1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
I was reading that this setup will put you in the 10's. I will try to find the article.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
IF I had the money (i.e. won the lottery), I would consider buying that kit. Based on my other reading, I would expect 14psi of boost to produce over 500HP at the crank (don't quote me, I'm no expert.)

I'd upgrade the tranny, clutch, rear end, and brakes before putting that beast on.

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I would like to read more about it. I could spend the money now but I might have all my stuff thrown out on the lawn, but then I could just sleep with my GOAT. I would love to make some mod's to get it in the 10's without spending too much. I have no idea what to buy and what is best for the money.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
Thanks I would like to read more about it. I could spend the money now but I might have all my stuff thrown out on the lawn, but then I could just sleep with my GOAT. I would love to make some mod's to get it in the 10's without spending too much. I have no idea what to buy and what is best for the money.
getting in the 10s and not spending too much are oximorons.

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok ok so basically I gotta spend $10k? thats what your saying?

it would be worth it though....

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
ok ok so basically I gotta spend $10k? thats what your saying?

it would be worth it though....
i dont know exactly what you will have to spend to get in the 10s. i forget who it was on the forum that got into the 11s with a torque converter, NOS, and some other basic mods. i could be wrong about the mods. but i know he running an 11.33. anyone else remember?
but gettin into the tens wont be cheap is all im saying

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Yeah, the faster the time the bigger the bucks. And it ain't linear. We can all get into the 12's pretty cheap... into the 11's for quite a bit more... into the 10's for LOTS more. My "wish list" of mods should get me into the 11's and that's as far as I will take it. I want a GTO that's more streetable than raceable. I'd still like to use it for road trips without taking a gasoline tanker with me.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
ColoradoGoat said:
Turned 7's @ 200 in my B-Gas Dragster back when I was racing. Believe me I thought that was fast enough ! :)
Yep. I think I'd need a set of Depends to run in the 7's :D

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Depends

mistermike said:
Yep. I think I'd need a set of Depends to run in the 7's :D
Yep! Run would be a very apt choice of words... :)

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Nice but will cost a lot more than $10K!!

Its a nice unit, but many other things to think about. To start, the boost is too high for longevity of the engine and power train. Secondly, adding but mostly using all of the power this unit has to offer may not be safe. In my opinion, the OEM brakes, suspension and tires are definitely not up to the task. You are probably looking at $5 to $8K in parts minimum to get to parity with the increased horsepower. The current GTO configuration gets alittle squilrrly above 135MPH (dont ask!!) Next, is it EPA, CARB approved? Probably not. many states require this stuff to have approval numbers.
A more moderate approach would be the magnaCharger or Dyno Proven (CoolCharger) when they become available. They have boosts limited to the 7PSI mode, and have/will have the EPA/CARB approvals. Plus carry warranties to die for. havew not heard final costs figures yet, but would expect these units to retail in the $5K-$6K range. The $10K plus unit may have a 10/10 warranty ....ten seconds or 10 inches, whatever occurs first.
Having engine/brake/chasis/tire balance is something most hotrodders do not always think about. Having a 8-10 second engine and brakes/tires/chasis that cannot support it is .....well maybe life insurance is cheaper. Be safe out there.
dms

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
That thing would make power like you wouldn't believe. Worth it ? If you got the money hell ya.

Thing that concerns me is the rest of the car and drivetrain. Mod's need to come in order. This thing would have you getting a clutch, tires, and brakes by the time you hit the end of the driveway. :thumbs:

·
04 Impulse blue/blue M6 GOAT
368 Posts
Im not an expert but what about the rear end i think supercharging a Goat you would snap the 10 bolt, and blow the trans without any work done.

·
Registered
459 Posts
2loco said:
Im not an expert but what about the rear end i think supercharging a Goat you would snap the 10 bolt, and blow the trans without any work done.
That was my thought. From what I've read, I do not believe the rearend/halfshafts would stand a chance with that much power. I wonder, what kind of HP gains would that unit produce?

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Just got off the phone with MASC. 9.5 PSI setup = 140 rwhp gain. MASC has not installed the 12-14 PSI setup on the GTO as of yet. The Monaro has had the mid boost kit installed, and the gain is 200 rwhp gain. For the 12-14 PSI kit, lower compression is needed. The sales rep said with a cam, long tube headers, and a few other mods, the skies the limit for hp gains.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
TprGTO said:
Just got off the phone with MASC. 9.5 PSI setup = 140 rwhp gain. MASC has not installed the 12-14 PSI setup on the GTO as of yet. The Monaro has had the mid boost kit installed, and the gain is 200 rwhp gain. For the 12-14 PSI kit, lower compression is needed. The sales rep said with a cam, long tube headers, and a few other mods, the skies the limit for hp gains.
Works for all the Big Iron at the Drag Strip. Caveat though, I'd not only want to replace the pistons with forged 8.5 to 1 units built for blower duty, but I'd think hard on new rods and a forged crank for 12-14 PSI boost. Don't want the PM rods or nodular crank abandoning ship even if the 'skid plate' would act as an engine diaper. Eagle makes a crank, and you can never go wrong with Carillo rods, but hold on to your pocketbook! You'll be working road jobs for the rest of your life!... I ran a Crower/McKay injected Big Block Chevelle on the streets of Newton, but pretty much only got to drive it back and forth to work and Details to pay for it... :D

·
got rice?
480 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts