Votes: 69 71.9%
  • Turbocharged

Votes: 27 28.1%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you install on your GTO? I was talking with my friend last night and he said S/C all the way. What is your opinion on this matter?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
i have not seen ANY turbo setups for the GTO. thus i could not really give a fair comparison :(
if you can show me some, then maybe i will vote

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
When my warranty runs out, I am driving my goat straight to Howie at Arrowhead and would tell him to install the best supercharger money can buy. Now all I need to do is to get to 72 mos/ 50 K miles as fast as could and I will have a goat that has 450+hp in it...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
turbos are a bit harder to maintain, and after spirited driving it is essential for most turbo equipped cars to cool down before they are shut off to stop the oil from baking, see turbo timer. Plus lag will be an issue with a turbo, all though with the V8 grunt of the 350 there won't be notical lag. But I still say supercharge it.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Man If I had the extra cash right now I would do the magnacharger and not think twice about it!! :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
I am getting the magnacharger before xmas....turbos cost more too

·
Registered
36 Posts
PD blower for me

In Australia we have LS1s fitted with
- PD blowers
- centrifigal blowers
- single turbo
- twin turbo

The thing I like about the twin turbo applications I have seen is that you cannot see the turbos, and most cannot pick any change in the engine bay. Lift the hood on a blown motor and you can see it straight away.

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whipplegto said:
- PD blowers
- centrifigal blowers
- single turbo
- twin turbo

The thing I like about the twin turbo applications I have seen is that you cannot see the turbos, and most cannot pick any change in the engine bay. Lift the hood on a blown motor and you can see it straight away.
Can you post any pictures of these setups?

·
4L60E+moded ls1+saudi = bad
710 Posts
whipplegto said:
- PD blowers
- centrifigal blowers
- single turbo
- twin turbo

are you talking about this one?

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, any other pictures?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Twin Turbos. :secret:

·
Registered
430 Posts
V type engines are alot easier to put superchargers on than turbos. You almost have to do a twin turbo on a V engine, and now you're talking big bucks. The advantage is you can do alot of playing around with them.

·
Ex SHO owner
316 Posts
flyinlow said:
V type engines are alot easier to put superchargers on than turbos. You almost have to do a twin turbo on a V engine, and now you're talking big bucks. The advantage is you can do alot of playing around with them.

That is not the reason to do twin turbos. Look at the Grand National, single turbo V6 engine. Reason to do twin turbos is to either stager them in a sequential order, one small to come in quicker (thus reducing the so called Turbo Lag) and a larger one that spools up later to produce more power. The other reason is to help modulate the power by runing two smaller turbos to spool up quicker rather than one larger turbo to make better midrange hp.

Look at all the HIGH horsepower street machines. Supras, Skylines, etc... The Higher Horsepowered machines are using a single HUGE Turbo to make power. Sure the PEAK numbers look great on the dyno, but have you seen the curves? YUCK.... peddle to the floor....nothing.....nothing.....nothing...HOLYSnikeys !!! Where as a dual turbo will give better midrange.

Its all about your end goal. Ease of maintainence and installation with decent gains - SC. Better gains with a little more installation pain SC with an intercooler. BEST gains will always be a turbo. Its more efficent in its flow giving better results. Look at the majority of setups between a turbo and a SC. The same PSI will not give you the same power from each. A turbo will usually have higher torque level and a flater torque curve then that of a SC.

BTW - The myth of turbo lag is virtually non existant today. Better turbine design and ball bearings have virtually eliminated this previously plaguing problems.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Aspect said:
Look at all the HIGH horsepower street machines. Supras, Skylines, etc... The Higher Horsepowered machines are using a single HUGE Turbo to make power. Sure the PEAK numbers look great on the dyno, but have you seen the curves? YUCK.... peddle to the floor....nothing.....nothing.....nothing...HOLYSnikeys !!! Where as a dual turbo will give better midrange.

haha, yes we have all seen STi dyno curve.

BTW - The myth of turbo lag is virtually non existant today. Better turbine design and ball bearings have virtually eliminated this previously plaguing problems
very true.

·
04 LPE SuperCharged Goat
16 Posts
You know where my vote went...seven days till I pick it up!!!
Magna charger intercooled supercharger kit - silver powder coat finish
Properly sized fuel injectors
Fuel system upgrades
Port & polished throttle body
Professional installation, testing and PCM tuning
LPE Hand held PCM programmer
Lingenfelter supercharged emblems
Chassis dyno test before and after installation
160 Degree thermostat
LPE cold air induction system
Corsa Pro series touring system
LPE coil covers - Red
Lloyds custom floor mats with LPE logo
2,800 stall torque converter

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
LPEGoat said:
You know where my vote went...seven days till I pick it up!!!
Magna charger intercooled supercharger kit - silver powder coat finish
Properly sized fuel injectors
Fuel system upgrades
Port & polished throttle body
Professional installation, testing and PCM tuning
LPE Hand held PCM programmer
Lingenfelter supercharged emblems
Chassis dyno test before and after installation
160 Degree thermostat
LPE cold air induction system
Corsa Pro series touring system
LPE coil covers - Red
Lloyds custom floor mats with LPE logo
2,800 stall torque converter
are the fuel system and injector upgrades necessary while getting the magnacharger or can we just strap it on the stock motor and be ok?

·
04 LPE SuperCharged Goat
16 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
are the fuel system and injector upgrades necessary while getting the magnacharger or can we just strap it on the stock motor and be ok?
I have seen some sites saying you can purchase and bolt it on however I wouldn't recomend that. It seems to get what you want out of the magnacharger a few more things need to be tweeked however I'm sure some other people will know more about it than I? :eek2:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Uh, top of the line Skylines and Supras are twin turbos and most of the modified ones I have seen in the magazines also stay twin turbo.

If turbo lag is non existent, how do you explain STi's torque curve, which looks like a mountain peak.

·
Turbocharger Engineer
27 Posts
Lag is all a variable of cubes, and which turbo unit you use. With the right turbo on any motor, it will blow away a S/C.

BTW I vote for twins T's. How can you go wrong with this GTO/HSV.....

Jose

1 - 20 of 43 Posts