LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the SW long tubes yesterday, with no cats. With the stock cat back the sound is awesome. Basically the stock burble has been increased by a scale of at least 4-5 times. This is the exact sound I was looking for, so no cat-back replacement for me, thanks.

As for the headers... real nice parts, PITA to install. The passenger side dropped in easy from the top after removing the coil packs. The driver's side... eh. Had to disconnect the power steering lines, drop the rack, and get a few people to help fit it all together again with the header. The power steering goes through the header tubes... makes for fun installation.

Woulda taken only 3-4 hours, but the O2 sensors stripped out when removing them from the stock pipes (no visible antiseize on them from the factory, nice). I had to solder in 4" of wire on each front O2, as SW didn't include extensions, and the rear ones plugged in with no mods. Then we had to trial fit the driver side header, then remove it to tweak one tube a bit where it almost touched the steering rack. Ended up over 6 hours on the lift. Luckily the sound is worth it.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Cool, i'm gonna have to reconsider my "do it yourself" idea on the SW headers. I had the SW guys do the catback which was worth it IMO. I was considering saving some bucks by trying the headers, but i can see how that becomes a PITA job.

I bet the sound is heavenly, enjoy :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have that same exhaust setup too and I also love the sound of it. It may sound different than your's due to my heads and cam though. Any idea what kind of hp gains you've got?

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No idea. I should have done a baseline on the car but I had the parts and no patience...

I have HP Tuner due in next week, as well as a K&N Aircharger. I'll install both, tweak things a bit, and head to the local dyno for some tuning.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Next time you're under the car, stand at the front and look back under the car. Note the difference in pipe diameter at the flange between the SW system and the stock cat-back. I did and noticed a BIG area for improvement.

I'm buying a cat-back ASAP.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Next time you're under the car, stand at the front and look back under the car. Note the difference in pipe diameter at the flange between the SW system and the stock cat-back. I did and noticed a BIG area for improvement.

I'm buying a cat-back ASAP.
which one are you going with Lane?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts