LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been having a problem with my 04 GTO. When I go out in the morning, everything is fine, and its fine in the evening as well. During the day however, when I go to lunch or home for the day, when I hit the unlock button the horn beeps 3 times telling me that the alarm went off. I get in and the DIC says Alarm Activated by Hood (its always the hood), but the battery is drained to almost nothing, wont start. Getting a jump start fires it right up and its good until lunch the next day. I work on an Air Force base and there is no eveidence that it is actually being tampered with. Well after a couple of instances of this I figure the battery is shot and I get a new one. The next day its dead too, same symptoms. I finally took it to the dealer and explain whats wrong. While it was there I asked them to go ahead and flash the IPC to correct the gauge issue, which was never important enough for me to bother with before, rarely happens. Well I just called the dealership and they said they found the TSB and flashed the IPC. The tech noticed however that the odometer still showed the mileage even with the key out of the ignition, and its not supposed to do that. The flash did correct it. They had a GM engineer there for another car and asked him about it and he said it could have been the problem since the security system does use the IPC. I will pick it up in a bit, I hope it doesnt happen again. Guess I will find out tomorrow about lunch time...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lothar34 said:
It's not supposed to display the mileage when the car is off?
Thats what I thought he said, I will comfirm it when I pick it up.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I picked it up and he again said that the mileage and radio should go out when the key is out and the door is opened but when I got home they still do. So I dont know what he was talking about, I will be happy if is just starts tomorrow.

·
god of the sea people
229 Posts
when the key is out on my 05 the odo and radio clock stay on. even when locked and armed. i would throw a hood swx at it. maybe it fails when sitting in the hot sun.(i like to just throw parts at problems, especially cheap switches) that tech obviously had never seen a gto before....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I understand now what he was saying. It was the backlighting for the DIC and radio that they noticed werent going off. When you take the key out and open the door they should but sometimes didnt. This would drain the battery. Once the voltage started dropping this caused the alarm to go off, which made the battery drain worse. This would go on until the battery was dead. I went out just a bit ago to check on it. This time yesterday I got the 3 honks and the battery was already dead. This morning it unlocked normally and started fine. So far it looks like updating the code in the IPC did fix the problem.

·
Registered
14,990 Posts
GTPDan said:
I understand now what he was saying. It was the backlighting for the DIC and radio that they noticed werent going off. When you take the key out and open the door they should but sometimes didnt. This would drain the battery. Once the voltage started dropping this caused the alarm to go off, which made the battery drain worse. This would go on until the battery was dead. I went out just a bit ago to check on it. This time yesterday I got the 3 honks and the battery was already dead. This morning it unlocked normally and started fine. So far it looks like updating the code in the IPC did fix the problem.

Ok, cool you got it fixed, if that didn't work I'd next look toward the BCM and the harness to it, as some of them rub on the glovebox bracket, then short a wire or 2 to ground..causing all different weird things depending on which wire was stuck grounded, and sometimes intermitant while driving.:bomb:

(just for future reference or someone else that it doesn't fix it for)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts