LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 spd., h-pipe, flowmaster mufflers, DSS 1000 1 pc. Driveshaft
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better to do a coil over kit, or putting together a KYB diy rebuild kit (meaning using that brand) and some pedders coil springs? What route do most of you guys go? It is daily driven roughly 7 months out of the year in the nice months, no winter driving. Roughly 2500 miles per year. Not tracking the car either. Thanks fellas!

·
Worthless reject member
41,612 Posts
if i was never going to track it, i would just update the stock suspension.

don't use kyb strut mounts. they will collapse in like 50 miles. get a poly strut mount. i would get lovells if you want to use stock replacement dampers, which is what the kyb's would be.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well heres a question. Ill have 500 just in lovells coil springs. Then I'd also have to get struts and mounts. Wouldn't I be better off getting the pedders xa coil over kit? Or are those kits not meant for daily driver use?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well heres a question. Ill have 500 just in lovells coil springs. Then I'd also have to get struts and mounts. Wouldn't I be better off getting the pedders xa coil over kit? Or are those kits not meant for daily driver use?
I had originally bought lovells springs (rode great other than the blown stock shocks i found during the process). So i priced out shocks/bumpers/springs not to mention the work putting into getting the cartridges to fit. The price is near coilovers anyways. Coilovers will let you run larger tires up front and give you height adjustability in the future.

I dd mine on coilovers and zero complaints but i like a "stiff" car

·
Performance Addict
2005 PBM, 6 Speed, corner carver
184 Posts
I am running lovells 20mm drop springs and Koni single adjustable shocks/struts. The car rides fantastic and I can get it very stiff or very comfy with the shock settings.

I really like this setup, however knowing what I do now, I would go full coilovers. In the end the price is not that different but the adjustability of coilovers and the extra tire clearance are worth it to me.

You won’t go wrong with either, I just think you’ll like the coilovers better.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I'm leaning toward. Coilovers. All in one kit. Does the XA kit come with everything for install. Also are the rear coils heavy duty?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The drag style coil spring.

·
Worthless reject member
41,612 Posts
i think they are higher rate than typically wanted in drag racing which would prevent weight transfer, someone more informed on that though might chime in
the problem with our IRS is squat, stiffer springs and dampers help to control that..

real drag cars don't squat, if they are dialed in right. you'll see the rear end actually lift... the front end lifts more, lol, but the rear suspension is designed to force the wheels into the ground, not take up the energy with springs squishing.

softer springs could help if you wanted a softer tire hit, but with our semi-trailing arm suspensions you have the camber/toe changes to take into consideration that happens when the suspension squats.

for a street setup, or road course, different story altogether.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,214 Posts
I am running lovells 20mm drop springs and Koni single adjustable shocks/struts. The car rides fantastic and I can get it very stiff or very comfy with the shock settings.

I really like this setup, however knowing what I do now, I would go full coilovers. In the end the price is not that different but the adjustability of coilovers and the extra tire clearance are worth it to me.

You won’t go wrong with either, I just think you’ll like the coilovers better.
I'll take the opposite stance; having had old Konis and Eibach>Stock>Used Lovells springs before my Pedders XA Supercar coilovers, I recommend you upgrade with conventional parts for a daily driver/cruiser.

If you don't care about tracking it, high speed shenanigans, or having greater clearance for tires up front, don't get coilovers. The reduced travel with the rear spring and adjustable perch isn't fun on big highway bumps. The adjustability is neat, but you can get the same street effectiveness out of Konis.

I'd recommend:
Whiteline poly strut mounts, Lovells springs (stock height or 20mm drop), and Koni shocks. This will give a good ride and good handling.

One factor in this equation that hasn't been brought up; what size wheels and tires are you going to run?
My coilovers are pretty decent most of the time for daily driver work when I'm running my 18s with 275 tires. My G8 19s feel like shit after adding coilovers.
If you're on factory 17s, then there may be greater comfort overhead for coilovers.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I don't drive mine often because I basically have to wash it each time and the ride sucks. The previous owner added Lovells 1/4" drop coils to what I think are OEM struts and shocks. He did change out some of the front bushings with Whiteline product. I'm changing things out a bit.

Koni front inserts
Koni rear shocks
Lovells stock height coils
SuperPro polyelast strut mounts
Other needed items

I'm hoping to get a better ride in the end while still being a bit sporty.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input. I dont know much about the coilovers which is why I needed the input. I wish there was a way to buy just a factory style quick strut for the front and be done with it, but haven't found one yet. I didn't want to spend over 1000 on the suspension, however I see you can go down a rabbit hole with these cars lol. I just want something that is a tad above stock for longevity to where it won't sag in 2 years lol. I've got a couple quotes through kollar racing and I am seeing what route I'm going as far as product brand.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,214 Posts
$1000 is really the starting point for a complete set. You aren't making a mistake spending it on coilovers or upgraded conventional parts, they are just two different paths.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Call Andy at kollar Racing. I did Lovell’s and loved them. But I did all new bushings sway bars end links radius rod bushings. It made it a completely different car. Now saying all that if I need new shocks I will be switching to coil overs. I am in the middle of a engine trans and procharger install so I might end up switching sooner then later. If money allows.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is it better to do a coil over kit, or putting together a KYB diy rebuild kit (meaning using that brand) and some pedders coil springs? What route do most of you guys go? It is daily driven roughly 7 months out of the year in the nice months, no winter driving. Roughly 2500 miles per year. Not tracking the car either. Thanks fellas!
I did a complete rebuild.to my 04 and had the same questions. The fact that toi are daily driving make it simple. Shocks and lowering springs. I went with pedders shocks and struts with Lovell spring. The rest was Whiteline. I was very happy with outcome, I drove 10k miles a year and enjoyed everyone of them. It was a totally different car. Even did a 1200 trip from Miami to NJ. My .02. Hope it helped.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went with Pedders shocks and 20mm lowering springs (springs are made by eibach). You might as well rebuild the whole setup with new sway bar links, strut mounts, strut mount bearings, bump stops. I went with the big bore rear shocks. I also did the radius rod bushings kit at the same time.

The ride is great and not to harsh. I would imagine coilovers would have been to harsh for my liking. My car had 54K and the stock suspension was toast. New suspension will make the car feel, look, and drive better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went with the Pedders extreme xa suspension kit. The ride is stiffer, but the car handles so much better than stock. Its totally adjustable for ride height, shock compression and rebound. Just call Andy. He'll set you up.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Lovell's stock height coil springs and KYB Struts and shocks here - Installed them about 18 months ago. The rear sag is gone, the ride is comfortable and it greatly reduced the body roll on curvy roads. This was what I was shooting for, and what I received - I'm happy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts