LS1GTO Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Worthless reject member
45,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Was just doing some late night searching and found this thread. Thought I'd give my 2cents :cents: encase anyone else comes across this.

I just tried "Precision" axles from O'Reilly's which look exactly the same as the Surtracks. Someone made the comment that the Surtracks are probably just re-branded to different names between auto stores.

Well, they were crap. Tons of vibration.

Quick backstory: Had rearend go bad. Still have extended warranty. Warranty covered LKQ used rearend and the axles from O'Reilly's. I never would have tried them on my own. Since it was warranty work I never actually drove it. But the mechanic said it was bad. Tons of vibration. Even sitting on the lift when he rotated the wheel they didn't look right. He took them back out, put the stockers back in and everything was gold again.

Not that anyone is actually pursing these type of axles lol, but either go with aftermarket axles or the Gforce CV upgrade on the stock axles.
Sorry for ressurecting an old thread, but I wonder what caused the vibration? CV joint binding or balance? Or the bar itself?

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,528 Posts
Sorry for ressurecting an old thread, but I wonder what caused the vibration? CV joint binding or balance? Or the bar itself?
It actually ended up being a bent drive shaft yoke lol. At the time it was under warranty and I thought I grenaded the diff at the track. Really bad vibration was coming from the rear after the last pass one night. Felt like a diesel engine was in the trunk when driving at speed. I took it to the mechanic to get the diff fixed under warranty (milking my extended warranty for everything it was worth lol). Well he didn't check anything, just went and got an lqk rear and those O'Reilly axles and put em in. He Took it for drive and the car was still vibrating. He thought it was the Cheap axles that were the reason for the continued vibration. (That's when I made the post above) A few days later he swapped them back out for the stock axles and it was still vibrating. Later he ended up pulling the driveshaft and saw the yoke was bent. Got a new yoke and vibration went away. I wish he would have caught that before he took those O'Reilly axles out so i could have seen if they were actually ok. And I think he said they didn't look "trued" on the rack because of the way the axles look when the car is sitting on the lift with no load on the IRS. I doubt they were that bad. And here's said bent yoke. This was with dead hooking and power shifting on NT-05R's. That's why I use wheel spin to launch with those tires now for less shock to the drivetrain along with a stronger driveshaft.

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,528 Posts
Your poor car.
haha that's what I get for racing

i thought your side adjusters came loose, too?
Na the rear wasn't even hurt lol. I actually ended up putting the stock diff back in a couple months ago and it's way better than the junkyard used diff. The junk yard one started making grinding noises when turning even after a new fluid. Also, wheels started trying to lock together at full turn in parking lots. When I swapped the diff's back I popped the cover off the Junkyard one and found lots of tiny bits of metal like this.

·
Worthless reject member
45,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So i have been messing with a set of the surtrack axles. The spline pattern isn't the same as your standard 108mm cv joint. So, if anyone is thinking of using these to build a set of upgraded axles, forget it.

I mean, you could reuse the inner races that came with the axles, but they are crap. They don't look hardened and probably are barely equal to the strength of the stock inner races, if that.

·
Worthless reject member
45,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Just an FYI, the surtrack axles use a 36mm spline setup. Stock use the standard 28 spline inner race the Porsche 930-style 108mm CV's use.

·
Registered
151 Posts
for less than even the cheapest used cores on ebay, has any messed around with 'GSP'-brand NCV10024 axles?

from the pictures, they don't look to be made from quite the same grade chinesium as the surtrack's, so perhaps these can be used as cores for the 930 cv upgrade.

·
Worthless reject member
45,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
don't even bother getting these axles. they are trash.

just rebuild a set of stock axles with loebro/gkn joints and sent it.

·
1 of 40,757
6,562 Posts
Well, for a $160 I might as well throw a set of these at my car and see what happens.
Seriously though, the boots are cracked on my originals. Probably a good idea to repair them.

Rebuild or buy the Trakmotive parts.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO SRM 109k
104 Posts
Well, for a $160 I might as well throw a set of these at my car and see what happens.
Seriously though, the boots are cracked on my originals. Probably a good idea to repair them.

Rebuild or buy the Trakmotive parts.
I'm running these as a broke fix with my 4.11 gears. I just haven't dumped the clutch is all

·
1 of 40,757
6,562 Posts
Seem to be good units. I don't drive my GTO anything like it should be so for me they'll be fine.
Will rebuild the stock parts some day.

Included documentation strongly suggest replacing clips when swapping these in.

axles1.jpg

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO SRM 109k
104 Posts
The borh
Seem to be good units. I don't drive my GTO anything like it should be so for me they'll be fine.
Will rebuild the stock parts some day.

Included documentation strongly suggest replacing clips when swapping these in.

View attachment 507501
The bolts that came with the axles were to short though. I don't know if they just messed up my order or what.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts