LS1GTO.com Forums banner

121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Finally got around to swapping out the fuel injectors today. Picked up a good used set (new style) from a 4.6 Mustang off ebay for $53. It's been 25 years prolly since the last time I had a TPI plenum apart. I had forgotten how badly I wanted to punch the guy who designed that abortion in the mouth. I was reminded today. I believe if I ever decide to pull that engine outta this car to make room for something else that I will probably just cut the wiring harness off of it. I'll be damned if I'm taking that mothersmurfer apart again.
I'm impressed if you get it together without vacuum leaks.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,143 Posts
Finally got around to swapping out the fuel injectors today. Picked up a good used set (new style) from a 4.6 Mustang off ebay for $53. It's been 25 years prolly since the last time I had a TPI plenum apart. I had forgotten how badly I wanted to punch the guy who designed that abortion in the mouth. I was reminded today. I believe if I ever decide to pull that engine outta this car to make room for something else that I will probably just cut the wiring harness off of it. I'll be damned if I'm taking that mothersmurfer apart again.
The Mustang injectors work for them?

I have Bosch 22 lbers and a Holley Stealth Ram that have been sitting in my garage for 6 years now waiting to go on to my cousin's '88 Firebird. They came with the purchase of the car. Just have never gotten around to doing it, mostly because every time I turn around, something else has broken on it.

It is almost to the point where I have seen a couple good Camaro rollers on Craigslist and I'm thinking it would be easiest to just yank the motor and trans out of the 'Bird and toss them into the shell. That mostly has to do with my hatred for flip-up headlights.

·
Banned
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Fuel injectors are fairly universal - at least in regard to how they install. There are a couple different styles of connectors. These cars use an EV1 style connector, some of the later model fords and gms use EV6 style connectors. They make adapters for them though. The other thing that differs is impedance. These cars use a 16 ohm injector.

·
NineInchNutswinger
3,240 Posts
So is the bishin' Camaro running now or what?...

·
12,143 Posts
Fuel injectors are fairly universal - at least in regard to how they install. There are a couple different styles of connectors. These cars use an EV1 style connector, some of the later model fords and gms use EV6 style connectors. They make adapters for them though. The other thing that differs is impedance. These cars use a 16 ohm injector.
That's right. I forgot a popular swap are those Ford green tops or whatever they are referred to.

I have LS3 injectors in my 04. I like the adapters that Racetronix makes because they are compact and look like part of the injector at a quick glance.

As opposed to some of the other offerings that are much less compact:

·
Banned
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Yep, I don't care for the pigtail style adapters either. They look like shit installed.

·
Banned
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
So is the bishin' Camaro running now or what?...
Yep, runs great. Took it for a drive today in fact. Now it's time to get rid of it.

Trade the Camaro for my Ninja. Your need for speed will be complete.
Have you lost your mind? I wouldn't trade it for a whole shipping container full of Ninjas. lol

I'll probably advertise it for 12,500 and see what happens. I've never owned one of these cars that's as clean and nice as this one is, even back in the 80s when they were still 'new'. lol

·
NineInchNutswinger
3,240 Posts

·
NineInchNutswinger
3,240 Posts
M58 gives me $200, I take it off his hands.

Let the bidding begin.... :drink:

·
NineInchNutswinger
3,240 Posts
The Mustang injectors work for them?

I have Bosch 22 lbers and a Holley Stealth Ram that have been sitting in my garage for 6 years now waiting to go on to my cousin's '88 Firebird. They came with the purchase of the car. Just have never gotten around to doing it, mostly because every time I turn around, something else has broken on it.

It is almost to the point where I have seen a couple good Camaro rollers on Craigslist and I'm thinking it would be easiest to just yank the motor and trans out of the 'Bird and toss them into the shell. That mostly has to do with my hatred for flip-up headlights.
When we did the injectors in my fathers 93 LT1 we used some Ford injectors. I think just 31 pounders or something. Its been years and I cant remember.
It was the Ford SVO or SVT or SVwutever injectors that were popular swaps for these back in the day.

·
Banned
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
The 305 cars had 19lb injectors and the 350 cars had 22lb injectors. I'm not too familiar with all the color coding, but the injectors I put in the car were advertised as 19lb and they are yellow in color. It runs exactly like it did before so they must be correct. The ones that came out of it were original and they were gray in color.

·
12,143 Posts
I'll probably advertise it for 12,500 and see what happens. I've never owned one of these cars that's as clean and nice as this one is, even back in the 80s when they were still 'new'. lol
I saw one Firebird a few years back that was the cleanest 3rd Gen I had ever seen. It was a 305 TBI, auto car, but damn, was it spotless and all-original. I think it was an 86 or 87. No rust. No paint chips. The underside was just as clean as the body.

·
Banned
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Mine is that clean. I need to get rid of it though before cave in to the urge to hack it up. lol

A 230hp 305 just doesn't cut the mustard for me.

·
12,143 Posts
Eventually, I would like to find a 5 speed 3rd gen to have as a cruiser. I briefly had an 88 Camaro, but I started planning a motor swap and other shit for it, so I dumped it before I opened a can of worms I wasn't really ready to deal with at the time.

·
Banned
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I don't know what it is about these cars, but they sure do drive good. It must be the curb weight, I dunno. I shudder to think about just how many cars I have driven in my lifetime...the 3rd gen F-bodies continue to be one of my favorite platforms. I just wish they had better build quality. The '90 and later models did, GM conducted a review of their manufacturing processes and the bodies on these cars were strengthened as a result. More spot welds, better seam sealing, etc. The interiors were still junk though. :(

121 - 140 of 172 Posts