LS1GTO Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Don't own one but soon, 2005 Pontiac GTO, M6, Cyclone Grey.
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yet again I come to the almighty GTO forums for some questioning. So, I am looking into suspension for a GTO, I've heard lots of things and had lots of people tell me that the first thing I should do to my GTO when I get it is replacing a lot of the suspension. So my main thing is really, what suspension setup should I go with to keep the factory ride height? I've heard a lot of people say that GM sells NOS suspension and motor components for these cars, but I've never looked into it. I've also heard that I should immediately change out the rear-end gear because that causes the car to fall off after about 100 miles an hour. So what gear should I go to? 3.70? 3.90? Any help or advice is appreciated!

I'd also like to add one of the things I want to do is the Camaro Brembo brake conversion.

·
Worthless reject member
53,848 Posts
don't buy GM crap for the suspension.

nothing wrong with the factory ratio. 3.46:1 is a lot better than a lot of rear end gearing that came in many GM cars. the car just looses acceleration from the gear change into 4th (in an M6, anyway) over 100. gears may improve that somewhat, but you'll lose it in other places.

·
Registered
2006 GTO
166 Posts
Gears were one of the best mods I did for this car. 3.91s are great but I liked the 3.70s better.

Edit: Try to get the gears from Australia. All other brands will most likely whine/be noisy even when setup properly.

·
Registered
04 Quicksilver on red M6, 17s. Bone stock minus aluminum radiator/Silicone hoses
48 Posts
Get with Andy over at Kollar to discuss suspension needs. Parts choice would depend if youre just looking for something that rides like stock but better, or if looking to improve handling over all oem aspects. Either or inbetween he is your guy. Im at the tail end of my full suspension refresh and it was a doozey.

·
Performance Addict
2005 PBM, 6 Speed, corner carver
258 Posts
I have an 05 6 speed. My first mod was a Motive 4:11 gear. This really transformed the car for me. The motor is mostly stock.

As for suspension I am running lovel's 20mm drop springs and Koni single adjustable shocks/struts. All suspension bushings are poly. I am also running Spoohn rear toe bars, Harropp diff cover. I am very happy with the ride height, handling and comfort. However, if I were to do it over, I will go coil overs next time.

I am running stock brakes, DBA rotors and EBC pads. If you are serious about Camaro Brembo's I have a complete set listed here. 2010-2015 Camaro Brembo F/R 4 piston calipers Complete... I decided not to install them because I am sticking with the stock 17" wheels.

As for the best advice, I'll echo talk to Andy at Kollar and he will set you up!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gears were one of the best mods I did for this car. 3.91s are great but I liked the 3.70s better.

Edit: Try to get the gears from Australia. All other brands will most likely whine/be noisy even when setup properly.
I have heard about whiney rear end gears in GTO's, but a lot of the complaining was about the stock ones actually, the guy that I spoke to about it said just use a thicker gear oil and you should be fine, but yeah if I can I'll certainly try for Australian gears.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an 05 6 speed. My first mod was a Motive 4:11 gear. This really transformed the car for me. The motor is mostly stock.

As for suspension I am running lovel's 20mm drop springs and Koni single adjustable shocks/struts. All suspension bushings are poly. I am also running Spoohn rear toe bars, Harropp diff cover. I am very happy with the ride height, handling and comfort. However, if I were to do it over, I will go coil overs next time.

I am running stock brakes, DBA rotors and EBC pads. If you are serious about Camaro Brembo's I have a complete set listed here. 2010-2015 Camaro Brembo F/R 4 piston calipers Complete... I decided not to install them because I am sticking with the stock 17" wheels.

As for the best advice, I'll echo talk to Andy at Kollar and he will set you up!
I have been looking into poly bushings, a lot of people say that's the best way to go on the goat. I really want to keep my factory ride height, so I'll definitely have to reach out to Andy at Kollar and see what he recommends for that. I was thinking a 4.11 gear would be too short, plus I can't really find them to be completely honest. I was also thinking about a CTS-V wheel to go along with the Brembo brakes, I've seen a few with the CTS-V wheels, but there's a lot of conflicting info about them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
don't buy GM crap for the suspension.

nothing wrong with the factory ratio. 3.46:1 is a lot better than a lot of rear end gearing that came in many GM cars. the car just looses acceleration from the gear change into 4th (in an M6, anyway) over 100. gears may improve that somewhat, but you'll lose it in other places.
good to know about the GM NOS suspension. A lot of people tell me to change the rear-end gears. As a kid that's about to be in college, I really don't have the time or the money to pull the transmission and either change it or get it regeared. It's just one of the things that I'm either gonna have to do one or the other. And a lot of the people who have commented on this thread have said that gear change was the best mod they did. So I'll probably end up going to a shorter rear end gear, just because I don't want to lose out on acceleration and I'm willing to lose some top speed. Cause when am I ever gonna hit 170 anyways.

·
Worthless reject member
53,848 Posts
good to know about the GM NOS suspension. A lot of people tell me to change the rear-end gears. As a kid that's about to be in college, I really don't have the time or the money to pull the transmission and either change it or get it regeared. It's just one of the things that I'm either gonna have to do one or the other. And a lot of the people who have commented on this thread have said that gear change was the best mod they did. So I'll probably end up going to a shorter rear end gear, just because I don't want to lose out on acceleration and I'm willing to lose some top speed. Cause when am I ever gonna hit 170 anyways.
get aussie gears, like the other folks said. $$$ but worth it.

·
Worthless reject member
53,848 Posts
I have heard about whiney rear end gears in GTO's, but a lot of the complaining was about the stock ones actually, the guy that I spoke to about it said just use a thicker gear oil and you should be fine, but yeah if I can I'll certainly try for Australian gears.
motive's are known for it, and the chinesium ripoffs as well, i am sure.

·
Registered
2006 GTO
166 Posts
motive's are known for it, and the chinesium ripoffs as well, i am sure.
Yep. I've tried Motive and Yukon, both shit.

OP I used Diff Technics in Australia. This was 2014, and it looks like their website is down. They do have a Facebook page though if you search. Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep. I've tried Motive and Yukon, both shit.

OP I used Diff Technics in Australia. This was 2014, and it looks like their website is down. They do have a Facebook page though if you search. Good luck!
thank you very much for telling me where to look for Australian gears lmao. It's difficult when people point you in the direction, but don't give a brand, which makes it very hard to search for diff gears lmao. I reached out to Andy over at Kollar about suspension so yeah. Pricing things out is really the biggest thing I can think to do while I don't have the car. And like I said as a kid about to go into college it is going to be super difficult for me to pay for all of these things. The exhaust I want alone is over 4k, granted that's headers, a cat, and the cat-back, but still. That's a lot of money for 50 horsepower lmao.

·
Registered
2006 GTO
166 Posts
thank you very much for telling me where to look for Australian gears lmao. It's difficult when people point you in the direction, but don't give a brand, which makes it very hard to search for diff gears lmao. I reached out to Andy over at Kollar about suspension so yeah. Pricing things out is really the biggest thing I can think to do while I don't have the car. And like I said as a kid about to go into college it is going to be super difficult for me to pay for all of these things. The exhaust I want alone is over 4k, granted that's headers, a cat, and the cat-back, but still. That's a lot of money for 50 horsepower lmao.
I would say just get long tubes and keep the stock exhaust. It sounds great and has no drone. $1200 give or take for a good set and if you can do the install yourself like I was able you can save money there too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would say just get long tubes and keep the stock exhaust. It sounds great and has no drone. $1200 give or take for a good set and if you can do the install yourself like I was able you can save money there too.
yeah but that's the thing I like about the corsa is that it's drone proof. Now that could be a different story with Kooks headers and cat's but I'd have to do more research

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
12,095 Posts
So is the idea to drag race the car or just street drag peoples.

or road course it. different answers all. I drove mine too much and competed in a stock category for no gears but I reall thought about doing gears with a wavetrac or trutrac.

Suspension - if drag racing hard - well alot of front suspension things you can ingore and I would certainly not do that brembo mod becasue of the wheel and tire issues. again if drag racing. actually I'd ingore that brake mod for alot of other reasons mostly unsprung weight and etc issue for wheel selection but meh.

If road coursing - totally different suggestions and again I'd avoid that brake mod I also ran DBA rotors, but porterfield pads at the end. I also stayed on 17 inch stock rims. and the suspension recommendations go on from there - I have some threads on this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So is the idea to drag race the car or just street drag peoples.

or road course it. different answers all. I drove mine too much and competed in a stock category for no gears but I reall thought about doing gears with a wavetrac or trutrac.

Suspension - if drag racing hard - well alot of front suspension things you can ingore and I would certainly not do that brembo mod becasue of the wheel and tire issues. again if drag racing. actually I'd ingore that brake mod for alot of other reasons mostly unsprung weight and etc issue for wheel selection but meh.

If road coursing - totally different suggestions and again I'd avoid that brake mod I also ran DBA rotors, but porterfield pads at the end. I also stayed on 17 inch stock rims. and the suspension recommendations go on from there - I have some threads on this.
Honestly, it's gonna be my daily driver for a while, so I can really avoid all of the drag racing shit. But if I do go racing, it's gonna be against buddies from stop lights. So gears are probably one of the biggest things I can do, especially on a college kids budget.

·
Worthless reject member
53,848 Posts
i think the places that used to list them in the states no longer list them. i think they can still get them, you would have to call gforce1320 or kollar to see if they can still order them. or contact the guy on LS1TECH who builds these rear ends -- 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT. I doubt he'll want to sell you a set. he's probably going to want to build it for you. interesting fellow to say the least.

sniffing around on australian sites is the other way to go. i find a lot of stuff on ebay.com.au. you'd have to search for VZ monaro and commodore stuff, maybe VX, V2, or VY. learn what parts can interchange and what holdens came with the dana/spicer M80 IRS. or with any other part on the car, really.

the problem is with these cars, these days, is that parts hunting will always be a treasure hunt. it isn't easy and it will start to get way harder as time goes on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
unless you're rebuilding the rear end yourself, it's not cheap. even then, it isn't cheap, really.
$500 for motive gears and I can change the gears myself. I had also been planning on buying some of the axle shafts and what not, a lot of people I talk to say, rear end gears, full suspension, and axle shafts. Just gonna have to end up being my decision when I do end up pulling the trigger on new parts

·
Worthless reject member
53,848 Posts
$500 for motive gears and I can change the gears myself. I had also been planning on buying some of the axle shafts and what not, a lot of people I talk to say, rear end gears, full suspension, and axle shafts. Just gonna have to end up being my decision when I do end up pulling the trigger on new parts
unless you drag race or do high power, you don't need axle shafts.

pop your stubs out, if they aren't showing any twisting, send it. my 04's were still straight after almost 90 thousand miles. my 05's twisted like pretzels because i took it to the drag strip constantly.

put new CV joints on the factory axle shafts. if you can build a rear end, the CV axles are absolute basic stuff. EMPI or Lobro/GKN 108mm jonits are fine. EMPI makes some chromoly cages and inner races as well if you want an upgrade.

you'll want to do more than the gears. a new carrier--kaaz, wavetrac, truetrac, whatever. at least bearings and seals. invest in plenty of shims for the big pinion race. crush collar or spacer kit? your side adjusters will probably self destruct on removal, so buy a new set of those.

it's going to cost more than a set of gears.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.