LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a stupid question but I dont feel like asking a salesman at a stereo shop so here it goes...If you replace the factory HU do you have to replace any of the factory speakers? I remember when replacing other factory HU's on other cars there were times I also had to replace the speakers (diferent olms). Is this the case on the gto's?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
528 Posts
No, you don't necessarily have to replace the speakers. But they are 2ohm speakers and a lot of aftermarket HUs will not be 2ohm stable. Read a little in this forum and you'll find lots of good info.

Little explanation: The aftermarket HU will not have enough power to deal with your speakers. Also the HU we have is not that bad. You should change the speakers out first, that will help the sound much more.

BUT if you change the speakers you will have a HU that is not well matched and they will sound less loud (but you could just live with that). So you could get 2ohm speakers and be just fine (most aftermarket speakers are 4ohm). The standard recommendation are the JBL GTO series.

Till

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Dude, the stock speakers are Korean made paper cone jobbies and they are by far the weakest link in the stock stereo. Start with good speakers and work backward from there until you're happy/broke.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts