LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
110% Stock... :D
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have already ordered the parts and have installed some of the stuff. Though I'm having some problems with getting the ride height I want. So I'm hoping the ones that have done what I'm doing can help me out.

So far I have Pedders GTO SR Front Coils (#2142) and Pedders GTO SR Rear Coils (#7643). Then for bushings I went with Noltec... nothing agenst Pedders but I'm not a big fan of red. Noltec is blue (as you can see blue is my thing) and for the most part they are both seem to be great quality stuff. So for bushings I got Noltec rear crossmember bushings, Noltec radius rod bushings and Noltec rear diff insert.

I had also first ordered a set of Pedders GTO SR Rear Drag Coils (#2589). Though I ended up selling those for the #7643 seeing as how I do not want to raise the car up and and I'm not looking to have much rake if any.

I've already added the rear diff insert and rear corssmemeber bushings. It seems the crossmemeber bushings raised the rear up about 1/2"? With 18" wheels from the bottom of the wheel lip centered up though the wheel to the bottom of the fender the car sits at 24 1/4" (616mm's) at all 4 wheels. Would that seem about right, as I thought the rear was lower than the front stock? I can't really remember seeing as how I've had drag bags 2 months after I got the car.

So now I need to decide on what to do for springs. Reading up it seems the springs I have will riase the car, which I do not want. At the same time with 275/35/18's out back I don't want any rubbing. I have none now with just the bushings and no drag bags. So would I be best to order some Pedders 3/8" front drop springs and 1/2" rear drop springs? Use the springs I have? Or just finish up the bushings and call it a day? I would rather have the car dropped some if anything. Though at the same time I don't want any rubbing and I want to not use the drag bags again.

·
06 m6
164 Posts
Unknown said:
Well I have already ordered the parts and have installed some of the stuff. Though I'm having some problems with getting the ride height I want. So I'm hoping the ones that have done what I'm doing can help me out.

So far I have Pedders GTO SR Front Coils (#2142) and Pedders GTO SR Rear Coils (#7643). Then for bushings I went with Noltec... nothing agenst Pedders but I'm not a big fan of red. Noltec is blue (as you can see blue is my thing) and for the most part they are both seem to be great quality stuff. So for bushings I got Noltec rear crossmember bushings, Noltec radius rod bushings and Noltec rear diff insert.

I had also first ordered a set of Pedders GTO SR Rear Drag Coils (#2589). Though I ended up selling those for the #7643 seeing as how I do not want to raise the car up and and I'm not looking to have much rake if any.

I've already added the rear diff insert and rear corssmemeber bushings. It seems the crossmemeber bushings raised the rear up about 1/2"? With 18" wheels from the bottom of the wheel lip centered up though the wheel to the bottom of the fender the car sits at 24 1/4" (616mm's) at all 4 wheels. Would that seem about right, as I thought the rear was lower than the front stock? I can't really remember seeing as how I've had drag bags 2 months after I got the car.

So now I need to decide on what to do for springs. Reading up it seems the springs I have will riase the car, which I do not want. At the same time with 275/35/18's out back I don't want any rubbing. I have none now with just the bushings and no drag bags. So would I be best to order some Pedders 3/8" front drop springs and 1/2" rear drop springs? Use the springs I have? Or just finish up the bushings and call it a day? I would rather have the car dropped some if anything. Though at the same time I don't want any rubbing and I want to not use the drag bags again.
most are using the 1/2" drop in the back, that gomes closer to stock ( what evsr stock is ) seen 12 gtos at the dealer and all of them had a different ride hight. only 2 of them sat at the same as the front. I just installed the 7643 0 drop in my car and it made the car rise 1 1/2" but before you couldn't get your hand inbetwen the tire and the wheel well. now my car sits even, and I my self will be doing most of the same stuff you are doing. and I also had the drag bags , never installed them. ended tradeing the back in for the GMM shifter. hope this helps.

·
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
burnz said:
most are using the 1/2" drop in the back, that gomes closer to stock ( what evsr stock is ) seen 12 gtos at the dealer and all of them had a different ride hight. only 2 of them sat at the same as the front. I just installed the 7643 0 drop in my car and it made the car rise 1 1/2" but before you couldn't get your hand inbetwen the tire and the wheel well. now my car sits even, and I my self will be doing most of the same stuff you are doing. and I also had the drag bags , never installed them. ended tradeing the back in for the GMM shifter. hope this helps.
Happen to have any pics?

I've read more than once that the 0 drop springs raised the car up 1 1/2". So I will not be using them at all. Either way they pretty much advertise them to be OEM height springs but they raise the car up?

So I guess my question really is will running 275/35/18 and the Pedders 1/2" drop work? Also do they only drop the car 1/2", more/less? I understand that it will vary from car to car... so as I said my cars ride height is 24 1/4" (616mm's) on all 4 corners.

·
Sold August 10 2007
2,593 Posts
Unknown said:

I have run several Pedders spring combos. Best I think was the 2142's up front and the 2643's in back. That is what you see in my sig. Great ride, great handling. My last setup was to add the 2275's (1in drop) up front. For me the looks were right on but the ride was definately much better with the 2142's up front. If you replace your strut mounts with the HD Pedders strut mounts and bearings I would get the 3/8in drop front springs because the bushings will raise the car just a bit 1/4 to 5/16.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
Unknown said:
I'm not looking to have much rake if any.
OK.

Unknown said:
With 18" wheels from the bottom of the wheel lip centered up though the wheel to the bottom of the fender the car sits at 24 1/4" (616mm's) at all 4 wheels. Would that seem about right, as I thought the rear was lower than the front stock? I can't really remember seeing as how I've had drag bags 2 months after I got the car.
I have been on a ride height tear lately. If memory serves, the 'standard' ride height numbers are for 17" rims. For 18" rims we need to subtract 12.5mm to get what your ride height -would be- if you were on 17"s.

So 616-12.5+ 604.5mm. That is excellent. Again, I will defer to JusticePete and the gang, but if I recall the GTO leaves the factory with a 17" ride height at 610mm rear and 605 mm front. They come off the ship in San Francisco at ~about~ 605mm front and 605mm rear.

Unknown said:
I don't think you need to worry about raising the car at all with any of the Pedder's springs. In fact, considering you have some of the freshest springs OE springs I know of, you may be one of the few people who can install the Pedder's OE height springs and not raise your car.

I will say the Pedder's QC seems to be very good. I have seen several Pedderized goats now in person, you can do the same here with the search button on a decent broad band connection.

When you find a look you like pictured here you can pretty much order those same Pedder's springs with good confidence your car will sit the same as the one pictured.

Not sure about which springs for 275/40/18 out back.

HTH some,
Scott

·
06 m6
164 Posts
Unknown said:
Happen to have any pics?

I've read more than once that the 0 drop springs raised the car up 1 1/2". So I will not be using them at all. Either way they pretty much advertise them to be OEM height springs but they raise the car up?

So I guess my question really is will running 275/35/18 and the Pedders 1/2" drop work? Also do they only drop the car 1/2", more/less? I understand that it will vary from car to car... so as I said my cars ride height is 24 1/4" (616mm's) on all 4 corners.
not to sure on the 1/2" drops, think you will get more facks from this guy (justicepete) look under midwest on the pedders tech session. he is pedders.

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
swmn said:
OK.

I have been on a ride height tear lately. If memory serves, the 'standard' ride height numbers are for 17" rims. For 18" rims we need to subtract 12.5mm to get what your ride height -would be- if you were on 17"s.

Scott
The tire hieght differece between the 18 and 17 will make up the difference.

I have the 2643 with the 10 mil spacers and my car is just barely lower than stock in the rear.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
The issue of proper ride height is challenging sometimes due to variables in the suspension, and where the Oe springs are at. There is as much as a 5/8 variation in heights at the rear with OE springs.

The Pedders 2142 are EO height and come in reallllly close. the 7643 Pedders rear springs are listed as OE height, but will actually lift the rear end 3/8 to 1/2 inch. No way will these springs raise the vehicle 1.5 inches!the 7843 will do that, but we say they will.

I have installed hundreds of rear xmember bushings and have never seen them raise the height in the rear. You need to recheck it

mike
dms

·
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dms said:
The issue of proper ride height is challenging sometimes due to variables in the suspension, and where the Oe springs are at. There is as much as a 5/8 variation in heights at the rear with OE springs.

The Pedders 2142 are EO height and come in reallllly close. the 7643 Pedders rear springs are listed as OE height, but will actually lift the rear end 3/8 to 1/2 inch. No way will these springs raise the vehicle 1.5 inches!the 7843 will do that, but we say they will.

I have installed hundreds of rear xmember bushings and have never seen them raise the height in the rear. You need to recheck it

mike
dms
Have you ever installed Noltec ones? The Noltec ones come with two top bushings. One is for a V6 and the other a V8. The V6 one is about 1/2" (1/4" thick) less thick than the V8 one (3/4"). The Pedders top bushing does not seem to be as thick as the Noltec V8 one either. I've rechecked many times and they are in there snug with no problems.

http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL440/1612587/8765763/185865671.jpg
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL440/1612587/8765763/185865694.jpg
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL440/1612587/8765763/185865688.jpg
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL440/1612587/3090906/189092546.jpg
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL440/1612587/3090906/189092539.jpg

·
06 m6
164 Posts
dms said:

mike
dms
my 0 drop pedders did raise the rear 1 1/2" pete took alook at my car, when we were at the pedders tech session. I have only 6500 mi and is 3-4 mo old. she was saging pretty bad. I now have 2 inches of clearance betwen the tire and wheel well.

·
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got to thinking... if the Noltec crossmember bushings are the problem I'll just swap them out for Pedders ones. I wanted to try something different and go with blue instead of red but if it's making things harder for the ride height it's not worth it. So if the Pedders will give the rear stock ride height so I can just use the OE height springs I have now I'll do that instead of ordering up yet another set of springs, etc.

·
06 m6
164 Posts
Unknown said:
Well I got to thinking... if the Noltec crossmember bushings are the problem I'll just swap them out for Pedders ones. I wanted to try something different and go with blue instead of red but if it's making things harder for the ride height it's not worth it. So if the Pedders will give the rear stock ride height so I can just use the OE height springs I have now I'll do that instead of ordering up yet another set of springs, etc.
can't remember, did you have wheel hop. if so you mite want to change the springs as well. but if your looking to stay at the oe hight, than you want to go with the 1/2" drop. the bushings alone will not raise the car.

·
06 m6
164 Posts
if your not getting any rubbing with the stock springs, then you should be good with the 1/2" drop peders they are a stifer ride. but real nice they let you hold the road alot better. when I send her out sideways, it's ferm and more controled then before. ether way if you have a pedders parts store next to you then, I'd say just do the bushings and if they happin to rub then do the springs. the springs only took me 45min. on my back in the driveway.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The Noltec rear subframe bushings should not raise the ride height. Make certain that the bushing is completely seated and the frame is bolted all the way up. It is really about where the bolt seats on the crush tube, there are thousands of these bushing sets out there. You will notice other bushing tops are loose, according to above this should lower the car...right... Obviously not the case, it is really about the crush tube and where it is seated with the bolt.

·
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MidwestPd said:
The Noltec rear subframe bushings should not raise the ride height. Make certain that the bushing is completely seated and the frame is bolted all the way up. It is really about where the bolt seats on the crush tube, there are thousands of these bushing sets out there. You will notice other bushing tops are loose, according to above this should lower the car...right... Obviously not the case, it is really about the crush tube and where it is seated with the bolt.
They all look fine to me, here are some pics I just took...

Passanger side
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL440/1612587/12851758/189659376.jpg
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL440/1612587/12851758/189659384.jpg
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL440/1612587/12851758/189659377.jpg

Driver side
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL440/1612587/12851758/189659379.jpg
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL440/1612587/12851758/189659381.jpg
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL440/1612587/12851758/189659378.jpg

It would be alittle strange that both sides would raise up the same amount wouldn't it? I mean then I would have to have a bolt on both sides out (or whatever) the same amount?

·
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well after cleaning the car today I noticed that I had alittle less than 1/4 tank of gas today. I remember I left it that way so it would be lighter while jacking up the rear end. So after cleaning the car inside and out I went and filled it up. It did drop the rear of the car down to 23 7/8" (606mm's) on the driver side and 24" (610mm's). The passanger side has always been slightly higher than the driver side. My springs seem to have always been the stiffest out of any GTO that I know, so I guess this would make my ride height just about right huh? I didn't think not having that much gas would make a difference, also I though the cars came here almost empty on gas so the ride height was at 1/4 tank or so?

http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL440/1612587/12851758/189843138.jpg
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL440/1612587/12851758/189843143.jpg
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL440/1612587/12851758/189843140.jpg

·
06 m6
164 Posts
Unknown said:
Well after cleaning the car today I noticed that I had alittle less than 1/4 tank of gas today. I remember I left it that way so it would be lighter while jacking up the rear end. So after cleaning the car inside and out I went and filled it up. It did drop the rear of the car down to 23 7/8" (606mm's) on the driver side and 24" (610mm's). The passanger side has always been slightly higher than the driver side. My springs seem to have always been the stiffest out of any GTO that I know, so I guess this would make my ride height just about right huh? I didn't think not having that much gas would make a difference, also I though the cars came here almost empty on gas so the ride height was at 1/4 tank or so?

http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL440/1612587/12851758/189843138.jpg
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL440/1612587/12851758/189843143.jpg
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL440/1612587/12851758/189843140.jpg
yea, you have one of the good ones. your hight is nice and even. mine looks bit higher in the back then yours because of the pedders 0 drop. springs. my hight measering from the bottom of the wheel is 24" is that the same spot you are measering from.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
Unknown said:
Well after cleaning the car today I noticed that I had a little less than 1/4 tank of gas. I went and filled it up. It did drop the rear of the car down to 23 7/8" (606mm's) on the driver side and 24" (610mm's).
Standard ride height is at 1/4 tank of gas. So if you measure yours at 1/4 tank and I measure mine at 1/4 tank Justice Pete can talk to both of us...

If you have confidence in your data, and know how much gas you put in the car, and know how much a gallon of gas weighs you can calculate your spring rates without buying an $800 tool.

BTW, how much do you want for those springs after they come off the car? You have a PM, I am not kidding.

·
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
swmn said:
Standard ride height is at 1/4 tank of gas. So if you measure yours at 1/4 tank and I measure mine at 1/4 tank Justice Pete can talk to both of us...

If you have confidence in your data, and know how much gas you put in the car, and know how much a gallon of gas weighs you can calculate your spring rates without buying an $800 tool.

BTW, how much do you want for those springs after they come off the car? You have a PM, I am not kidding.
With 4 gallons of gas in the car the rear sits at 616mm's. With a full tank it sits at 606 driver and 610 pass.

There is nothing wrong with the install as I can tell. The bushings are in there sung with no gaps between the metal. All the bolts are torqued to spec. With the much bigger top bushing it would make sense for the rear to lift some IMO.

All I know is I've done a few drag bag installs. Every car but mine I was able to pull the springs off by myself or with a helper. My springs could not be pulled off by hand. With a full tank of gas it sits almost as low as it did when it was stock. I guess I'll just order 1/2" drop rear springs with a 10mm spacer to help bring it back up, that sould about give me stock ride height and maybe not have to worry about rubbing.

Either way I'm going to have to yet spend more money on either another set of new springs or bushings to get the height I want.

·
06 m6
164 Posts
Unknown said:
With 4 gallons of gas in the car the rear sits at 616mm's. With a full tank it sits at 606 driver and 610 pass.

There is nothing wrong with the install as I can tell. The bushings are in there sung with no gaps between the metal. All the bolts are torqued to spec. With the much bigger top bushing it would make sense for the rear to lift some IMO.

All I know is I've done a few drag bag installs. Every car but mine I was able to pull the springs off by myself or with a helper. My springs could not be pulled off by hand. With a full tank of gas it sits almost as low as it did when it was stock. I guess I'll just order 1/2" drop rear springs with a 10mm spacer to help bring it back up, that sould about give me stock ride height and maybe not have to worry about rubbing.

Either way I'm going to have to yet spend more money on either another set of new springs or bushings to get the height I want.
If you have rubbing I know what you need to do, trade me your wheels for my 17" stockers:) they look nice on the gto them and the beyern 5 (with or with out the scooter stick) crome. will go use my brothers cam. to get some pics. of the new ride hight with my 0 drops. I'll post back later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts