LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
i think the only positive difference i have seen with the suretracks is that the axle doesn't vary in thickness like the oem axle does, and the boots are similar to the DSS boots.

however, metal chemistry is in question here. they say it meets OEM specs but, really?

they also use a double c-clip to hold the joint on the axle instead of 1 thicker clip, which i find odd.

this is the company that makes these, i believe.

http://www.wonhparts.com/wp/about/

When China can send us completely machined parts for the cost of what raw material is here in the states we do have to wonder how they do it, my guess ? China is a largest consumer of Scrap Metal from the US. So im guessing all those old Grand Prix's and Buick's are coming back in the form of CV joints. Most are not aware DSS was a large Cv axle and Rack and Pinion rebuilder from 1986 thru 2003 and when the parts from China started coming over they were real bad, tolerances and heat treat were terrible along with questionable materiel. They have corrected most of it but it does come down to material. There is no substitute

p.s. do you guys really want a "budget axle" a factory part will out last anything from China but we could make some inexpensive ones if you want to see them.

·
1 of 40,757
6,562 Posts
We paid around $50 to have a guy come and do a metallurgical test on some Chinese stainless steel seamless tubing we needed for a job.

I'm sure there is a place in your area that does it.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,391 Posts
p.s. do you guys really want a "budget axle" a factory part will out last anything from China but we could make some inexpensive ones if you want to see them.
I think with the mileage rising and the prices dropping, it would be beneficial to offer an "economy" variant of the axles and driveshafts. Breaking a component and seeing a $600 - $1000 replacement price tag probably isn't foreseen in the purchase of a sub-$10,000 "American" muscle car.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
re

i sent the axles back some time ago. i purchased them just to have a good look at them.
For the price of a surtrack axle you can buy 2 of them take them apart and buy 4 930 CV joints on the alxe and reuse every thing else all you will need are 4 clamps for the boot and you will definately have a reliable better than OEM axle that should last and take some abuse---danfigg

·
Worthless reject member
45,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
For the price of a surtrack axle you can buy 2 of them take them apart and buy 4 930 CV joints on the alxe and reuse every thing else all you will need are 4 clamps for the boot and you will definately have a reliable better than OEM axle that should last and take some abuse---danfigg
it's difficult to find 05/06 axles cheaply. they run for 50 ea. usually on ebay.

so 100 for a used set of axles, and then you have to buy a set of GOOD joints... will set you back some coin. a set of good joints are going to cost you.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've never noticed that $350 set. Maybe because there is no pic? If the surtrack's can solve my issue then I'll go with these DSS's for the long-run. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
re

the set DSS has for 350 is a very cost effective option.
Good point, a set of surtracks would be 140.00 and 4 930 CV joint are 200.00 plus new boot straps and your right at 350.00. At my power level im sure my used axles and 930 CV's will suit my needs---danfigg

·
Too much is just enough
1,206 Posts
For me, made in China is an option only if I can't find something made here or in Europe. Price is secondary to quality IMO.

It's just a matter of time before the US and China go toe-to-toe. Continuing to send them cash that funds their military build-up is not smart IMO.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
This ^^^

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Damn should have bought them when you guys first posted those up

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,528 Posts
Was just doing some late night searching and found this thread. Thought I'd give my 2cents :cents: encase anyone else comes across this.

I just tried "Precision" axles from O'Reilly's which look exactly the same as the Surtracks. Someone made the comment that the Surtracks are probably just re-branded to different names between auto stores.

Well, they were crap. Tons of vibration.

Quick backstory: Had rearend go bad. Still have extended warranty. Warranty covered LKQ used rearend and the axles from O'Reilly's. I never would have tried them on my own. Since it was warranty work I never actually drove it. But the mechanic said it was bad. Tons of vibration. Even sitting on the lift when he rotated the wheel they didn't look right. He took them back out, put the stockers back in and everything was gold again.

Not that anyone is actually pursing these type of axles lol, but either go with aftermarket axles or the Gforce CV upgrade on the stock axles.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts