LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am not sure if this was already talked about, if it was i must have missed it. anyways, what supercharger do you all think is better? the vortech or the magna charger? i don't know that much about cars yet, so if there is an obvious difference or anything like that between the two, let me know.

·
Seriously?
1,586 Posts
You can search the site by typing in Magnacharger and Vortech as search words, seperately of course, and should be able to find all of your answers, including install pics.

My opinion -- I feel the Magnacharger is better because of ease of installation, the actual look on the car (looks like it came like that from GM) and I also believe roots type blowers can bring on the power at a lower RPM. Someone with way more experience with blowers can give you more detail about the power issues.

Happy searching.
Matt

·
Registered
56 Posts
tosc said:
i am not sure if this was already talked about, if it was i must have missed it. anyways, what supercharger do you all think is better? the vortech or the magna charger? i don't know that much about cars yet, so if there is an obvious difference or anything like that between the two, let me know.
I don't think that there is a definitive answer yet for the GTO. Maggies are the only ones out really. Vortech and ProCharger just coming out for GTO. Roots type blowers typically very strong on low and midrange typically. Centrifugal like Vortech typically don't build boost until upper rpms. Lot of varialbles involved. I suspect both will make a big difference in performance. I guess you also have to ask your question with greater detail.... "better at what". Daily driving, longevity, fewer problems, most overall power, best for 1/4mile, autocross etc. You won't get everything in any one of the choices, there are always compromises.

·
Big Daddy Says
1,992 Posts
GTOLarry said:
I don't think that there is a definative answer yet for the GTO. Maggies are the only ones out really. Vortech and ProCharger just coming out for GTO. Roots type blower typically very strong on low and midrange typically. Centrifigul like Vortech typically don't build boost until upper rpms. Lot of varialble involved. I suspect both will make a big difference in performance. I guess you also have to ask your question with greater detail.... "better at what". Daily driving, longevity, fewer problems, most overall power, best for 1/4mile, autocross etc. You won't get everything in any one of the choices, there are always compromises.
ok so i'll ask, for a daily driver and an occasional trip to thru the 1/4.. i'm thinking maggie

·
Registered
492 Posts
The Magnacharger is probably one of the most dependable SC's as well as the most gas mileage friendly. That is why most cars that come from the factory with an SC use a Magnuson / Eaton SC.

·
Big Daddy Says
1,992 Posts
ydtrack said:
The Magnacharger is probably one of the most dependable SC's as well as the most gas mileage friendly. That is why most cars that come from the factory with an SC use a Magnuson / Eaton SC.
Thanks... exactly what i needed to hear....

·
Registered
56 Posts
GTO4Ever said:
ok so i'll ask, for a daily driver and an occasional trip to thru the 1/4.. i'm thinking maggie

You will get a lot of pros back on the Maggie from people who favor roots of course and it will probably do those things very well. Vortech folks would argue that because the Maggie kicks in so early you may be putting the drivetrain under duress much more often. Also because it kicks in more often in regular driving heat MAY become an issue. Not saying it will, and for every problem there is generally a solution just waiting in the wings.

Personally, Maggie looks very cool, seems to make the car move well. In this application there have been a few very minor problems written about. 1) Trying to get full power out of it (tuning). 2) Hood clearance for some motors, problematic since hitting the hood will cause knock sensors to go off when they shouldn't.

Both companies have products tested on this motor, just not much real world time for this particular application, my opinion is both will be a good choice for normal daily driver types. Going with the larger Procharger for mostly strip use and maximum power is something to look at.

My car is at Vortech now and I will be getting it back in 4-6 weeks. I will let you know what its like to drive a Vortech when I get it back. It would also be fun and informative to get folks that have Maggie's and Vortech and do some informal test driving just to see first hand what the differences are.

Not much help I know but you asked. My .02

·
Registered
56 Posts
ydtrack said:

Just an FYI... you may soon be seeing Vortech units on some GM cars according to the Vortech rep I met with. Also Toyota is using them on the new Scion tc. They are begining to make inroads to the initial manufacturing level.

Also, Vortech has bypass capability as well and provide little mileage penalty until called in to play.

Maggie still looks cooler though.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Their were some supercharged GM vehicles in the past that had an option for an aftermarket Vortech supercharger added by the dealership under warrenty I believe. More 'factory' cars come with roots blowers from the factory since they do add more low end power which is what most people feel makes a car 'quick' but they are highly inefficient and if the belt breaks they become a major restriction on the motor. It may not even run. You can drive a car without a belt on a centrifugal supercharger without any problems. I've had to do it a lot in the past.

·
Seriously?
1,586 Posts
CSiJason said:
Their were some supercharged GM vehicles in the past that had an option for an aftermarket Vortech supercharger added by the dealership under warrenty I believe. More 'factory' cars come with roots blowers from the factory since they do add more low end power which is what most people feel makes a car 'quick' but they are highly inefficient and if the belt breaks they become a major restriction on the motor. It may not even run. You can drive a car without a belt on a centrifugal supercharger without any problems. I've had to do it a lot in the past.

You an drive a car like the GTP, Monte SS or T-Bird Supercoupe, which have roots style blowers, Eaton M90's to be exact, without the blower belt on it and it will be fine. Of course it will be highly underpowered but it will still run. I've seen and heard of that before, infact almost bought a T-Bird SC without a belt on it. I am curious as to what GM cars possibly came with a Vortech as an option. I know you can get a tuner Mustang like Steeda or Roush and get a full Ford Warranty but never heard of it from GM.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well another note on SC's the cobra and lightning guys are ripping off the Roots blowers and swapping in a whipple with some very nice gains. Whipples are supposed to be very efficient, but I haven't seen anything on their website saying they are working on a GTO.

·
Here for a while
1,707 Posts
OK, lets shoot for the bottom line here:

First off, you will never see a factory installed centrifugal....it just wont happen these days. The centrifugals could NEVER pass durability testing from ANY of the auto manufactures. You may have seen tuners like Saleen using the centrifugal on the Mustangs in the past, but take a closer look now....EATON/Magnuson developed superchargers with intercoolers.

The Magnuson supercharger is not the roots supercharger of the old days, it has a improvements inside and out that most don’t even realize. If you plan on driving your GTO on the street/strip with a centrifugal, enjoy! You are getting about 1/3 of the power band, NO more.

Maga Charger advertises "More Power Under the Curve". Lets explain this for some people that may not understand. If you take a centrifugal supercharged vehicles dyno graph and look at it, you will notice a more "bell" shaped power curve with most of the "gains" in the 3000 rpm range and up. One question: Who the heck drives there? Now if you take a Magnuson/Magna Charger vehicle dyno graph you will notice that the power gains are from about 1750 rpm to 5000+ rpm, Now that is where we drive!.

I suggest that every person on here does their research on ANY power adder before you purchase it, look at the details not the MAX power gain. You need to look at things like reliability, TUNING, warranty, how complete the kit is, and most important for you California guys.....CARB. I would like to hear everyone’s thoughts!

B

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks for the info and I totally agree with you. I just want to throw up some dyno charts for comparison. Notice the big difference in the torque curves.

Here is an intercooled GTP dyno with a Eaton/Magnacharger:

Now here is a Grand Prix GT with a CSC (Novi 1000):

·
Registered
56 Posts
BlownChevy said:
First off, you will never see a factory installed centrifugal....it just wont happen these days. The centrifugals could NEVER pass durability testing from ANY of the auto manufactures. You may have seen tuners like Saleen using the centrifugal on the Mustangs in the past, but take a closer look now....EATON/Magnuson developed superchargers with intercoolers.....

B
Not sure it is that important whether or not we see a "factory installed" supercharger or not. Factories do a lot of good and bad things so just because they installed it at the factory does not always make it the best choice. Conversely, just because it was not installed at the factory does not automatically make it a bad choice.

The controversy over which GTO kit works "best" will be answered once all the players have kits out and owners have had time to live with them. We really ought to try and stage some informal review at some point. Get a stock, an LS6 modified, a Maggie, a Vortech and a Procharger equipped cars together at the same time in a controlled situation and let the owners swap cars and write up their opinions.

For me, I just want one with enhanced performance, something with some real kick. My guess is that the Maggie or the Vortech would make me happy. There is always someone faster so just putting on a supercharger by itself is not really going to make you King Kong out on the streets.

My .02

1 - 15 of 15 Posts