LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been to a drag strip. There's not one nearby. My only source of speed info, other than racing other cars, is my Tazzo(like a G-tech)
I see a lot of you posting low,low 60 ft times(2.0). According to my Tazzo, my 60's range from 2.25 to 2.30. This is with very little wheel spin, just launching @ 1800-2000 rpm and chirping through the early part of 1st. I know a track is "prepped", I assume this is putting some kind of gripping compound down for traction. Is this what gets you those low times with stock rubber?

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
No doubt your gonna get better 60 foot times at the track. With that said, there
are a lot of factors that affect your times, not the least of which is driver
experience. I can't tell you how underrated this is. Driver is everything and
practice, practice, practice makes you a better driver.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
No doubt your gonna get better 60 foot times at the track. With that said, there
are a lot of factors that affect your times, not the least of which is driver
experience. I can't tell you how underrated this is. Driver is everything and
practice, practice, practice makes you a better driver.
Yellow Jacket took the words right outta my mouth!

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I've been to the drag strip twice. Once to a 1/8th mile track and once to a 1/4 mile track. At both places, my 60' times were awful... 2.3+... chalk it up to lack of experience at the track. On the street, however, I seem to do MUCH better at the launch. Maybe it's just "track nerves" or something different about the surface... or a matter of perception. I haven't actually measured my performance on the street. It just "feels" like I do better.

Any way you look at it, though, those low 60' times make all the difference. It is really the only place in the run where you can shave off TENTHS of a second without major mods to the car. If and when I learn to drive, I expect to "beat the book" of 13.8 in the 1/4. Running a 14.04 with a 2.3+ 60' ain't too shabby.

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
FLORIT said:
I've been to the drag strip twice. Once to a 1/8th mile track and once to a 1/4 mile track. At both places, my 60' times were awful... 2.3+... chalk it up to lack of experience at the track. On the street, however, I seem to do MUCH better at the launch. Maybe it's just "track nerves" or something different about the surface... or a matter of perception. I haven't actually measured my performance on the street. It just "feels" like I do better.
It may also be due to the competition you're lined up against. At the track, a lot more people will be running drag radials, and even some with full-out slicks, which will just demolish you out of the hole. Chances are your 60' times are probably still better at the track, but you are most likely a better driver than most you'll simply bump into on the street, and can outlaunch them, giving the perception that your 60' time has improved. Just IMO.

FLORIT said:
Any way you look at it, though, those low 60' times make all the difference. It is really the only place in the run where you can shave off TENTHS of a second without major mods to the car. If and when I learn to drive, I expect to "beat the book" of 13.8 in the 1/4. Running a 14.04 with a 2.3+ 60' ain't too shabby.
Took the words right out of my mouth :)

If you just invest in suspension and slicks, I'd bet the bank that with enough practice you can see a 13.5 with a 1.8 60' time.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lets just say for example that I made a run on a public road with my Tazzo(assuming it's calibrated) and had a 60ft time of 2.30. Now to the track, with an identical lauch, same rpm, same conditions, same everything. Would my 60ft be the same, or better because of the track?

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
It should be

JayStew said:
Lets just say for example that I made a run on a public road with my Tazzo(assuming it's calibrated) and had a 60ft time of 2.30. Now to the track, with an identical lauch, same rpm, same conditions, same everything. Would my 60ft be the same, or better because of the track?
Everything being equal the track will provide better times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts