·
Freedom Fighter
764 Posts
What is under your washer? Mine sits flush atop the bush

·
Need To Drive More
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Same as the other side. First cupped washer curving up, strut spring seat with bump stop, strut mount with bearing yellow facing down, cupped washer curving down on top, and then nut torqued to 58.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Post #1 fifth pic looks correct - there's a gap between the top dished washer/rubber ring and the strut mount. But the fourth pic looks wrong - no gap. The dished top washer keeps the strut from falling out when the car's on a hoist (or gets airborne) but otherwise should NOT contact the sheet metal on top of the strut tower - that could be the source of your squeak. Check that both dished washers have the same amount of dish, and the same amount of rubber on the working side.

Pics 2 and 3 show a clear difference between the two mounts - unless there's an extra washer that's glued itself to the bottom of the small cupped washer.

Lay out all your parts side by side....keep measuring things until you find something that's different...and refer back to the cross-section posted by Jontall to make sure everything is oriented correctly. Take your time - good luck!

·
Freedom Fighter
764 Posts
Same as the other side. First cupped washer curving up, strut spring seat with bump stop, strut mount with bearing yellow facing down, cupped washer curving down on top, and then nut torqued to 58.
I think I describe the curves opposite of you but I think we mean the same thing. But it really looks in pic 3 that something is between the washer and the strut mount causing the washer to be raised. I dont know what that is. Maybe the strut mount for that side is just thicker on top but it doesnt seem right.

·
Need To Drive More
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Post #1 fifth pic looks correct - there's a gap between the top dished washer/rubber ring and the strut mount. But the fourth pic looks wrong - no gap.
That's what I needed to know, thanks!

·
Need To Drive More
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Keeping the correct strut intact I uninstalled the suspect strut. Found that I installed the first cupped washer up side down. Oops, user error. :smack2: Upon installed the strut setup the strut plate kept seating at an angle. When tightening the top nut I had to really make sure the plate was centered.

Struts are in the car. Now can move on to some other pending items. Ugh, can't believe I flip flopped that washer. Thanks for the suggestions.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts