LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Do you care for a GOATASM?
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a fool when it comes to suspensions, unless it belongs on a jeep. I like a firm ride, that of lifted vechiles or that of the Z06 vette. I was wondering which upgrade should be done first to get a firmer, more attached to the road feel. Should I just upgrade the springs to something a little firmer, or do the struts. I would like to car to be set up for all around use. Some drag racing, and some touring driving, the roads that are just fun to drive because they have a nice mix of turns and sweeping bends to play on. I know some people use the drag bags to stop the car from squatting and wheel hop, but that apparently is not the best for street cornering. Other things I have seen is the upgraded springs allow people to use bigger tires in the rear because they are stiffer which I would love to put some bigger tires on. Just trying to get thoughts and opinions on this. I have read the suspension forum, and this does not seem to be addressed directly. I guess in short, what would satisfy my needs all around better. Can only do one thing at a time.

Thanks all in advance.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have the 1/2" drop rear and 1" drop front springs from Pedder's along with the Pedder's GSR Big Bore rear shock's and GRS front struts. After going on a fun run this week end to Austin with the Houston Goat Herd (HGH) I have only one thing to say. Woohooo ya baby. The ride is firmer but not a kidney pounder and man it takes the twistie.

I say go Pedder's

·
Registered Gator
506 Posts
Start with two upgrades : The X-member mount and the Front adj. radius rod bushings. These two parts are less that ideal from the factory. There are three companies that make these parts for our Goats. Start there and see how it feels. Some of us went with complete packages , others just changed these bushings. From all I can remember , there have been no complaints on the effects of changing out these two pieces...:)

Plus remember the new TT bolts that are recommended to be replaced.

·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your posts. Gville, what are the TT bolts that recommend replacement. I will search on it, but I have not heard about it.

Thanks again.

·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I was looking over the prices....who wants to finaince that for me? $500 to get into the game, $1500 to be on top of it. Man I need to make more money.

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
Get your struts/shocks first. The stock springs will work fine with aftermarket shocks, but the stock struts/shocks will wear out very fast with a set of aftermarket springs. The bushings would actaully be a good place to start, but struts and shocks before springs.

TTY = Torque to Yeild, aka one time use bolts.

·
Registered Gator
506 Posts
The TTY bolts needed for the x-member bushings are # 92038482 (need two)

$8.30 each + s/h at Fred Beans on left...

And also don't forget the rear (and front if Pedders dealer) cradle alignments - which is over and above the 4wheel force alignment , and the follow up alignments at each step... There are also front and rear cradle TTY bolts and diff bolts if you go for the diff insert...Plus most of us went through the stock rubber pretty fast and new Tires are not cheap...:)

Mods will put a dent in your checking account and regular "severe duty" maint. is also not cheap even if you DIY, But we all know the SEG's are still worth the price of admission. Welcome to the fun of Goating past the imports:gears:

edit : Oops we are an import - so say the Non-Oz imports...:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts