LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a lot of stuff between the trunk and the driver's seat- gas tank, rear seats...
I'm buying 2 15" L7 kickers and I need to figure out if I make a box in the trunk or if I strap it to the back seats.
I never had a car before that had a gas tank in between back seats and the trunk, so I have no clue if it's gonna work or not
Please advise

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
How loud are you trying to make it? I have 1 12" in the trunk and it's plenty loud for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the same 10, box and amp that came out of my Avalon now in my GTO and it is louder than it was in the Avalon. I was surprised. Same head unit as well. No amp adjustments or anything. I am actually pulling signal away from the sub at the head unit now. I think I will eventually do the subs in the rear panels.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have 2 10 inch Kicker Comp Rs in a ported box on a Kicker CX1200.1 amp in my trunk. It slams really hard even thru the gas tank and seats and all that. I have solid grounds and a OFC 4g wiring kit and my voltage is still dropping pretty hard.

If you're doing 2 15 inch l7s I'm assuming you'll be trying to push even more watts than I am. The Caprice PPV alternator is a direct drop in for more amps (170 vs 145 stock), and do the big 3 upgrade for sure.

I'd never put subs in my rear seat for risk of the car being broken into and them being stolen. There' some seriously shady and also stupid people out there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have 2 10 inch Kicker Comp Rs in a ported box on a Kicker CX1200.1 amp in my trunk. It slams really hard even thru the gas tank and seats and all that. I have solid grounds and a OFC 4g wiring kit and my voltage is still dropping pretty hard.

If you're doing 2 15 inch l7s I'm assuming you'll be trying to push even more watts than I am. The Caprice PPV alternator is a direct drop in for more amps (170 vs 145 stock), and do the big 3 upgrade for sure.

I'd never put subs in my rear seat for risk of the car being broken into and them being stolen. There' some seriously shady and also stupid people out there.
They are hidden behind the panels. They can’t be seen.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I measured the trunk and it looks like I could do a ported 36"x18"x16" box which equals 6 cu ft, while 3 cu ft is the minimum volume for a 15" L7, so it might work in the trunk
Right now I'm trying to figure out if I need two amps or a single one. I'm thinking 1kW each RMS. Single big cap or two smaller ones. I'm also putting up second battery in the back. Or should I just get a single 15" L7 and make a really good 5+ cu ft box for it? I'm thinking two of them, but there's not enough room. Might make a 8+cu ft box in the backseat instead. I live in a good area and the tint is so dark, you wouldn't see the subs from the outside, plus you'd have to remove a seat to steal the box

this is the amp selection I'm looking at

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for the input.
I've had many subs before. My latest were 2x 12" comp VRs in a sealed box in my 3000GT. But it was a hatch, so there was no problem with placement. I decided I need to move on to dual L7s, but never had subs in the trunk, so it's hard to decide how I want to do it

·
Would you like the foot long?
481 Posts
IMG_2994 (2).jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lots of sound deadener and remove the factory subs... In the trunk is fine. I run two (2) 8" subs ported box, and you can see the windshield flex

·
Respect mah Authoritay!
258 Posts
I put two open air 8" subs in the rear deck. I like that I still have all of the limited space in the trunk that we started with. Here is a link to some details on my install. http://teamgs.org/gto_sub_install.htm

Gary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts