LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey GTOers,

I need some help figuring out new suspension. I am running 18" wheels with 265 tires in the back. After cutting my fenders, I am still rubbing on launches at the 9:30 and 2:30 positions. I can cut more at the 9:30 position but I can't cut any further at the 2:30 position because that is where the fender is meeting the splash guard and the bumper cover. Stock suspension all around and I have some rear spring sag for sure.

I am thinking the Pedders springs, shocks, and struts or maybe the Pedders coilovers or maybe the Maverick Man Carbon coilovers.

Bottom line, I need to stiffen the rear end and also minimize the lateral and longitudinal body roll to stop rubbing. With this in mind, what direction should I go? Tired of not getting on the gas so I don't shred my new tires.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a few pics!

·
Kollar Racing Products
5,419 Posts
Hoe do you use the car?Measure your car from the center of the wheel to the fender arch on all 4. I also need to know IF any suspension work has been done to the car...Email or PM it to me

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hoe do you use the car?Measure your car from the center of the wheel to the fender arch on all 4. I also need to know IF any suspension work has been done to the car...Email or PM it to me
It's not a daily driver, but I drive mostly street and eventually some track drag racing. The car is up in the air right now, I'll take measurements and PM you. No suspension work has been done.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cut the fenders further yesterday, I'm down to about 0.5 inches from 9:30 to 2:30, a little wider on the side of the fender that is closer to the front of the car. I also removed the splash guards and cut them since they would be sticking out wider than the cut fender lip. Did a rolling WOT but haven't done a hard launch yet. Either way, suspension is one of the next things on the list.

·
Registered
218 Posts
FYI:

I have attached pic of GTO Lift points (sorry should have sent sooner).

Here is pic of GTO rear cradle bolt locations:
bolt lcations to align rear cradle.jpg

Recently I bought these shocks and coils from Summit to return GTO to stock height:

Pedders Suspension PED-7643 - Pedders Standard Height Springs
PED-7643
Springs, Standard Height, Coil Type, Rear, Red Powdercoated, Pontiac, 2 Each
(Mfr. #: PED-7643)​

Pedders Suspension PED-9195 - Pedders GSR Big Bore Shocks and Struts
PED-9195
Shock/Strut, GSR Big Bore, Twin-tube, Gas Charged, Rear, Pontiac, 2 Each
(Mfr. #: PED-9195)​

I also have previously installed:

2 -HMS Urethane Mount Vet/GTO HMS Urethane Engine Mounts - Corvette & GTO 4050

1 - HMS Urethane Trans GTO M6 HMS Urethane Transmission Mount - Pontiac GTO 2004-
2006 Manual M6 7004

1 - HMS Engine Mount Shield (PAIR) Engine Mount Heat Shield - Standard height, Velcro
attachment - Pair

1 - GTO10325A 04-06 GTO Heavy Duty Dual Bushing Diff Mount

Replaced all bushings (oem) with Pedders Poly onesI

I purchased:

Drag Bags but did not install, the Heavy Duty Dual Bushing Diff Mount eliminated wheel hop so far.

3.73 Dana-Spicer ring / pinion and new Tru-Tac and all new bearings, bushings, shims -etc

I plan to to do front end next (once Andy and I get over "squabble" we had. Hopefully time heals this)
Koni Adj shocks using "cut a strut mod"
Lovells coils (cannot buy till rear end is done and height is measured then will drop .5" on coils.

Brad

·
1 of 90
1,097 Posts
You didn't say what offset you have on your wheels, but you could try Pedders Drag Springs. They will raise the rear a little and stiffen it up some.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You didn't say what offset you have on your wheels, but you could try Pedders Drag Springs. They will raise the rear a little and stiffen it up some.
Flow One Race Spec F2 Wheels (Gloss Black Painted) (Front: 18x8 + 42mm, Rear: 18x9 + 45mm)

Nitto NT555 G2 Tires (Front: 235/40 ZR18, Rear: 265/35 ZR18)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey GTOers,

I need some help figuring out new suspension. I am running 18" wheels with 265 tires in the back. After cutting my fenders, I am still rubbing on launches at the 9:30 and 2:30 positions. I can cut more at the 9:30 position but I can't cut any further at the 2:30 position because that is where the fender is meeting the splash guard and the bumper cover. Stock suspension all around and I have some rear spring sag for sure.

I am thinking the Pedders springs, shocks, and struts or maybe the Pedders coilovers or maybe the Maverick Man Carbon coilovers.

Bottom line, I need to stiffen the rear end and also minimize the lateral and longitudinal body roll to stop rubbing. With this in mind, what direction should I go? Tired of not getting on the gas so I don't shred my new tires.

Thanks in advance!
Ive bought some Pedders Struts bushings and springs they are all junk. There are a few decent suppliers out there but dont waste your money on Pedders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Hey GTOers,

Thanks in advance!
Ive bought some Pedders Struts bushings and springs they are all junk. There are a few decent suppliers out there but dont waste your money on Pedders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The original rear suspension goes bad on these about 30k. I went coilovers and have been very happy with them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I first bought my car, the previous owner had the ROH offset rims installed with a 265/35 on the rear and they rubbed with the stock suspension. So one of the first mods I did was to install Pedders drag springs. Not only did it eliminate the rubbing, it gave it a better looking stance since the back always seemed to sit too low (my opinion). That was 11 years ago and still no rubbing. They are a stiffer spring rate as well, but I'd also recommend a sway bar back there. I have Whiteline bars on front & back and they do help level the car in the corners.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I first bought my car, the previous owner had the ROH offset rims installed with a 265/35 on the rear and they rubbed with the stock suspension. So one of the first mods I did was to install Pedders drag springs. Not only did it eliminate the rubbing, it gave it a better looking stance since the back always seemed to sit too low (my opinion). That was 11 years ago and still no rubbing. They are a stiffer spring rate as well, but I'd also recommend a sway bar back there. I have Whiteline bars on front & back and they do help level the car in the corners.
You just did the springs and the away bars? No struts or shocks?

The original rear suspension goes bad on these about 30k. I went coilovers and have been very happy with them.
30k, yikes that's awful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You just did the springs and the away bars? No struts or shocks?
Yes, I did things in stages with this car. Other cars I've done complete rebuilds, but neither time nor funds were abundant when I got into this project. Sway bars were first, then after deciding what to do about the rubbing tires, I did rear springs next with the Pedders drag springs. I also installed the poly differential mount insert, which helped stiffen up and help eliminate the rear end clunking. Several years later I came back around to do rear shocks and complete rebuild of the front struts. I just went with the KYB shocks & struts since this is a daily driver. Something happened to Pedders a few years back (I don't recall if it was bankruptcy), but it was hard to source front springs. I heard good things about Lovell's, so I went with their stock height springs up front. Then last year I had a radius rod bushing pull through the body mount, so I went ahead and redid all front bushings with Whiteline polys. Previous owner already did the rear subframe with poly bushings.

If you want the "wow" factor to feel the difference in the work you did, then do everything together. Since each component plays off one another, you'll get the biggest smile doing it all at once. But if you don't have the means to do it all at once, you can piece meal it like I did.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I did things in stages with this car. Other cars I've done complete rebuilds, but neither time nor funds were abundant when I got into this project. Sway bars were first, then after deciding what to do about the rubbing tires, I did rear springs next with the Pedders drag springs. I also installed the poly differential mount insert, which helped stiffen up and help eliminate the rear end clunking. Several years later I came back around to do rear shocks and complete rebuild of the front struts. I just went with the KYB shocks & struts since this is a daily driver. Something happened to Pedders a few years back (I don't recall if it was bankruptcy), but it was hard to source front springs. I heard good things about Lovell's, so I went with their stock height springs up front. Then last year I had a radius rod bushing pull through the body mount, so I went ahead and redid all front bushings with Whiteline polys. Previous owner already did the rear subframe with poly bushings.

If you want the "wow" factor to feel the difference in the work you did, then do everything together. Since each component plays off one another, you'll get the biggest smile doing it all at once. But if you don't have the means to do it all at once, you can piece meal it like I did.
I'll have to see how the rubbing is now that I've cut further. Might have to piece meal it like you did, we'll see where the funds are at next summer. Minnesota winter is coming quick.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
While my car is put away for the winter, I'm thinking about getting coilovers to install this winter. Curious to know if the MaverickManCarbon.com coilovers will work with my rim/tire size?

Wheels - Front: 18x8 + 42mm, Rear: 18x9 + 45mm
Tires - Front: 235/40/18, Rear: 265/35/18

Since this setup makes the wheels flush with the outside surface of the fender, do the MavMan coilovers offer adjustable ride height that will sit above the tire?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hey GTOers,

Thanks in advance!
Shocks, struts, sways etc will all help but...in order for the suspension to move around it has to flex the bushings. All of the upgrades mentioned are not in solid connection between the car and suspension, they all move with it, they have to. The single greatest improvement you can make is in the bushings; OEM are junk. There are over 30 on the car, the ones to pay real attention to are the (front) radius rods, control arms and upper strut mounts. In back it's the sub frame, control arms and differential mount. Even if you don't change the other components bushings alone will make it feel like an entirely different car. Look at it this way; If you get into the shocks/springs/ struts etc the bushings are right there looking you in the eye, if not now when? A word on R+Ring sways: GRRRRRRR!!!!!!! Not a word, more like an emotion, you have to take the world apart starting at hell's front door.

·
Registered
625 Posts
While my car is put away for the winter, I'm thinking about getting coilovers to install this winter. Curious to know if the MaverickManCarbon.com coilovers will work with my rim/tire size?

Wheels - Front: 18x8 + 42mm, Rear: 18x9 + 45mm
Tires - Front: 235/40/18, Rear: 265/35/18

Since this setup makes the wheels flush with the outside surface of the fender, do the MavMan coilovers offer adjustable ride height that will sit above the tire?
Yea they can go quite high. But you’d need the dampening high to keep the fender from eating the tires if hitting bumps and decent speeds.
Also my car doesn’t see snow but has been in a few bad rain storms these past couple years but one of my springs broke after being on the car for about 3 years. One of my end links broke in 24 hours. As I got the car aligned right after install and got it back broke from the shop. So you get what you pay for. Ended up installing whileline adjustable endlinks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shocks, struts, sways etc will all help but...in order for the suspension to move around it has to flex the bushings. All of the upgrades mentioned are not in solid connection between the car and suspension, they all move with it, they have to. The single greatest improvement you can make is in the bushings; OEM are junk. There are over 30 on the car, the ones to pay real attention to are the (front) radius rods, control arms and upper strut mounts. In back it's the sub frame, control arms and differential mount. Even if you don't change the other components bushings alone will make it feel like an entirely different car. Look at it this way; If you get into the shocks/springs/ struts etc the bushings are right there looking you in the eye, if not now when? A word on R+Ring sways: GRRRRRRR!!!!!!! Not a word, more like an emotion, you have to take the world apart starting at hell's front door.
So if I go with the coilover route, I'd definitely do the upper strut mount bushings. Would be wise to do the control arm bushings at this time as well? I've definitely heard the differential mount being a common upgrade. I was thinking about sway bars too.

Yea they can go quite high. But you’d need the dampening high to keep the fender from eating the tires if hitting bumps and decent speeds.
Also my car doesn’t see snow but has been in a few bad rain storms these past couple years but one of my springs broke after being on the car for about 3 years. One of my end links broke in 24 hours. As I got the car aligned right after install and got it back broke from the shop. So you get what you pay for. Ended up installing whileline adjustable endlinks.
Are you saying you had the MaverickManCarbon coilovers then? And the end links that came with them were no good?

·
Registered
625 Posts
So if I go with the coilover route, I'd definitely do the upper strut mount bushings. Would be wise to do the control arm bushings at this time as well? I've definitely heard the differential mount being a common upgrade. I was thinking about sway bars too.

Are you saying you had the MaverickManCarbon coilovers then? And the end links that came with them were no good?
I still have them. The endlinks are cheap. As is the whole kit. They were good until one broke.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts