LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gone but not forgoten
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my way to home from physical training this morning and man it was raining cats and dogs. roads were flooded. leave the last intersection leaving post here and the car hooked up no sweat. give a little gas and it was still gripping. next thing i know the car starts to buck a bit. traction control took over and i thought i was good until it seemed the tc seemed to shut off and the car slides sideways. staring at guard rail at 630am inst my idea of fun. is there someway to loose this all together. i hardly use it as it is but with the severe rain this morning i figured i leave it on

·
Registered
414 Posts
TC is there to help out but can't stop the car from missbehaving under some conditions. Now I can tell you that on dry pavement, while Auto X, I can't spin the car or break the rear end loose in turn with the TC on, so it is fine tuned prety well. It does throws me off guard because at times, going thru some of the gates, I wanted to slide the rear to correct [my shitty driving] and well, no power! lol. Funny part was at the finish line, I'd floor it and nothing, it would slowly accelerate...soo weird! it remained off for the rest of the runs, and I did a couple 360 (ooopssy!) and went sideways crossing the lights...hehe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Traction control just like ABS is there to help keep ham footed/fisted drivers (of which I'll include myself at times) out of trouble. However the laws of physics cannot be broken even by the quickest computer controlled electronics. If you are trying to change the direction or velosity of too much weight for the available traction the result will always be the same.

·
this ->pimpstatus(10);
1,113 Posts
You should have let off the gas and turned. From what I understand, you gunned it at the light, it didn't spin, you gunned some more, it spun a little then you gunned a little more and lost it.

What do you expect when you play with fire?

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
odingrey said:
You should have let off the gas and turned. From what I understand, you gunned it at the light, it didn't spin, you gunned some more, it spun a little then you gunned a little more and lost it.

What do you expect when you play with fire?
+1 i gave her a little to much gas going around a corner and her ass wagged a little bit :pimp: :drink:
but i must say this car is VERY easy to correct mistakes in,most forgiving car i have ever driven

·
smurfin' fly-by...
1,482 Posts
Get above 3k or so (hp/torque increasing) in conditions like that and start losing traction TC is not going to save you if you keep the foot in the same place; let off the gas and correct. I had something similar like that happen on a rainy day; took it easy and everything felt good so I decided to give it just a tad bit more gas very moderately as I was also coming up on a very very slight curve, hit about 3.5k, and the back end started losening up on me (actually crossed into the other lane); thought I was going to slide into the guy next to me - who luckily was paying attention and kept back.

·
god of the sea people
229 Posts
+1 TC don't work in the rain. just practice your counter steering, and then it will be like second nature. it's good to take it easy in adverse conditions, but it is best to know how to drive the car when a spin is imminent, ie diesel fuel, standing water, or sand on the road, etc.. just take it to a big empty parking lot, or the like, and practice controlled slides. its easiest to feint the car, or juke one direction and quickly steer the car in the other direction, like a pendulum to shift the weight to the outside. then just feel the car, and react. dont use the ebrake, as you will destroy it. imho, that is one of the most important things you can do to get a feel of the car(and your ability), along with practicing the 60-0 emergency stop.

·
GTO went bye-bye
1,455 Posts
if it bugs you that much, buy a TC inverter. this sets the default of the TC to 'off', but still gives you the option of putting it nack on when you want it.

Mike

·
Now Blown :)
1,412 Posts
Yeah that TC is tricky. you never really know when its doing you good and when its not doing a darn thing. I was making a sharp U turn with a little mist out, i didnt see the Semi truck making a turn so i gunned it a little to make the turn faster, needless to say i was going sideways up the road for about 25 meters before i corrected it without swinging the other way. It was fun but im sure everyone thought i was crazy! :burnout:

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
I grew up driving RWD V8's in Southern Illinois, so my instincts are so burned into that mode, I've always had a hard time adjusting to FWD and anti-lock brakes. Hell, if there was snow on the road and I was not intentionally going sideways down the road, something was wrong. (Well sideways sometimes :turbonaug)

I think I've read that there's a chip or something you can install that tells the computer to boot up with TC off. As soon as I find it, I'm ordering one. My traction control is located at the bottom of my right leg.

Gerry

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
Let me get this strait. You can't drive and your blaming traction control?

·
wills
236 Posts
ShoddyHog said:
I grew up driving RWD V8's in Southern Illinois, so my instincts are so burned into that mode, I've always had a hard time adjusting to FWD and anti-lock brakes. Hell, if there was snow on the road and I was not intentionally going sideways down the road, something was wrong. (Well sideways sometimes :turbonaug)

I think I've read that there's a chip or something you can install that tells the computer to boot up with TC off. As soon as I find it, I'm ordering one. My traction control is located at the bottom of my right leg.

Gerry
You ever find the chip or whatever, let me know...I'm in!

·
god of the sea people
229 Posts
i thought it was a plug. it's called a tc inverter. ask whiteboyslo where he got his.

·
GTO went bye-bye
1,455 Posts

·
Missing my little one.
21,341 Posts
I've got 15k on my stockers and this car is my daily driver...once the rain comes pouring down I drive a significant speed under the speed limit and keep the TC on. It's not bad to get around. Sorry this happened man, gotta be careful and respect the power.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts