LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
7,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading home from work tonight, always never MMOB cuz its 2 in the morning. See some lights heading up fast. So he passes me and I see its a brand new WRX (not STI) so i figure what the hell, i have a buddy to haul ass home with, so i hop behind him and we run up the highway for a bit at 90-100 mph. Then he pops over and slows down, so at this point im thinking he has radar and theres a cop, so i slow down with him, then he just frickin nails it. Well needless to say he wasnt too fond of my 4th gear. The freeway was empty so i ran it up to about 140 and then looked in the rearview and he was plenty of lengths back. We exchanged waves and I turned off.

So just a little fun on the way home, nothing too exciting.

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
What a nice little morning commute. Good kill. Be safe out there Avs.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Good Kill

A WRX stand no chance against a GTO racing from roll without major mods.

My WRX with upgrade turbo (VF30), injectors, fuel pump, exhaust, and engine management was trapping 108mph. That's puts it dead even with a GTO racing top end.
But it was running 12.7s (which is too fast for a stock GTO from a dig).

But some others go with a bigger turbo (Green Turbo etc) that makes significantly more power.

But either way, a WRX needs an upgraded turbo setup to run with a GTO on the top end.

·
Registered
22 Posts
limepro said:
WRX also tops out at 120 when the governor kicks in at least this is what a wrx owner told me when he lost on the highway lol
I think it is 152 governor ... Atleast on the STi

·
7,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
limepro said:
WRX also tops out at 120 when the governor kicks in at least this is what a wrx owner told me when he lost on the highway lol
This might be true. Looked like he did shut it down at what would be right around 120. I was already up around 140 by then though so not really paying too much attention to him.

·
street terrorist
711 Posts
a suby cut me off in traffic the other day... i took the bait.

he sped around the onramp on the freeway thinking his awd was the shiznit, much to his surprise I kept on his ass... I threw some revs at him on the freeway, he gets behind me so I floor it off, he follows. he then lane changed next to me when there wasnt much traffic in front of us, he slowed down to 45/50mph and then took off without any honking or anything... I immidiately gunned it right after him and caught him in ~1-2 seconds, he instantly stopped at that point and kept doing the samething while talking on the phone/drinking his soda pretending not to care... what an asshole.

·
Registered
938 Posts
subaru = u r a bus

06 quicksilver gto M6
k&n aircharger
5% rear windows 20% front tint

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto

·
Registered
582 Posts
vhalin said:
a suby cut me off in traffic the other day... i took the bait.

he sped around the onramp on the freeway thinking his awd was the shiznit, much to his surprise I kept on his ass... I threw some revs at him on the freeway, he gets behind me so I floor it off, he follows. he then lane changed next to me when there wasnt much traffic in front of us, he slowed down to 45/50mph and then took off without any honking or anything... I immidiately gunned it right after him and caught him in ~1-2 seconds, he instantly stopped at that point and kept doing the samething while talking on the phone/drinking his soda pretending not to care... what an asshole.
exactly. that is exactly what i'm talking about. an asshole saving face by playing the "i'm ignoring you now" routine when he is obviously stewing in his blatant ego-deflation that HE HIMSELF brought on TO HIMSELF. he can go burn in hell for all i care. no thumbs up. no sportsmanship. he can go Fck off with his AWD and turbine.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Riddlefox said:
Automatic transmissioned WRX's top out at 125, but a stickshift one should hit 145 or so.

Yes, the maunal WRX can hit 145 mph or so before fuel cut. But a stock WRX takes forever to reach those speeds. The Automatic WRX is much slower than the manual (stock vs stock).

But most the modded WRXs have some sort of engine/boost programming that allows them to run much higher speeds than 140mph.
My modded WRX (Upgraded turbo setup) could hit 160mph very easily.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had just put a Cobb Stage 1 in mine and a my date said it was "cute". We can't have that now can we?

It was peppy and really fun to drive in the twisties. I got it to about 130 one time, but that was after the stage 1. It seemed to lose umph around 100.

·
7,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
badkarma said:
I had just put a Cobb Stage 1 in mine and a my date said it was "cute". We can't have that now can we?

It was peppy and really fun to drive in the twisties. I got it to about 130 one time, but that was after the stage 1. It seemed to lose umph around 100.

And that is where the LS2 shines. Just keeps pullin.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yeah between turning 3k in 5th at 80ish, the number 4 cylinder running damn near close to meltdown (exhaust temps where too high for comfort on that cylinder), the "cute" comment, feeling like you were in a bunker being shot at from the noise when it rained and getting only 23mpg......I traded for the goat.

:gears:

·
7,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Riddlefox said:
I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've taken any car of mine over 100 mph.
well i cant do that just this month alone. i always find the room for a quick blast to 100. very rarely any higher than that though in the city.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Riddlefox said:
I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've taken any car of mine over 100 mph.[/QUOTE

My stock GTO hits 106mph in the 1/4 mile and I usually hits 120mph or so when I take my car down the 1/4 mile. I usually keep the gas floored past the 1/4 mile mark.

I've got my previous GTO (05 M6) up to 150+ on several occasions. I also used to get my modded WRX and STi well up over 100mph all the time.

Unless you do nothing but City driving, I can't see how someone can stay under 100mph all the time.

I was crusing down to the coast in Texas, and pretty much every car on the road was doing about 105mph. No joke. Even 50 year old ladies where doing 100 mph+ in Toyota Camrys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts