LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few questions/thoughts for those thinking about sound system mods:

Does anyone know what the 10 speaker sizes are and where the ones that do not have obvious grills are located. How about the amp?

I noticed that the is also a subwoofer fuse in the interior fuse box. This would lead one to think that there is a separate amp for the stock sub(s).

Does anyone know if there are speakers between the rear seat and the trunk? I had a friend ride in the back and he swears that there are speakers behind the rear seat.

Saturday I am bringing my goat into my friends stereo shop to see what can be done. In my 02 Monte Carlo I had a single 12" JL sub with a 100.2 amp in the trunk. I must commend the stock goat system. It does sound REALLY GOOD for a stock system, but I am used to that nice thump. My plan is to have a custom box built for the more open side of the trunk. Of course with our trunk size this box will have to be easily removeable in case I need to put something that takes over 7 cubic feet in the trunk.

I will post any thing I find out after my visit to the stereo shop.

Good luck all!
_DM

·
Registered
72 Posts
>A few questions/thoughts for those thinking about sound system mods:
>
>Does anyone know what the 10 speaker sizes are and where the ones that >do not have obvious grills are located. How about the amp?

6 1/2 inch woofer with whizzer cone in the front doors
6 1/2 inch coax on the rear sides
8 inch (i think) subs on the rear deck
~2inch tweeters behind the "vents" on top of the dash

>I noticed that the is also a subwoofer fuse in the interior fuse box. This >would lead one to think that there is a separate amp for the stock sub(s).

The sub amp is in the trunk on the driver's side.

>Does anyone know if there are speakers between the rear seat and the >trunk? I had a friend ride in the back and he swears that there are speakers >behind the rear seat.

Not behind. But on the deck lid.

>Saturday I am bringing my goat into my friends stereo shop to see what can >be done. In my 02 Monte Carlo I had a single 12" JL sub with a 100.2 amp in >the trunk. I must commend the stock goat system. It does sound REALLY >GOOD for a stock system, but I am used to that nice thump. My plan is to >have a custom box built for the more open side of the trunk. Of course with >our trunk size this box will have to be easily removeable in case I need to >put something that takes over 7 cubic feet in the trunk.

>I will post any thing I find out after my visit to the stereo shop.

>Good luck all!

I'd like to see install pics when you are done.

I'm installing my system in my free time (basically zero) and my two month saga is almost coming to an end...

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
As far as I understand it, 2 Subs in the rear deck. There is an amp for the subs somewhere in the trunk. Then you have a co-axial speeker in each door and a co-axial speeker in the rear side pannels. That is where they get 10. They count the co-axials as 2 speekers each. I do not know if there are addtional amps beyound the sub's

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blue,

I just found the specs from the Blaupunkt link on this page (bottom):
http://www.pontiac.com/gto/specs_view_all.jsp

It lists the following:
The Blaupunkt AM/FM stereo includes 10 strategically located speakers, and provides standard features like:

• Equalizer (EQ) built into its preset to adjust to various types of music
• Auto station memory that automatically locks in the six strongest station
• Two 2-inch tweeters in the dash, a 5-inch speaker in each door, coaxial speakers in the rear side panels, and a pair of 7-inch subwoofers in the parcel shelf.

I guess I will be finding out which is correct soon. I like the 6.5's because I have a pair MB Quarts just sittin' around.

_DM

·
Registered
72 Posts
I found that my infinity perfect 6.1 components (6.5") pretty much dropped right in, with only minor clearancing. This is one part of the install that actually done.
I'm trying to get a RF1501BD and RF801X hamp to fit in the trunk now.

I'd say go with your MB quarts.

dmonty said:
Blue,

I just found the specs from the Blaupunkt link on this page (bottom):
http://www.pontiac.com/gto/specs_view_all.jsp

It lists the following:
The Blaupunkt AM/FM stereo includes 10 strategically located speakers, and provides standard features like:

• Equalizer (EQ) built into its preset to adjust to various types of music
• Auto station memory that automatically locks in the six strongest station
• Two 2-inch tweeters in the dash, a 5-inch speaker in each door, coaxial speakers in the rear side panels, and a pair of 7-inch subwoofers in the parcel shelf.

I guess I will be finding out which is correct soon. I like the 6.5's because I have a pair MB Quarts just sittin' around.

_DM

·
Si vis pacem, paro bellum
761 Posts
If i remember right, the specs dmonty posted are correct except i thought that the mid's were 6.5" not 5". as far as the subs go, i have a friend at a local Stereo One shop that is wanting to get hold of my goat to fit 2 10s in the rear deck lid. i'll be interested to see if he can do it.
mike

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, went to the stereo shop today. My original plan was to have my existing 12" JL and amp put into a box and have it butted into the drivers side of the trunk.

New plan: Add false bottom to trunk and have my single 12" JL centered in trunk. The amp will be installed underneath the false bottom and will have fans to move air over the amp.

BTW, how many of you have looked at the spare tire? FYI, our spare tire has a KICK ASS rim on it!!!

I am also leaning towards having neon/LED lamps installed under the trunk lid since they will be digging into the wiring anyway.

Anyway, I will be adding the sub first and then workinig back to front with the speakers.

_DM

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
phobos512 said:
Neon? Lamps? Ugh...what do you think you're driving here, a Civic?
Whoa MAN!!! That was serious slam!!!

First of all, I plan on showing this car, not that it doesnt show itself as is. Unfortunately some car shows are during the night and without light the judges would not be able to give justice to my mods on the goat.

Second, everyone knows this car is a sleeper and when it comes to shows you need to get attention, otherwise its a sunfire with a GrandAm with grill inserts.

I have been working with my stereo shop for about 3 weeks now just on the design of how to install my sub in the trunk. Do you think I should run a shop light out to my trunk to illuminate the work? I think bathing the work in blue light (color coordinated) would really accent the car.

I did some serious work to my retired Monte Carlo for the shows and like to think I did a good job and have taste. Please check my site and see for yourself: http://216.117.140.21/mc/mc.asp

I will grant you that I did not put neon in the trunk to show off the stereo, but that was a universal speaker box. For the GTO I am having it done totally custom and made for show. The stereo shop will also benefit from this from advertising and the price tag is not exactly in the low range if you get my drift. I

Lastly, I am so VERY proud of my goat!!! And just to let you know I have changed many of my interior bulbs to blue bulbs, again color matching, just like the colored gauges that are found on many civics, just like the brushed metal trim that is on the goat dash, just like the pedals that your feet push on when you drive the goat.

Just try to keep in mind that although the ricers can be really annoying and many of their mods are... (I refuse to stir up anything here) But the point is that some good does indeed come out of all of the trial and error that they go through. I prefer to sit back and do my research and see what works and then take advantage of what actually works for them.

Just some things to consider in the future,
_DM

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I would love to see pics when you are done.
:drink: :drink:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can count on seeing pics!

I will also get pics of the back of the stock radio as well since it is a mystery as to what connections are back there. Hopefully there are pre-amp outs and reaching further I hope there are inputs.

_DM

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry DM, there are no pre-amp outputs, only speaker level outputs. As for inputs, the only input is a cellphone mono input.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Subwoofer and Amp Installed

Tails said:
I would love to see pics when you are done.
:drink: :drink:
http://216.117.140.21/GTO/gto.asp

The install took 9 hours but was well worth it!! I will post better pics soon, it was dark when I got home tonite but you can get the idea of what it looks like. Feel free to let me know if you like/dislike.

Now to start on the cabin speakers and get the neon istalled under the deck lid to show off this beauty!!!

_DM

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
dmonty said:
http://216.117.140.21/GTO/gto.asp

The install took 9 hours but was well worth it!! I will post better pics soon, it was dark when I got home tonite but you can get the idea of what it looks like. Feel free to let me know if you like/dislike.

Now to start on the cabin speakers and get the neon istalled under the deck lid to show off this beauty!!!

_DM
DNS registration finallly ran out!!

Use http://216.117.140.21/

Gonna change domain names to drop the 'SS' anywho! Good thing I am IT aware or I might have been a bit flustered!

Thanks all!!
_DM

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
04bluegto said:
you killed your whole trunk for 1 sub?
I'm assuming he had something made to cover that in case he needs to use the trunk?

293 Posts
that looks really clean

so what was done? remove the spare tire and excess trim/coverings, then sound deadening, then fiberglass to mold the bottom of the trunk area, mdf on top for a flat surface and to mount the sub? where is the amp? hidden inside with fans? nice.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts