LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the cheapest way to get an extra 50HP and TQ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Sneaky Pete. N2O

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HRJ said:
Sneaky Pete. N2O

Let me clarify, an 'always on' power increase.

:cool:

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Cam at the minimum.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Cheapest or easiest ? A cam will get it, but i don't consider that easy. I would say full exhaust and tune is the easiest and a cam with tune is the cheapest.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Full exhaust ain't cheap or easy either!

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Fast GTO, I had the welder at my shop look at the exhaust system on the GTO the other day and he said that he should be able to fabricate a system for it fairly easily. He does amazing work by the way. We don't have a mandrel bender but a 2.5" system with some higher flowing mufflers should free up some HP

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Our restrictions aren't in the stock mufflers, but rather the diameter of the tubing.

The system on our car is easily copied in a bigger tube setup. Just unbolt it from the flange after the resonators, unhook it from the hangers and you've got it off.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
This exhaust at least doesn't come over the rear axle like the fbodies. With the OE coming off in one piece i think the exhaust can be done easier. LTs will be the rate limiting step.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
That was the difficulty I was referring to I suppose, I love the truck style flange setup. Just unbolt and go. :)

·
--Insert witty comment here--
570 Posts
I have a friend here in Vegas that owns a mandrel bender. He will be bending me a full 3" dual system from the headers back. If anyone is interested, email or PM me, he can make as many as needed.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Hasn't anyone else thought of putting 1.85:1 rockers in? They fit all other LS1s why not ours?

I forget the exact spec on the lift but lets just round off to an even 500 lift based on a 1.75 rocker, with a 1.85 that is now a 529 lift cam. Not too shabby and only about $400 for the set from Comp. They can be installed without too much fuss and surely a lot easier than a cam. Their shouldnt be a problem with clearance since I was running .596/.601 lift on my factory LS6 motor in the Z06. That should be good for at least a tenth or so in the 1/4. Heck I dropped like .3 in the 1/4 when I went to 1.9 rockers in the GTP and another 2 with tuning. Now that was coming from a 1.6:1 rocker but I am sure that you do stand to gain a noticable amount with doing rockers. They are one of my planned mods.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
LT's CIA and Tune = @ 50 hp.

·
BattleHerks Forever
310 Posts
Shag Finger said:
Hasn't anyone else thought of putting 1.85:1 rockers in? They fit all other LS1s why not ours?

I forget the exact spec on the lift but lets just round off to an even 500 lift based on a 1.75 rocker, with a 1.85 that is now a 529 lift cam. Not too shabby and only about $400 for the set from Comp. They can be installed without too much fuss and surely a lot easier than a cam. Their shouldnt be a problem with clearance since I was running .596/.601 lift on my factory LS6 motor in the Z06. That should be good for at least a tenth or so in the 1/4. Heck I dropped like .3 in the 1/4 when I went to 1.9 rockers in the GTP and another 2 with tuning. Now that was coming from a 1.6:1 rocker but I am sure that you do stand to gain a noticable amount with doing rockers. They are one of my planned mods.
I put 1.85 SLP rockers on my car, I think it may have done more harm than good. Best 1/4 time 14.2 @ 98 mph. but I haven't been back to the dyno either.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Not many like 1.85 rocker arms, lot of people just swap back to stock after a while. And you can't use 1.85 rocker arms with about 75% of aftermarket cams.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
A) You can't use 1.85 rockers with many high lift cams
B) When you do high lift rockers on these motors, it is also recommended that you do valve springs, titanium retainers and the works.

All the sudden a cheap set of rocker arms turns into a $600 project that may benefit you with a stock motor, but the minute you modify the cam, you're gonna have to yank them and put something a little less back in. Most likely stock 1.7:1 ratio.

That's why I didn't mention it.

·
BattleHerks Forever
310 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
A) You can't use 1.85 rockers with many high lift cams
B) When you do high lift rockers on these motors, it is also recommended that you do valve springs, titanium retainers and the works.

All the sudden a cheap set of rocker arms turns into a $600 project that may benefit you with a stock motor, but the minute you modify the cam, you're gonna have to yank them and put something a little less back in. Most likely stock 1.7:1 ratio.

That's why I didn't mention it.
Yup, I had to replace spring and retainers too. The wierd thing is that I did the same mod to my camaro and got good results, It seems to me that the GTO is a lot more picky than the F bods were. (PCM Maybe? I don't know)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts