LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just had m muffs swaped out for some super 40's flows and it seems like i lost some power. B4 i could easiely chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift and now it dosnt realy do it. I think im taching it the same but it could be me just not reving it as high cuz the exaust is louder. anyone else have this happen to them?

·
Registered
125 Posts
i lost about 3 tenths and about 3mph after the super 40's, needless to say the stockers were back on within 2 weeks of being installed. i wasnt crazy about the sound either bu thats just my $.02

·
Registered
463 Posts
i think they have way to much exhaust flow... just like straight pipes... i put my stock ones back on within 3 days of having the straight pipes.

Especialy down low is where u feel the bog

·
Registered
222 Posts
I never Noticed and diff when i put my 40's on, it still rips the tires in 2nd, not just a chirp but flat out tears em up!

Chas

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts
it's called "lack of enough back pressure"

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
i don't think it's not enough back pressure. i think it's the flowmasters master the flow a bit too much. they have too much back presure and don't have as good of flow as many other mufflers.

·
Crack Open a Fresh Baileys
811 Posts
chasp said:
I never Noticed and diff when i put my 40's on, it still rips the tires in 2nd, not just a chirp but flat out tears em up!

Chas
Yep! I'm Super 40's AND straight pipes and I haven't noticed a single bit of difference. Car slides/spins all over the place 1-2 and chirps hard 2-3.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
it gets worse the better the rest of your exhaust is and the more power your engine makes. a weezer in the exhaust won't help ETs even if the highly accurate butt-o-meter says different...

·
811 Posts
svede1212 said:
it gets worse the better the rest of your exhaust is and the more power your engine makes. a weezer in the exhaust won't help ETs even if the highly accurate butt-o-meter says different...
tboicelli said he thinks his car is physically showing signs of slowing down at stock. I say he just gives it a couple more days and sees what happens. Mine drove a little funny (Not slower, just ... weird? :nuts:) for a few days after putting in straight pipes. :)

Hopefully in a couple of years, I'll be able to tell ya how much mine hold me back in the future. ;) I'm willing to part with 10hp~ish for that incredible sound with a cam or even just long tube headers. Flash99's car sounds AMAZING idle.

·
We Stay Throwed
177 Posts
Kylan said:
Yep! I'm Super 40's AND straight pipes and I haven't noticed a single bit of difference. Car slides/spins all over the place 1-2 and chirps hard 2-3.
Agreed... I love my FM's and haven't felt any slow down in the car since installing them. Plus they sound great!!

If people are saying that there is a loss of power from installing them, does anyone have dyno records out there documenting this and generally how much power is lost?

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Flowmaster mufflers don't flow well.

Magnaflow are best mufflers for the money.

·
Registered
841 Posts
My goat lost power, hesitated, bogged, you name it, after I put my flowmaster super 40's on. BUT, I didn't disconnect the battery to help the computer adjust. After about 2 weeks of occasional driving the car was running strong again. I didn't learn about the battery trick until too late.
And a tune will definitely help you get there better and faster.
I say don't give up on them so quickly.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
Southern05 said:
Agreed... I love my FM's and haven't felt any slow down in the car since installing them. Plus they sound great!!

If people are saying that there is a loss of power from installing them, does anyone have dyno records out there documenting this and generally how much power is lost?
as said the more power you make the more it will raise its ugly head. flow ratings show it. corsa and spintechs flow 50% better, magnaflow flows better, dynomax flows better...

·
Got Zydrate?
2,450 Posts
svede1212 said:
dynomax flows better...
and a lifetime warrenty to back up how they feel about their product

·
V8 Whore
823 Posts
The chambered flow pattern of the Flowmasters (akin to that of B&B and others like that) do not flow well at high rpm.

There could be a number of reasons for certain peoples to run ok and then some to run like trash.

·
811 Posts
Southern05 said:

Yours almost made me go into debt just to get Kook's after listening to your sound clips. :D
Someone said they had a car with 700hp+ and lost 12hp-15hp with Flowmasters.
I really doubt it's that much unless you're heavily modified.. But like TriflowM5+M3 basically said, results will vary with everyone.
Go dyno your car so we can see! :)

·
We Stay Throwed
177 Posts
Kylan said:
Yours almost made me go into debt just to get Kook's after listening to your sound clips. :D
Someone said they had a car with 700hp+ and lost 12hp-15hp with Flowmasters.
I really doubt it's that much unless you're heavily modified.. But like TriflowM5+M3 basically said, results will vary with everyone.
Go dyno your car so we can see! :)
Yeah I have always liked the sound of Flowmasters, but this is the first I've heard about people actually losing power with them over the stock mufflers. Very interesting. I'd enjoy seeing any hard comparison data anyone has on the FM's vs GTO stocks... Or even FM's versus other aftermarket muffs on GTO's. I don't doubt that other mufflers are better, but 50% sounds on the high side at first glance!!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts