the key code, which the dealer could not.

Glad I Didn't know that 10-10-10 could Ruin the fob... on the wife's car it was more like the 10-10 -wait that didn't quite work - 10-10-10 method, but it did work. meanwhile I cannot get my old key off of the old fob, one of the screws is stripped - to get my backup key put together

· Worthless reject member
83,748 Posts
Don't blame Vegemite, blame Wiener schnitzel - was told think by my locksmith that it was Opel technology that Holden used, re our Giant fobs (because Size Matters). These guys programmed my 1st backup key for my 1st GTO in the decade they were new, And provided me with the key code, which the dealer could not.

Glad I Didn't know that 10-10-10 could Ruin the fob... on the wife's car it was more like the 10-10 -wait that didn't quite work - 10-10-10 method, but it did work. meanwhile I cannot get my old key off of the old fob, one of the screws is stripped - to get my backup key put together
i don't see how it can ruin it if you do it right. at most it just won't link.

and a quick google image search doesn't reveal an opel key that looks anything like ours.

so... get a new locksmith maybe?

· Registered
CP M6 04, YJ A4 04
456 Posts
My locksmith may have been wrong about that, but they are outstanding. Every day we walk in the front door, is because in part that they rebuilt the 98 yr old at the time original hardware. So There.

No, seriously, they are really good. when they reprogrammed the key, did it for far less than dealer was going to charge. Never done me or anybody I've sent there wrong.

but schnitzel is better than Vegemite, so there's that

· Registered
Heads/Cam and Procharged, T56 Magnum swapped
56 Posts
Something else is going on with that car. Lack of payment, lack of proof of ownership, something. Keys and key related parts are readily accessible.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people have no clue how to acquire, have them cut, and program keys. Only having 1 key for your car is just ignorant in my opinion. It WILL get lost, broken, or die at some point. It really is not that difficult to get spares. I bought my GTO 2 years ago with 1 functioning key and 1 broken key. I immediately bought 2 keys from GTOG8TA. 1 with the Holden emblem, and 1 carbon fiber case one. Had the local dealer cut them for me, programmed them myself. Super easy. I see posts everyday on here and the facebook pages about people being locked out of their GTOs and G8s. I bought 2 flip keys from my G8 GT from GTOG8TA as well and same thing. Had them cut, and then programmed them to the car myself. THE INFORMATION IS OUT THERE PEOPLE! I looked it up and did it all myself, aside from the cutting of the key blades.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts