LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Need To Drive More
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered the Whiteline strut bushings with bearings kit back in 2016. Installed and driven for about 1000 miles. One side of the car was a bit lower than the other plus there was a faint squeak coming from the front. Purchased Pedders struts and after assembly noticed that the bushings are different! At the time when I installed them I did one side at a time so not able to compare. I assume the one with the washer sitting lower is correct. Both nuts torqued to 58. Top of strut same height.

·
Need To Drive More
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Andy. I am still perplexed on why one is wrong. Keep searching strut mounts and checking images. Does the strut retaining plate sit on the washer in the last pic correct? Fourth or fifth pic, which one is correct?

·
Need To Drive More
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Swapped strut bushings and same situation. So bushings are fine. Why is one side higher? Spring? And per the pictures, which one is correct??

·
Kollar Racing Products
5,422 Posts
I suspect you looking for a problem that may not exist. Install it in the car. Make sure the spring marked DS is in the driver side PS is on the passenger side. There is a minor difference between Driver Side and Passenger side springs.

·
Need To Drive More
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed the Lovells a few years ago on the stock struts with Koni inserts. Ever since there was an annoying squeak afterwards. Noticed that one side of front of the car was lower. Drove about 1000 miles in over two years so not much use.

Present day, as posted above, change struts and now here I am again. This time doing both sides at once instead of one at a time which didnt allow me to compare.

Replaced the strut bushings with a new set and back to where I started. I am now leaning towards the springs are different heights since I do torque down the main nut to 58 ft lbs. Count the exposed threads and same on each one.

The most wonkiest shit is going on.

·
Worthless reject member
39,906 Posts
i don't think it's spring height.

it shouldn't affect how the mount, bearing, upper spring seat, and washers fit together. those are a set size/thickness and should all sit the same. if you have the same amount of stud showing on both struts, then if everything is put together correctly, they should sit the same. one strut might sit more extended than the other if the spring height is indeed different, but everything from the upper spring seat on up should look the same.

one thing i should ask, is how you have the upper spring seats oriented. they have a notch that is supposed to point in a certain direction in relation to the strut when installed. the spring seat is not plumb, and it kind of matters how it is oriented. not sure if this would cause what you are seeing, though.

also wondering about how the washers and bearings are sitting underneath the mounts, still.

like the pics jontall posted, everything is sandwiched together. the upper dished washer should sit concave side up, right up against the center part of the bush. there should be nothing in between, and no space. the bottom dished washer should be concave side facing down, butted right up against the center of the mount, and right against the ridge at the end of the threaded part of the nut. no space. one big metal and polyurethane oreo.

·
TACHNUP
2,310 Posts
i don't think it's spring height.

it shouldn't affect how the mount, bearing, upper spring seat, and washers fit together. those are a set size/thickness and should all sit the same...
Exactly.

Anything below the rubber mount is irrelevant to how the upper washer (retainer), nut, and stop plate fit in relation to the upper surface of the mount.

·
1 of 262
10,329 Posts
I suspect you looking for a problem that may not exist. Install it in the car. Make sure the spring marked DS is in the driver side PS is on the passenger side. There is a minor difference between Driver Side and Passenger side springs.
Andy, I believe this is backwards... In Australia, the drivers-side is on the right so the spring marked DS should be installed on the left side on a USA model.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Andy, I believe this is backwards... In Australia, the drivers-side is on the right so the spring marked DS should be installed on the left side on a USA model.
The driver is also on that side...youd have a taller spring for whichever side the extra weight usually is

·
1 of 262
10,329 Posts
The driver is also on that side...youd have a taller spring for whichever side the extra weight usually is
I don't know what you just said, but the taller spring is installed on the side where the driver sits; left for USA, right for Australia. I had to call King Springs in Australia for this information years ago when I was installing their springs.

·
Worthless reject member
39,906 Posts
I don't know what you just said, but the taller spring is installed on the side where the driver sits; left for USA, right for Australia. I had to call King Springs in Australia for this information years ago when I was installing their springs.
really? wow.

so what happens when you have a passenger? your junk leans?

·
Freedom Fighter
764 Posts
My two cents here. It might help or it might cloud. I installed new Monroe struts last year with superpro mounts and my front passenger side sat higher after the install. However, it did before too with my old banged out OEM struts.

This annoyed me and even though it took me the better part of a day, I removed both struts, checked both spring seats, and they pointed inward toward the motor as they should. I was still using my OE springs because I read that it was mainly the rears that sucked and I had no problems in the front.

So I figured, well maybe one spring is off and warped or something. Springs look identical, so I disassembled both struts again and swapped the drivers side spring with the passenger, put everything back together again, and the passenger side still sits higher by about a half inch.

I have read on here from other people that they had the same issue with the passenger side front being higher for whatever reason. Maybe that fender is warped from a previous accident? I don't know. There are a couple ride height threads where owners had talked about this. Maybe this is also affecting you? I don't know how to explain why your mounts look different though.

·
Need To Drive More
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No accidents and stock setup ride height was fine. I am going to disassemble everything, again, and inspect the cupped washers. The DS spring is a bit higher but how does that explain why the top cupped washer sits more into the strut mount. The PS side setup the cupped washer sits higher on the strut mount.

Is the spring causing the top cupped washer to sit differently on each strut? When installed in the car will the strut top plate that is tightened down with the final strut nut continue to rub against the top cupped washer? I would think that the top strut cover plate setting on the strut mount and not the cupped washer would be proper.

Really quick R/R'ing the setup now. Scored this offset wrench which allows me to tighten the strut nut.

https://www.wihatools.com/insulated-mm-deep-offset-wrench-24mm

·
TACHNUP
2,310 Posts
really? wow.

so what happens when you have a passenger? your junk leans?
More or less. If the car is set up to be perfectly level with no occupants, then when it only has a driver it'll lean towards that side. ;)

Often the OE's spec different springs for each corner to account for the differing corner weights caused by whatever is mounted on that side/end/corner (occupant, battery, fuel tank, etc.).

·
Freedom Fighter
764 Posts
No accidents and stock setup ride height was fine. I am going to disassemble everything, again, and inspect the cupped washers. The DS spring is a bit higher but how does that explain why the top cupped washer sits more into the strut mount. The PS side setup the cupped washer sits higher on the strut mount.

Is the spring causing the top cupped washer to sit differently on each strut? When installed in the car will the strut top plate that is tightened down with the final strut nut continue to rub against the top cupped washer? I would think that the top strut cover plate setting on the strut mount and not the cupped washer would be proper.

Really quick R/R'ing the setup now. Scored this offset wrench which allows me to tighten the strut nut.

https://www.wihatools.com/insulated-mm-deep-offset-wrench-24mm
damn 70 bucks! My super pro bushings came with a flat washer, so it was easier. Cant use a torque wrench with either though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts