LS1GTO.com Forums banner

101 - 120 of 172 Posts

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,143 Posts
Those must have inspired the MSD coils for the LS1. Sold mine "as is" for a huge loss. Never again, assholes.
We've all wasted money on :quoties:high quality:quoties: shit at one point or another in this hobby.

Now, I just sit back and watch all the people who jump on board for the latest, greatest, re-engineered, overpriced piece of shit, and then laugh when the bitchfest begins once the part breaks, warranties aren't honored, and the vendor falls off the face of the Earth.

·
a dysgenic effect participant
385 Posts
Local guy has a Camaro with special order Corvette suspension. Its like an 89. haha

Idiots.
I have always heard Chev-tards boast about any SBC V8 with a 4V intake being a “corvette engine”. It’s probably true because I owned a ’73 vette for a while and it left the factory with a piece of crap truck motor in it. I wonder what ever happen to the engine that should have come in it. Maybe it was put into Bubba’s nova by mistake?

·
17,318 Posts
I have always heard Chev-tards boast about any SBC V8 with a 4V intake being a “corvette engine”. It’s probably true because I owned a ’73 vette for a while and it left the factory with a piece of crap truck motor in it. I wonder what ever happen to the engine that should have come in it. Maybe it was put into Bubba’s nova by mistake?
When you say 4V, assume you mean Venturi, or 4 BBL? Had plenty of cars with oem 4 BBL's and none of them ever thought of as a 'corvette engine'. Would've been real funny to tell them my Buick 350 cid with the QJ was a 'corvette engine', when it didn't share much of anything with the Chevy 350.

Did crack me up in the olden days, looong before the net, where people would claim to have a corvette engine...So what, you have like 5 hp more than what was supposed to come in it :D

13,889 Posts
When you say 4V, assume you mean Venturi, or 4 BBL? Had plenty of cars with oem 4 BBL's and none of them ever thought of as a 'corvette engine'. Would've been real funny to tell them my Buick 350 cid with the QJ was a 'corvette engine', when it didn't share much of anything with the Chevy 350.

Did crack me up in the olden days, looong before the net, where people would claim to have a corvette engine...So what, you have like 5 hp more than what was supposed to come in it :D
Most of that 5 hp was due to the air cleaner and exhaust manifolds. DATS IT....and in some cases, no differences other than they rated them different.

13,889 Posts
This a TPI car, but he says its a factory Corvette suspension IROC Z. I told him he doesn't know shit. I then showed him the solid rear in his car vs. the independent in the Vette.

He still says its that way because that is what he was told when he bought it.

·
17,318 Posts
Yeah, that was the case more often than not, but there were times that the 'vette got its own engine, just like BOP. However, many times it was the same RPO and mostly the same...then they started going corporate and condensing them a lot more.

13,889 Posts
Yeah, that was the case more often than not, but there were times that the 'vette got its own engine, just like BOP. However, many times it was the same RPO and mostly the same...then they started going corporate and condensing them a lot more.
Now, in the 80s the Vette got aluminum heads half way thru the 86 year and if not mistaken the IROC/TA cars came with iron heads.

·
17,318 Posts
The 86 5.7 Z28-IROC had iron heads, but was extremely rare. Pretty sure the '87 Z28-IROC had aluminum heads on the L98 (5.7). I had one, but it's been so many years, can't recall. EDIT - don't have my official documentation in front of me, but a quick internet search states iron on the camaros, so perhaps that is true.

I think the difference between the supposed '86 L98 in IROC was it used the old style perimeter valve cover pattern vs. the centerbolt. Would take it then it also used the old rear main seal, too.

Who knows...I don't trust internet vs. official GM documentation and older written records, so will have to check what I have.

·
You should have bought...
9,025 Posts
The 86 5.7 Z28-IROC had iron heads, but was extremely rare. Pretty sure the '87 Z28-IROC had aluminum heads on the L98 (5.7). I had one, but it's been so many years, can't recall.
I had an 87 5.7 IROC, and I thought it was iron heads. Now I'll have to dig through the archives.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,143 Posts
All TPI F-Bodies came with iron heads. The 113 aluminum Vette heads are/were a desirable upgrade.

If I remember correctly, the '86 L98 was not a hydraulic roller motor.

13,889 Posts
All TPI F-Bodies came with iron heads. The 113 aluminum Vette heads are/were a desirable upgrade.

If I remember correctly, the '86 L98 was not a hydraulic roller motor.
Correct. Old style block, old style cam, first year of the C4 with NON forged internals. It did get the upgraded Doug Nash 4+3 unit, the 84-85 was more prone to failure. Also, the manual tranny cars and the 3.07 rear gear automatics I think (I know the manuals did) came with the DANA 44.

·
Banned
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
'86 was a bastard year for the SBC - all '86 blocks were one-piece rear main seal, but did not have the fittings for the roller cam and they had perimeter bolt heads. '87 was the first year for roller cams and center bolt valve covers.

13,889 Posts
'86 was a bastard year for the SBC - all '86 blocks were one-piece rear main seal, but did not have the fittings for the roller cam and they had perimeter bolt heads. '87 was the first year for roller cams and center bolt valve covers.
Yup. They used good shit for the tranny and rear and used old fucking blocks with new heads and cast pistons. Lol

·
Banned
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Finally got around to swapping out the fuel injectors today. Picked up a good used set (new style) from a 4.6 Mustang off ebay for $53. It's been 25 years prolly since the last time I had a TPI plenum apart. I had forgotten how badly I wanted to punch the guy who designed that abortion in the mouth. I was reminded today. I believe if I ever decide to pull that engine outta this car to make room for something else that I will probably just cut the wiring harness off of it. I'll be damned if I'm taking that motherfucker apart again.

101 - 120 of 172 Posts