LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are our rims brushed aluminum???
i know this is a stupid question. but i know a guy who does chrome and he might be able to do at a great price. so i need to make sure. what does everyone think of our rims in chrome??

·
Registered
980 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
are our rims brushed aluminum???
i know this is a stupid question. but i know a guy who does chrome and he might be able to do at a great price. so i need to make sure. what does everyone think of our rims in chrome??
I dont think they are brushed, they look painted to me. BUT I have seen them chromed on a yellow GTO. They do look awesome!

If you can get them chromed at a great price then go for it! Usually the price to rims chromed is about the same as new chrome ones. Also keep in mind that our rims may have a simplistic look (which I like) but the corners are really hard to clean if in a rush.

Just some ideas,
_DM

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so can anyone confirm if we have painted or brushed???? anyone? maybe DY?

·
Registered
980 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
Brochure states: 17-inch, five-spoke satin-silver painted alloy wheels

·
Registered
541 Posts
wheel finish

GTOdriver7 said:
I cannot be sure without using a sharp knife, which I don't wish to do. I've been down this road before. Some others believe the finish is brushed aluminum but I would stake my life it is some kind of powder/epoxy finish (on top of aluminum). If that is bare aluminum we're looking at, it is certainly the most unusual finish I've seen, but maybe it's something new.
It appears almost identical to what was on my Bonneville, and that is definitely "paint".
The good news is that it can definitely be chromed, as shown several places. With what life expectancy I cannot say. Presumably they strip off the finished and go from there. I posted this link earlier to show what chromed factory wheels look like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ry=7244&item=2474842805&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

I emailed one chromer to ask if they were doing exchanges on GTO wheels yet but they didn't answer me. If anyone knows of a reputable chromer who has bought GTO wheels to chrome and exchange yet, I'd sure like to know about it.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i like that alot. so its sounding like they are painted. what does everyone think of the chrome rims

·
Registered
86 Posts
They are coated with some sort of paint; I accidentally scraped my rear right rim at the parking lot :( and ;you can see there are like 2 coatings and then the aluminum

·
Registered
980 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
i like that alot. so its sounding like they are painted. what does everyone think of the chrome rims
I do not have any intention of changing the exterior of mine anytime soon.

With that said, I thing that the chorme looks best on the non-metallic colors (red, yellow, black, impulse, and cosmos) and the painted or true brushed would look good on all colors.

For me the contrast level is not right to make the rims stand out when done on a metallic car. The brushed metal look looks better on the metallic colors because it seems to flow better. This effect is lost with chromed rims but the contrast level is really high on non-metallic and the rims really make their presence known.

_DM

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i just talked to my soon to be father-in-law and gave him as much of the info on the rims as i could. he is gonna talk to his buddy who is in the chroming business and see if it can be done. he said that they do top notch work for motorcycle rims and stuff like that so he isn't sure if our rims will are doable. i also asked him to ask his buddy about doing the plastic grills in our front fascia. i saw how BillyGoatGruffs GTO looked w/ this done and it looked great. so we will see what happens.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dmonty said:

With that said, I thing that the chorme looks best on the non-metallic colors (red, yellow, black, impulse, and cosmos) and the painted or true brushed would look good on all colors.

For me the contrast level is not right to make the rims stand out when done on a metallic car. The brushed metal look looks better on the metallic colors because it seems to flow better. This effect is lost with chromed rims but the contrast level is really high on non-metallic and the rims really make their presence known.

_DM

i think that chrome rims on black would look AWESOME. i had 18" chrome mille miglias on my Black GTP. and man did that car turn heads.
i also think that since the stock exhaust tip is chrome, some other chrome accents on the exterior would really add to looks.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
My dealer has a set of chromed stock wheels for $1100 w/trade in.

They look awesome. I am seriously thinking about it.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Huntress said:
My dealer has a set of chromed stock wheels for $1100 w/trade in.

They look awesome. I am seriously thinking about it.
nice
which dealer is this?

you HAVE TO post pics if you get them

·
Registered
133 Posts
1stChildhood said:
I cannot be sure without using a sharp knife, which I don't wish to do. I've been down this road before. Some others believe the finish is brushed aluminum but I would stake my life it is some kind of powder/epoxy finish (on top of aluminum). If that is bare aluminum we're looking at, it is certainly the most unusual finish I've seen, but maybe it's something new.
It appears almost identical to what was on my Bonneville, and that is definitely "paint".
The good news is that it can definitely be chromed, as shown several places. With what life expectancy I cannot say. Presumably they strip off the finished and go from there. I posted this link earlier to show what chromed factory wheels look like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ry=7244&item=2474842805&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

I emailed one chromer to ask if they were doing exchanges on GTO wheels yet but they didn't answer me. If anyone knows of a reputable chromer who has bought GTO wheels to chrome and exchange yet, I'd sure like to know about it.

Mine are painted I had one of the pink dot wheels start pealing after a couple of car washes. Dealer replaced it, but now I want to repaint the pink dot on it so that it matches the other wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
dmonty said:

_DM
Actually, Black, Impulse and Cosmos are all metallic. Just a little FYI :wall:

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
04bluegto said:
I think the wheels look good. Chrome only if your going to be adding on chrome items. My Blazer looked too nice when all cleaned up black and chrome the best way to go nothing compares to that combo.
i agree. if the price is right and he is able to do it i definitely want to have my front grils done. and maybe my rims if it isn't too much

·
Registered
980 Posts
Thanatos said:
Actually, Black, Impulse and Cosmos are all metallic. Just a little FYI :wall:
Ok, I should have said more metal looking, LOL

Thanks for the info!

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I'd like to see them in "black chrome" I'm not a big fan of the standard chrome rim.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts