1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
It does kind of defy logic. That's the first time I've ever heard that changing your oil too often is a bad thing. I suppose the synthetic oil behaves differently than the dino oil.

I'm taking it with a grain of salt and look forward to hearing the opinions of the mechanics on the forum.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I don't think the study shows anything that changing the oil too often can cause problems - except in your wallet. I've read that study 3 times now as they've updated it w/ the amsoil test - and I haven't seen anything to that effect. The person who stated that seems to be making a conclusion different than the test shows.
The fact is, with synthetic oils, you can easily double if not triple your oil life. The keys to doing this, as stated, are changing the filter on a 'normal' 3000 mile type schedule and maintaining the oil level through addition of fresh oil. And nothing in this study is going to make GM happy if you spin a rod bearing at 30k miles and can only document 3 or 4 oil changes for the life of the engine.
Dan

·
Registered
246 Posts
AMSOIL says to change their Synthetic every 30,000 Miles. YES THIRTY THOUSAND MILES!! :eek:

I'll stick to changing it every 2,500 miles! :)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with all of the conclusions he came to. After reading the study I think an oil filter change at 3k to 5k miles with a full oil change every two filter changes seems good. I will be interested in reading other opinions also.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
IF I change to synthetic, you've hit on what my schedule would be mlc. I drive a lot of stop and go - so mine would be 3k and 6k respectively. I'm not sure I'm going to switch from dino oil yet, though. Mostly because I may keep using the dealer for oil changes until I'm sure I don't have any of the niggling issues we've been seeing w/ our cars - or any new ones that show up. If / when I switch to synthetic I will do my changes myself.
Dan

·
Old GTO Owner
2,812 Posts
I just stick to 5K miles, Oil and oil filter at the same time. Never ever had a problem with M1 10W30 in both my LS1 cars and now my Ecotec.

·
Registered
301 Posts
mrgto-
The ecotec would probably be happier with 5W-30, at least in the winter and while its still very new.
brian

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Synthetic oil due to it's property's, will maintain viscosity and protective barriers longer than a conventional. THis is a no brainer. As such, one with a crankcase full of synthetic motor oil can drive a little longer on that, then a crankcase of conventional "dino" oil. This once again is a no brainer.

I think the argument being stated in that article is that you aren't getting the full $$$ investment out of the sythetic you put in if you change it every 3,000 miles like conventional oil. At 3,000 miles, it still may maintain 60% of it's life vs. 10% or so for a convetional oil (those are just example purpose numbers and not scientific numbers).

Regardless, one who maintains a regular preventative lubrication schedule WON'T be hurting their engine if they continue to change their oil at such frequent intervals. It's be more of a financial issue if anything.

As the old Fram commercial said a long time ago, "It's better to spend a little now than a lot later!"

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I"ve read a few posts on how frequently we change our oil. I'm a 3000 mile guy myself.

Did anyone else read the owners manual that told us that the car mesures and tracks engine temp, RPM and distance traveled then tells us when to change the oil? The book gos on to say that some conditions may extend the life of the oil to over a YEAR and if this is the case then the oil should be changed on a yearly basis.

WTF? Seems like it could be accurate if the monitored paramiters are correct but has anyone trusted their car to tell them when it needs an oil change?

Have a nice day

red04M6-stock for now..

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
If I was driving a lease or a car for 'transportation' - not a performance car I plan on keeping for a long time - I might trust it to tell me when to get an oil change.
As far as the economic burden of changing the oil too often - it's no more than the gas money I waste every time I fire her up and go out and drive just for the fun of it!
Dan

·
Snagging your fish!!!
157 Posts
Oil is like blood, it circulates life around to the engine. I like to change mine in my Hemi, 3 to 4k, no more than that. Why not have clean oil in your engine???? Engines these days seem to run a little hotter, have more technolgy, etc, it makes sence to take care of it, not have prolonged oil change intervals. When I get my GTO, I will change oil every 3k, no longer. Oh, and just changing the oil filter, is just a really stupid idea, it is like going to the bathroom, and not using toilet paper, if you know what I mean. :D what is the point of having a new filter installed, and old dirty oil in your crankcase??? You have to get under your car anyway, why not change the oil too? Just my oppion though.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
UBDSLO1 said:
.... Oh, and just changing the oil filter, is just a really stupid idea, it is like going to the bathroom, and not using toilet paper, if you know what I mean. :D what is the point of having a new filter installed, and old dirty oil in your crankcase??? ...
No not really. Care to explain the bathroom thing??

IMHO there are times when changing the filter makes sense. It is possible that the filter gets dirty, reduces oil flow and the oil stays clean. I mean, that is what the filter is doing. cleaning the oil. So as long as this synthetic oil is not breaking down,... why not just change the filter?

I would bet that that changing the filter/oil or not every 3K or 6K has less to do with the engines life than how you or I drive it.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
OK, time to embarrass myself... I changed just my filter this weekend BECAUSE when I was messing around with the tstat I noticed oil leaking from the oil filter seal. The skid guard was filthy with oil. I assume I did not tighten the filter enough when I changed the oil a couple weeks ago. (Hand tight plus 1/4 turn.)

Rather than trying to re-tighten that filter, I bought a new one and replaced it. (Hand tight plus 1/2 turn.) It's possible the seal on the old filter was damaged, although it looked OK. I'll let you know next weekend if a new filter stopped the oil leak.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I recently had a Motocraft filter with a leaky seal on the trans cooling line of my last Probe. Replacing it with a different brand solved the problem

·
Snagging your fish!!!
157 Posts
mlc said:
No not really. Care to explain the bathroom thing??

IMHO there are times when changing the filter makes sense. It is possible that the filter gets dirty, reduces oil flow and the oil stays clean. I mean, that is what the filter is doing. cleaning the oil. So as long as this synthetic oil is not breaking down,... why not just change the filter?

I would bet that that changing the filter/oil or not every 3K or 6K has less to do with the engines life than how you or I drive it.
Then why change the oil at all? just keep changing the filter, and add a quart here and there :rolleyes: .

·
Old GTO Owner
2,812 Posts
briandors said:
mrgto-
The ecotec would probably be happier with 5W-30, at least in the winter and while its still very new.
brian

Well, conventional yea, I would say yes. With Mobil 1, it won't make any difference. It flows the same and doesn't break down as much.

·
Registered
301 Posts
mrgto said:
Well, conventional yea, I would say yes. With Mobil 1, it won't make any difference. It flows the same and doesn't break down as much.
I'd recommend you look at the product data sheets:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-30.asp

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_10W-30.asp

Although the pour points are the same, the cold temp viscosity favors the 5W and it's less dense so it should warm quicker amongst other things.

I agree the 10W-30 has less modifiers and will last longer. But I think the point at which Mobil 1 breaks down is so far past the change intervals we car buffs use (as evidenced by this study) that the extra bit of flow is worth more than the ability to go an extra 500 miles at the end of its life.

Summer, sure, 10W-30.

$0.02.

Brian

1 - 20 of 29 Posts