LS1GTO.com Forums banner

141 - 160 of 172 Posts

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,143 Posts
The interiors are junk and the 4th gens aren't much better, but they are pretty much a bolt-in swap. Actually, I think most of the 4th gen stuff is just about a bolt-in deal.

The cars do drive well, and even though my cousin's '88 GTA isn't the most well-maintained car by any stretch of the imagination, I still don't mind driving it. Of course, I also prefer them over the 4th gens because the motor isn't hidden under the cowl. That was one of the stupidest decisions that GM ever made.

I didn't know about the strengthening of the chassis in '90, though. That makes me want to look more closely for a '90-'92.

·
Banned
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I absolutely HATE a 4th gen F-body. I pretty much lost my allegiance to GM when they started producing those abortions.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,143 Posts
"Oh hai, guyz. 90's GM exec here. So, I know you want to show off that new engine of yours, but I was at Red Lobster and had an epiphany inbetween mah chedda biscuitz n skrimpz to hide the engine under the cowl, but let's go ahead and keep the nose long so there is a ton of dead space for technicians to lose their tools. Kthxbai."

·
NineInchNutswinger
3,240 Posts
I didn't know about the strengthening of the chassis in '90, though. That makes me want to look more closely for a '90-'92.
Big time. My '92 Z was VER solid- minimal squeaks and rattles even by today's standards. The people who were used to driving 3rd gens always complimented how good the interior and car was put together compared to older ones. Was still good when I sold it.

Fuck driving 4th gens, not even taking into account working under the hood of one. That steep windshield, picnic table sized dashboard, and horrendous blind spots just don't make the car fun to drive even though it was a good performer. Wanted one when the 98 LS1s came out but was a deal breaker.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,657 Posts
The '90 and later models did, GM conducted a review of their manufacturing processes and the bodies on these cars were strengthened as a result. More spot welds, better seam sealing, etc. The interiors were still junk though. :(
I thought it was because the molds were getting so bad they had to add all the sealer and stuff. It just turned out to be a better build.

The Van Nuys cars were built a lot better than the Norwood cars. My 1984 Z28 HO was a rattle trap. My 1989 TTA was solid as could be about on par to my 96 WS6 Formula. All fun cars :gears:

13,889 Posts
Yep, runs great. Took it for a drive today in fact. Now it's time to get rid of it.

Have you lost your mind? I wouldn't trade it for a whole shipping container full of Ninjas. lol

I'll probably advertise it for 12,500 and see what happens. I've never owned one of these cars that's as clean and nice as this one is, even back in the 80s when they were still 'new'. lol
I have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All TPI F-Bodies came with iron heads. The 113 aluminum Vette heads are/were a desirable upgrade.

If I remember correctly, the '86 L98 was not a hydraulic roller motor.
No such animal as an 86 L98. RPO L98 5.7 didn't start until 87. Approx 50 non VIN 86 Iroc test mules were fitted with corvette 5.7s and thoroughly thrashed and then crushed. For years people have claimed to have one of these cars secretly snuck out the back door and sold but not one has ever been found true.

·
Suffering Fools
15,271 Posts
And for the last 6 years I've been telling everybody that there was an L98 in 1986. Thanks for correcting that.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a '91 1LE Z28 that is an original, un-molested low miles collector car that I don't drive very often. I'm the 3rd owner of the car and it only has 37,XXX miles on it. Today I decided to get it out and take it for a drive this morning to go get some breakfast. Drove it about 14 miles to where I was going and parked it. Went in, ate breakfast and then headed back home with it. I made it about 2 miles on the trip back and the motherfucker just quit running at highway speed. (Ask me if I was mad) Anyway, did some troubleshooting when I finally got it home (had it towed) and ruled out fuel and spark...and the VATS - albeit tentatively. I can't figure out wtf is wrong with it. Has great fuel pressure, I swapped out the ign. module...checked the VATS system and it seems to be working ok. (This car has a resistor key) It'll start and run just briefly and then it just stumbles and stalls. Occasionally it will make an initial stumble and then pick back up again, but then it'll stumble again and stall. It acts just like it runs out of fuel...like the injector pulse is stopping. If the VATS was malfunctioning I would expect a security light when it stalls but this is not the case. Any of you meatheads ever run across this issue in an older GM product before? The car has an LB9 TPI 305 in it.
Look for a vacuum leak, after fuel and spark it's next on the hit parade. Those OBD1 ecms can't deal with much more than a fairly pedistrian vac signal.

·
Unaware of loss, Nor of gain
8,157 Posts
Look for a vacuum leak, after fuel and spark it's next on the hit parade. Those OBD1 ecms can't deal with much more than a fairly pedistrian vac signal.
Banned years back and post is 6 years old. I wouldn't trust his troubleshooting skills either. 😂

·
Registered
868 Posts
If it was a real 1LE car it would def be a keeper being the rarest of offerings. Didn’t read through all 8 pages but wondered if he checked the fuel pressure regulator.

·
Unaware of loss, Nor of gain
8,157 Posts
If it was a real 1LE car it would def be a keeper being the rarest of offerings. Didn’t read through all 8 pages but wondered if he checked the fuel pressure regulator.
Still have a white 1991 Firebird Formula 350 1LE. Like it better than the Trans Ams that year.

141 - 160 of 172 Posts