LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about fitting a sump pan heater. When my engine was rebuilt it was built a little bit loose (engine builders words) and I was told to warm it up before use.
Due to living a in suburbia my neighbours probably aren't fans of a V8 rumble, never had any complaints but starting early in the morning it is only time. And generally living in a country of mostly 4 cylinder cars V8 are a bit rare plus exhaust isn't quiet either.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am thinking about fitting a sump pan heater. When my engine was rebuilt it was built a little bit loose (engine builders words) and I was told to warm it up before use.
Due to living a in suburbia my neighbours probably aren't fans of a V8 rumble, never had any complaints but starting early in the morning it is only time. And generally living in a country of mostly 4 cylinder cars V8 are a bit rare plus exhaust isn't quiet either.
I don't have a heater but I plan on getting one soon since I'm running e85 and my car takes several cranks to start now. It would only be worth it to me if I could activate the heater remotely as I am getting ready because I often procrastinate and leave my house last second and don't have time to wait for the engine to warm.
In your case if you have a manual I would suggest you just use the clutch and basically idle through the gears as it warms or at least until you get out of your neighborhood.

I don't know what your engine builder means by it was built a little bit loose. Is the engine stock? The only thing I can think of is maybe it has a big cam? Otherwise it sounds a bit sketchy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My BMW X5 has a little diesel heater that I can preset a time for it to turn on which heats things up, it's the sort of thing I could do with.
My plan before going out is to have the heater pad plunged in the night before I need to drive and have it on a timer plugged into the wall socket.
. I have ordered a pad heater but the one that came wasn't a good quality one so it has gone back and I am waiting from a new one to be sent to the U.K from the U.S . The stealth approach is how I have been leaving the house for the last few months, lucky for the neighbours I don't use the Ute much.
No the engine isn't stock, supercharged, forged rods and pistons new cam etc. engine is 670 bhp

1 - 3 of 3 Posts