LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
What the....
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to drop off and pickup my son from school yesterday and picked up a bolt in my tire. Had to drive 2 miles home because my spare donut was flat and I didn't have a socket to fit the wheel lugs. So I took it slow and made it back alright. Ordered another set of rear Nitto 555 tires to replace the ones I have. Oh well......only had a little over 20k on these but they started to dry rot. Better safe than sorry.

Attachments

·
GR-RRR!
4,720 Posts
Sorry for your situation. Construction zones are such a minefield anymore, never remember them being so bad 20 years ago. People are sloppy in their work.

This is a good reminder to all to check the pressure in your spares regularly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Anyone else notice their spare's pressure drop off pretty significantly?

Not checking it too religiously, I've had mine drop from the quoted 60 psi to around 40 psi over the course of about a year. It was enough to get to me a gas station to pressure it up at the time, but not ideal.

Has anyone replaced there's due to age or wear?

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,049 Posts
"To piggyback on what he just said..."

Harbor Freight air compressor. I carry one in each car and they're fast to pump up a tire. Great for track use or an emergency.

·
GR-RRR!
4,720 Posts
A thread over a flat from a nail?

:gto_rage:
Would you prefer a post that shows real carnage? This is the result of the wife running over a 10 inch bolt in a construction zone. Blew clear through the tire and the wheel.

Attachments

·
GR-RRR!
4,720 Posts
Did you post a thread about it?
Over a decade ago when it happened I'm pretty sure I did.

To me, the original post was about how construction sites/zones are such a minefield of debris that is just waiting to destroy our tires (which I agree is the case). This didn't seem to be the case 15-20 years ago when people actually cared about the neatness and quality of their work. We shouldn't have to be concerned about picking up nails in our tires every time we drive past a building under construction or a house being roofed.

A few years back when I hired a company to take a large limb off one of my trees that was uncomfortably hanging over the roof of my house (right over our bedroom no less) I was thrilled and impressed that during the clean up of taking down the limb, cutting it into pieces and hauling it away, that two of the crew also carefully tiptoed through the flower garden at the front of the house picking up fallen leaves and twigs that were a byproduct of their work. They also swept off the roof of my house for the same reason. Other than the missing limb on the tree itself, when they left you really couldn't even tell they had been there except for a little sawdust in the grass (they even picked up most of that). When they were taking down chunks of the limb, they stacked other chunks on my lawn so when the new bigger chunks came down they landed on the earlier chucks, thus avoiding digging holes in my yard. Now THAT is how you take care and do your job well and properly. People could learn from this group of 18-20 year olds who did this tree work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts