LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Worthless reject member
45,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
noticed these on rockauto, for very very cheap. less than 70 dollars per axle.

these can't be very good, right?

no need for a stock replacement or reman, as I have DSS axles on red and stock axles w/ the 930 cv joint upgrade on bue. this question is just out of curiosity.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,412 Posts
Probably just a replacement axle. It can probably be found at the auto chains under their own brand names, ie. Duralast for Autozone, Driveworks for Advance Auto, etc.

·
Registered
792 Posts

·
Worthless reject member
45,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
from the pics, at least for the 2005/2006 axles, it appears you reuse the stock dust caps. you may have to grease them yourself, too.

which gives them an out with the warranty. "improperly greased."

·
Registered
361 Posts
I guess these wouldn't come with inner CV joints? If not, where can I find a new set of those for these axles? How much should I expect those to cost?

I'm still tracking down noises...

·
Registered
361 Posts
The pic doesn't show the end/dust cap so maybe there isn't anything inside? Sounds too good to be true for $70.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The do not come with the dust caps. They do however look thicker than stock. They look almost identical to the dss axle. I know someone that just bought them. He's going to test it out and see if they help with wheel hop. Here is a pic for comparison.

Attachments

·
Worthless reject member
45,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The do not come with the dust caps. They do however look thicker than stock. They look almost identical to the dss axle. I know someone that just bought them. He's going to test it out and see if they help with wheel hop. Here is a pic for comparison.
wrong.

·
Worthless reject member
45,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the axles are the same thickness as the stock axles. don't be fooled by the pics. i've taken calipers to them. the bigger rubber boots make the axles look thicker. they are not.

the CV joints are the same width as the stock joints. don't be fooled by the pics. put the dustcaps on and you'll see they are the same width.

they are also made in china, iirc. :dunno: working in the steel industry, i can say that Chinese steel isn't always the greatest in terms of metallurgy or quality.

·
Worthless reject member
45,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
they would work fine for that, i would think. :dunno:

definitely not a performance product or an upgrade.

i really don't get the mindset of people who believe that cheap replacement parts can be an upgrade. like the cardone manifold fiasco.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don't think it's an upgrade. I had gforce axles and those turned out to be the source of an annoying clunk. I replaced those with a used pair of OEM axles and those were much better but there was a different less annoying noise after installing those. Now something gave way and they are clunking like crazy as somebody else posted a youtube video of recently. I'm hoping a NEW pair of oem-style axles will let me know what it's like to drive w/o a clunk. At least for a little while...

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
re

Impressive write-up
Pontiac GTO 2005-2006, CV Axle Shaft by SurTrack®. ABS Ring Type: No. Length: 20-15/64". Inboard Joint Type: Pancake. Outboard Joint Type: Pancake. This product features a brand new construction with precision machined and heat treated center-shafts, CV joints, bearings and races. The CV axle shaft by SurTrack is manufactured with high quality neoprene rubber boots to protect against the elements on and off-road conditions and fastened with stainless steel straps to meet the stringent engineering standards. more details on - http://www.carid.com/2005-pontiac-g...3086688.html?gclid=CPvQipDonssCFcGPHwodBVQGXQ

·
NC Rogue Squadron
2,422 Posts
the axles are the same thickness as the stock axles. don't be fooled by the pics. i've taken calipers to them. the bigger rubber boots make the axles look thicker. they are not.

the CV joints are the same width as the stock joints. don't be fooled by the pics. put the dustcaps on and you'll see they are the same width.

they are also made in china, iirc. :dunno: working in the steel industry, i can say that Chinese steel isn't always the greatest in terms of metallurgy or quality.
One measurement is worth 1,000 expert opinions.

·
Worthless reject member
45,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i think the only positive difference i have seen with the suretracks is that the axle doesn't vary in thickness like the oem axle does, and the boots are similar to the DSS boots.

however, metal chemistry is in question here. they say it meets OEM specs but, really?

they also use a double c-clip to hold the joint on the axle instead of 1 thicker clip, which i find odd.

this is the company that makes these, i believe.

http://www.wonhparts.com/wp/about/

1 - 20 of 61 Posts