LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i think the time has finally arrived. I’ve driven my gto for almost 10 years bone stock power wise. Only power related mods are a vararam and Pypes Hbox with their resonated tips. After thousands of pulls, hundreds of street races, 70 passes at the track over the years, and about 70k miles dd’ing on the street... i think im ready to put a cam in it.

Reason: I just recently had a lifter noise develop. If im taking the heads off to replace lifters than im going to throw a cam in it with new springs and a trunnion upgrade.

I’ve always looked at ed’s Street Sweeper HT. Ive seen great reviews on it over the years. Only thing is now-a-days with BTR, texas speed, cam motion, tick ect there are so many off the shelf grinds its making me think is there a better, newer cam for my goals?

Goal is to keep drivability and torque, and pick up some upper end charge. Im never getting rid of my 3.46’s. I still love hitting the back road twisties, leaving it in 3rd and having the torque pull me out of corners. But i also do a good bit of roll racing on the street which im usually in the 4500-6400 range. I dont care about peak numbers. Ive beat plenty of people who claim to have high peak numbers with my stock cam. I want area under the curve along with a bump in power in the upper rpm range. Still plan to shift around 6,500. Will still hit the 1/4 mile a few times a year as well.

Any reason i SHOULDNT go with the Street Sweeper HT?

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
None. I wouldn’t change mine for anything.

Driveability is excellent and the torque is amazing.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts

Reactions: GTO44

·
Registered
2005 GTO MT Red, Red, Pee the bed.
39 Posts
I have installed a Streetsweeper tq in my ride very recently. I was just about to purchase an ht but found a deal on the tq.
I don't think you could go wrong with the ht. You need a tune and headers with it though.

I have hooked up my wideband getting ready to do some HP tuner majick with mine today, with just my rich startup tune I think I will be happy with the results.

Reactions: GTO44

·
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ski your goat sounds awesome. Do you have any hp/tq numbers on it? Any 1/4 miles passes? How did the car feel going from stock cam to the SSht?

I forgot to mention i have a set of Pasesetter long tubes, catless mids, and a stage 2 1/2 jeremy formato ported LS2 intake that will be going on at the same time. The intake has the inlet ported, intake runners ported and the whole floor is shaved flat with the support beams removed and epoxied for strength. Have had that stuff forever but never installed it. And I recently traded some wiring work at a local shop called VMP Performance for a dyno tune so im good to go on that front.

·
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
None. I wouldn’t change mine for anything.

Driveability is excellent and the torque is amazing.

View attachment 501988
Just realized these specs are slightly different than the ones that are on his website now for the SSHT...

Here’s the current specs: 228/232, 612/600, 111

Did they change over time or did you get yours customized for ur goat ski?

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
This one was custom ground for my car that also has Kooks LT’s, ported FAST 92, and a Duspeed.

430/403 is what it put down on the last dyno run.

Almost no surge, gobs of low end torque, and just really easy to drive. I’ve never been to a track, so not a clue what it would run. I just take it out on sunny weekends to cruise around.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would recommend you take a look at the ws6store "max effort" rockers. I'm running them and in my opinion are much better than the trunnion upgrades on the market. They are a sealed bearing type rocker using new GM rocker bodies. I'm running them on my car and I'm very happy with them.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Spintech4lyfe

Will never run a different catback on these cars. It just sounds too good.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Super Pro Street 9000’s.

·
Super Moderator
12,104 Posts
Any reason i SHOULDNT go with the Street Sweeper HT?

Cost would be about it.

You can pick up a BTR Stage 2 NA cam for a good bit less. Very similar cam to the HT. Either will make excellent power and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two IMO.

·
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What about ed’s tiger shark? With the ported intake and headers... i wonder how much torque i would lose vs top end charge i would gain to the SSHT. Its not that much bigger. I’m thinking about the times where im running my buddies... when i roll race most of the time is spent in the 4800-6500 range. At the same time i dont want to go too big for DD and lose that strong toque and mid range. Decisions... decisions...

·
Worthless reject member
40,115 Posts
both cams look pretty close, imho. the tiger shark is definitely not to big for a stock headed ls2. they are both excellent camshaft profiles. both have about the same overlap, the ICV and EVO events are a few degrees different, assuming ground-in cam advance is the same, but...

just a matter of preference, i guess.

i would go with the tigershark.

SmUrF UUUUU BAI T3H HELLION CAM!!!!! j/k lulz

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Cost would be about it.

You can pick up a BTR Stage 2 NA cam for a good bit less. Very similar cam to the HT. Either will make excellent power and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two IMO.
Not even in the same ball park.

There's a whole lot more to camshaft profiles than .050" numbers.

All my camshafts are MSE treated.

·
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

All my camshafts are MSE treated.
Ed would you recommend the SSHT or the Tigershark for this application? Also im going to go with a full kit. Will also need head gaskets, head bolts, trunnion upgrade and oil pump. I’d prefer to buy it all at once from you. Also i just sent one of my customers over to ya. Greg with the ‘77 trans am thats getting a custom cam for the 461 stoker we’re building. Thanks for helping him out, he asks a lot of questions so thank you for the be patient with him lol

Reactions: EDC

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Ed would you recommend the SSHT or the Tigershark for this application? Also im going to go with a full kit. Will also need head gaskets, head bolts, trunnion upgrade and oil pump. I’d prefer to buy it all at once from you. Also i just sent one of my customers over to ya. Greg with the ‘77 trans am thats getting a custom cam for the 461 stoker we’re building. Thanks for helping him out, he asks a lot of questions so thank you for the be patient with him lol
It SSHT is still one of the best all around grinds for a stout LS1 or daily driver LS2 combination. I did the TigerShark (actualy our own MA16 cam) for one of my valvetrain dealers and the name stuck so we started to sell it ourselves with that name. It's more of a mid-to-top end grind for people who do more of that "roll racing" stuff or some drifting versus a true dual purpose, street/drag race car. That's where the SSHT shines.

Thanks for the referral. Greg's true Pontiac build is really nice. No short cuts at all. Wait until you see the grind. It'll shock you. ;)

·
Registered
2005 GTO MT Red, Red, Pee the bed.
39 Posts

He aint bird turdin' ya on that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts