LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Loyd @ SNL Performance
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 450HP '65 Chevelle, It has "Southside Machine" Traction bars on the rear end. When I lauch the chevelle it doesn't sqwat down in the back it just goes.
I look at the dyno video's and stuff and I see the Rear end on the GTO Sqwat as do most vehicles but, The southside machine traction bars keep the rear end from torquing over and prevent the downward motion, how does the downward mothion take place on the GTO when it has an IRS... can't do traction bars on an IRS... How would this motion be stopped.

Sorry for the Long post but its the best way I can think of to ask.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Traction bars keep the leaf springs from torquing and reduce the rear end's desire to free itself from it's shackles (pun intended). Trailing arm's a different beast, IRS or not. Squat's not such a bad thing for launching. It makes the power transfer to the tires less abrupt, and mitigates some of the shock throughout the driveline.

·
Loyd @ SNL Performance
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Corvettes have the same rearend setup... is there a setup to stop a corvette from doing this?

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Well, GM has a built in stopper for the rear end assembly to hit the frame under heavy accelleration (most of us early owners know about it because we had it installed as the 'thunk in the trunk' fix). While I didn't see the pieces exactly - it's a longer install bolt for the carraige and a rubber / poly stopper. I suppose you could look at extending that bolt further and putting a bigger stopper in there as a simple 'traction bar' type setup. Stiffer springs would also help. Keep in mind, without stickier (probably much stickier) tires - you will just be spinning more. Depending on your theory - you will probably reduce wheel hop though.
Dan

·
Loyd @ SNL Performance
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will start looking for this in the aftermarket stuff for the vette... Thanks

·
Registered
588 Posts
DFWGTO said:
I have a 450HP '65 Chevelle, It has "Southside Machine" Traction bars on the rear end. When I lauch the chevelle it doesn't sqwat down in the back it just goes.
I look at the dyno video's and stuff and I see the Rear end on the GTO Sqwat as do most vehicles but, The southside machine traction bars keep the rear end from torquing over and prevent the downward motion, how does the downward mothion take place on the GTO when it has an IRS... can't do traction bars on an IRS... How would this motion be stopped.

Sorry for the Long post but its the best way I can think of to ask.
Mistermike is correct. You do need some energy transfer dampening to help get you off the line. Springs will help some. We will be posting Free Shipping on our Eibach Pro Kits listed in the Sales and Group Purchases section starting today.

Performance struts/shocks would also help, once the aftermarket companies bring them to market. We are working with one of the aftermarket manufacturers on Gravana-branded adjustable strut/shock program for the GTO, but will not have anything for sale until later this year.

I hope this helps...

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts