1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what is real. An otherwise stock 06 with only Super 40's running
a 12.95 @108.8. That would be 3rd on the all stock top ET for the LS2
class. Obviously did not lose power. Now at MUCH higher hp applications
maybe so, but to just come on here and say " I lost power, or I think I lost power, or I lost 3/10's in the 1/4 mile, or they don't flow as well and your gonna lose power is BS. If you don't like the sound that is one thing, but to say you are gonna lose power is quite another. Here's the thread.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107193

·
Used to have one
4,734 Posts
yes i actually would have gone 12.7 without the super 40's they held me back to the 12.95 :gr_jest: :gr_jest:

·
Crack Open a Fresh Baileys
811 Posts
No, that's not possible with Super 40's. He's lying about his time.
In fact, if anything, his GTO should've imploded from the Flowmaster's vortex of backpressure-ness.

;)

Nice time and wonderful color, dude! :D

·
BOM - code for Metal Pumpkin
1,179 Posts
+1 on the color ;-) and grats on the time. NICE for stocker....

·
1 of 40,757
6,483 Posts
Awesome time, congratulations. I hope to get a track night with conditions nearly as cool as that.

The stock muffler is chambered just as much or more so than flowmasters. I dont see why anyone would think they'd be any worse.

Now run it with a set of straight through mufflers with the same conditions and same 60ft times and see if there is any difference.

·
"Power Abuser"
1,080 Posts
Great news considering I decided to see for myself and had the Super 40s installed today. Them along with the Magnaflow X pipe and it sounds great. I "noticed" no loss of power, but I also didn't "noticed" a gain in power.

The combo gave a great sound to the Goat and I have just slight burbble on decel. The guy at the exhaust shop said the X pipe should allow the exhaust to equalize stopping some of the popping I would have had without it. He laughed at the resinator when he removed it.

I will be considering Series 40s if I ever decide to get rid of the Super 40s. I would like it slightly louder, but I really like the way it sounds now.

Headers are next followed by intake and cam.

·
ricer phase
9,888 Posts
the only way you can put the "myth" to bed is back to back dyno times, stock 06's have run those times before so....that really means much of nothing

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Summerwolf said:
the only way you can put the "myth" to bed is back to back dyno times, stock 06's have run those times before so....that really means much of nothing
Yes, and by adding the Super 40's the 06 still ran those times, thus no
power loss. If there was power loss then he would not been able to run the times. This is not debatable. Thanks for making my point. And by the way,
at the track is true test of power, not some dyno.

·
Crack Open a Fresh Baileys
811 Posts
PC4STOP said:
I will be considering Series 40s if I ever decide to get rid of the Super 40s. I would like it slightly louder, but I really like the way it sounds now.

Headers are next followed by intake and cam.
If you're getting headers/cam/intake, those Super 40's are gonna wake up like no other. :D

·
GTO went bye-bye
1,455 Posts
OrangeCrushM6 said:
power loss. If there was power loss then he would not been able to run the times. This is not debatable. Thanks for making my point. And by the way,
wow. just wow.

yes, i'll agree with you that the track or strip is the only place where it truly matters. higher HP numbers don't mean dick if you don't gain anything from it.

but, other than that, you're wrong. i especially laughed at the 'this is not debatable' part.

why? let's see. which method of testing for power would have less outside variables: an immediate before-and-after run on the dyno, or comparing timeslips from two different times on the track? let's see. with one method, you have a tested and calibrated piece of equipment in a setting where the environment (hopefully) does not change that much. this is vs a track, where you have weather, driver reaction, traction, general driving ability, and god knows what else playing into your results.

gee, i think i'll take the dyno.

Mike

·
"Power Abuser"
1,080 Posts
Kylan said:
If you're getting headers/cam/intake, those Super 40's are gonna wake up like no other.

I figure that is true. I won't be doing it until I hear how they sound with the mods.

·
Old Goat
261 Posts
OrangeCrushM6 said:
I sure would be happy knowing that I spent how many hundred's of dollars to find out I didn't slow it down!!! The general idea is to speed it up with mods, not equal what is already on the car!! I am glad you like the SOUND, because that's all you got for the money...as for me and my flock we'll go for the POWER!!

·
Hunkerin Down
244 Posts
whiteboyslo said:
wow. just wow.

yes, i'll agree with you that the track or strip is the only place where it truly matters. higher HP numbers don't mean dick if you don't gain anything from it.

but, other than that, you're wrong. i especially laughed at the 'this is not debatable' part.

why? let's see. which method of testing for power would have less outside variables: an immediate before-and-after run on the dyno, or comparing timeslips from two different times on the track? let's see. with one method, you have a tested and calibrated piece of equipment in a setting where the environment (hopefully) does not change that much. this is vs a track, where you have weather, driver reaction, traction, general driving ability, and god knows what else playing into your results.

Mike

I disagree.

In optimal conditions, I think everyone agree's the very best a stock 06 would run is high 12's and this is at the very best~!

He didnt claim any kind of gain in power.. he only stated that because he was able to run a good time, that obviously all the here say about a substantial loss of power from super 40's is in fact just that here say,

I would completely agree dyno or not, that he in fact did not lose any power at all, and maybe even gained 5 (max) Horse power..Surely you can measure the gain or loss on a dyno, but not even Dyno's can consistantly run the same numbers back to back even with no modifications in between runs..

You can have the EXACT same conditions, but you run back to back lose power. Heat Soak FTL.

Like the first poster said no loss of power, I beleive it. How else could he run a high 12?

Diceman.

·
GTO went bye-bye
1,455 Posts
iamdiceman said:
I disagree.

In optimal conditions, I think everyone agree's the very best a stock 06 would run is high 12's and this is at the very best~!

He didnt claim any kind of gain in power.. he only stated that because he was able to run a good time, that obviously all the here say about a substantial loss of power from super 40's is in fact just that here say,

I would completely agree dyno or not, that he in fact did not lose any power at all, and maybe even gained 5 (max) Horse power..Surely you can measure the gain or loss on a dyno, but not even Dyno's can consistantly run the same numbers back to back even with no modifications in between runs..

You can have the EXACT same conditions, but you run back to back lose power. Heat Soak FTL.

Like the first poster said no loss of power, I beleive it. How else could he run a high 12?

Diceman.
i'm not debating the end result, or whatever perceived result the OP is speaking to. i'm debating the methods. and heat soak is a variable that can easily be controlled, esp. when compared to the variables you can have on the track.

with the minimal gains (or losses) you would see from something as basic as a muffler swap, i can't see how comparing timeslips is a valid method of test. there's too many other variables that could just as easily influence the results.

Mike

·
GTO went bye-bye
1,455 Posts
wait. hold on. just went back and read the original post. you're not even comparing YOUR own times??!!!!!

WTF? how do you find this to being even CLOSE to a legitimate test?

i thought you were at least comparing this time to your previous PB or something like that.

how does this even come close to 'putting a myth to bed'?

Mike

·
What??? Next!!!
50 Posts
Something getting missed here? Stock mufflers flow pretty well from what I understand, the resonator needs to be removed. The Flowmasters or any other muffler isn't going to get you huge gains, until something is done about the stock pipes that have kinks in the bends(restriction-disrupted air flow)and flattened out sections. Otherwise it's more of a preference in sound or tone, and the Flowmasters are very distinct!

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
whiteboyslo said:
wow. just wow.

Mike
What I said was not debatable was that power was not lost. Nothing about the dyno. Dynos are for another time, that is not what I was talking about. Bottom line is the car
did not lose power adding the Super 40's, this is was is not debatable. So
when you say you especially laughed, you should be laughing at the fact that you totally misread my post. :ftw:

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
goat-ee said:
I sure would be happy knowing that I spent how many hundred's of dollars to find out I didn't slow it down!!! The general idea is to speed it up with mods, not equal what is already on the car!! I am glad you like the SOUND, because that's all you got for the money...as for me and my flock we'll go for the POWER!!
Hundreds of dollars? It cost me $200. And yes it was for the sound. Mods are
not just for speed.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
whiteboyslo said:
wait. hold on. just went back and read the original post. you're not even comparing YOUR own times??!!!!!

WTF? how do you find this to being even CLOSE to a legitimate test?

i thought you were at least comparing this time to your previous PB or something like that.

how does this even come close to 'putting a myth to bed'?

Mike
Let me see if I can make this easy for you. The fastest stock recorded times that I'm aware of are 12.9 at about 108-109 mph. Someone runs 12.85 at 108mph with only the Super 40's being different. Different LS2GTO or not he was able to run basically as fast as ANYONE has ever gone stock. So the only conclusion is? If a significant amount of power had been lost, these times would not have been attainable.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Braz'in06 said:
Something getting missed here? Stock mufflers flow pretty well from what I understand, the resonator needs to be removed. The Flowmasters or any other muffler isn't going to get you huge gains, until something is done about the stock pipes that have kinks in the bends(restriction-disrupted air flow)and flattened out sections. Otherwise it's more of a preference in sound or tone, and the Flowmasters are very distinct!
This thread is about addressing the fact that some people are stating that the
Super 40's were going to cause power loss. I'm just stating that they don't. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts