LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cliff notes: 12.579 @ 109.60 w/ 1.847 60-foot, (8.089 @ 87.75 1/8th), on my street tires (19" TSW Thruxton rims with Toyo Proxies).

So... I find out that a nearby 1/4-mile track has Tuesday night Test and Tune.

:cool:

I am *so* there. Slow summer, all that, and I'm kind of busy on the weekends. It's actually easier and closer to get to than the 1/4 tracks in Georgia. So I find myself at the Alabama International Dragway. Tuesday nights are looking good for the next year. Might have to rearrange my schedule. :secret: Sweet Home Alabama. :)

GPS tells me 580 feet. Weather is about 80F with 60 humidity.

So, since this is Test and Tune, I decide I'm going to actually do some testing and tuning.

First run, no changes: 12.863 @ 109.01, 1.948. Not bad. About what I expected on street tires.

I do a little tweaking on the torque management with my HP Tuners.

Second run: 12.625 @ 109.46, 1.860. Hmmm.

Some more tweaking.

Third run: 12.579 @ 109.60, 1.847, (8.089 @ 87.75 1/8th).

Not too shabby. This tells me that if I actually learn how to drive with drag radials, I'll do even better, since I was within a tenth on the 60's of what I was running on the Nittos.

I did some more runs, but they were embarrassing. Went sideways on the launch, then went sideways at the 60', then went sideways on the 1-2. Rule of thumb for drag-racing: if you go sideways, just give it up. That's what I did. A fellow had warned me to get my runs in early, and I think it had something to do with track prep and all the guys on slicks getting water all over the track.

I got some datalogs on my HP Tuner and noticed some KR. Should be interesting to review.

All in all, a good night.

Catch me if you can. :)

Padre

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gtodoug said:
Awsome runs Padre. What is your highest trap speed?
You know how a song gets stuck in your head? Remember the old Beatles song, Revolution 9? "Number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9..."

Well, that's my trap speed: 109, 109, 109, 109, 109, 109... Seriously, I've got like 6 timeslips with 109, even one 13-second one. With and without drag radials. :banghead: :)

Padre

·
Registered
206 Posts
PadreGTO said:
You know how a song gets stuck in your head? Remember the old Beatles song, Revolution 9? "Number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9..."

Well, that's my trap speed: 109, 109, 109, 109, 109, 109... Seriously, I've got like 6 timeslips with 109, even one 13-second one. With and without drag radials. :banghead: :)

Padre

Very nice again, good to see the car hit the same lick over and over. Now lets get this over with bring it by for the nitrous hit so you can see the 11's. :)

MDMC

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I was reading that motor trend article and I thought I remembered them saying that they have a 450hp package. I assume that is crank hp. It mentions that trap speeds were like 113 or 114mph. I was just wondering how it made so much? To do that type of mph he would need to be putting that to the ground with a good driver and at around 4000lbs right?

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
gtodoug said:
I was reading that motor trend article and I thought I remembered them saying that they have a 450hp package. I assume that is crank hp. It mentions that trap speeds were like 113 or 114mph. I was just wondering how it made so much? To do that type of mph he would need to be putting that to the ground with a good driver and at around 4000lbs right?
I weigh in at under 3800. MDMC has an M6 putting down 430hp to the wheels that runs those same traps (113). A4s like mine with a higher-stall converter (2800 rpm) slip a little more, so I put down close to 400. Of course, all these numbers are dead-of-summer hot-muggy Georgia weather. Wait till October and I'm sure I'll be running 113+ :).

Of course, by then, I probably will have done a few little extra things to the car. :secret: :drink:

Padre

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
PadreGTO said:
I weigh in at under 3800. MDMC has an M6 putting down 430hp to the wheels that runs those same traps (113). A4s like mine with a higher-stall converter (2800 rpm) slip a little more, so I put down close to 400. Of course, all these numbers are dead-of-summer hot-muggy Georgia weather. Wait till October and I'm sure I'll be running 113+ :).

Of course, by then, I probably will have done a few little extra things to the car. :secret: :drink:

Padre
Oorah Padre! :hail:

·
Registered
206 Posts
gtodoug said:

To answer your question I think their times might have been done with Motor Trend timeing equipment and not at the drag strip "But I could be wrong", which always seems to net a higher MPH from what we have seen. Another item its the car did have a set or 3.91 's in the rear and it was a six speed. I am not sure with that HP how the MPH was so high but give ED a call at Lingenfelter I am sure he can clear it up just he is a great guy.

Regards
MDMC

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Thanks optic, that makes sense. I think I remember seeing a motortrend article with a stock goat pulling 104-105mph times. That clears up alot. I would ultimatley like to get my car to that level. Just a matter of time now.

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
PadreGTO said:
So, since this is Test and Tune, I decide I'm going to actually do some testing and tuning.

First run, no changes: 12.863 @ 109.01, 1.948. Not bad. About what I expected on street tires.

I do a little tweaking on the torque management with my HP Tuners.

Second run: 12.625 @ 109.46, 1.860. Hmmm.

Some more tweaking.

Third run: 12.579 @ 109.60, 1.847, (8.089 @ 87.75 1/8th).

Not too shabby. This tells me that if I actually learn how to drive with drag radials, I'll do even better, since I was within a tenth on the 60's of what I was running on the Nittos.

I did some more runs, but they were embarrassing. Went sideways on the launch, then went sideways at the 60', then went sideways on the 1-2. Rule of thumb for drag-racing: if you go sideways, just give it up. That's what I did. A fellow had warned me to get my runs in early, and I think it had something to do with track prep and all the guys on slicks getting water all over the track.

I got some datalogs on my HP Tuner and noticed some KR. Should be interesting to review.

All in all, a good night.
Sounds like a blast, Padre. I really need to drag my butt back to the track and see if I can improve upon my best before installing a new turbo :).

PadreGTO said:
Catch me if you can. :)
Pfft. I don't have to worry about that. Yet ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
gtodoug said:
Thanks optic, that makes sense. I think I remember seeing a motortrend article with a stock goat pulling 104-105mph times. That clears up alot. I would ultimatley like to get my car to that level. Just a matter of time now.
GTODOUG Yes it always seems that Motor Trend has a higher mph for their cars tested, if you look at the same cars in Road and Track and other mags they are for the most part lower.
I guess you and your boss with see what the goat does with SLP's package on when you get it to the track, we are interested in the RWHP numbers when you get them because for the most part we havent seen anything from our compition on paper, Except that 11's Nitrous breathing Beast from BMR. We cant wait to see all the new packages out and people have fun beating their cars at the track, thats what is all about. :)

Reagrds
Optic
MDMC

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Optic, I'll let you know the minute we leave from the dyno. They started pulling down the car this morning. I'm bring the digicam to work so maybe I can snap some pics for you guys. Oh, optic did I mention how sick that black gto on spray was? What kind of wheels were those and what type of exhaust? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
SWEET, VERY SWEET Padre!!! :drink: :hail:

·
Registered
206 Posts
gtodoug said:
Optic, I'll let you know the minute we leave from the dyno. They started pulling down the car this morning. I'm bring the digicam to work so maybe I can snap some pics for you guys. Oh, optic did I mention how sick that black gto on spray was? What kind of wheels were those and what type of exhaust? Thanks in advance.
The rims were torque thrust 2 and the exhaust is borla we like the borla exhaust due to sound, flow and no bends like the stock exhaust and other brands. The low 11 pass was with the 75 shot of spray and a 1.88 60 foot we have put the 150 shot on it now so we will pick another hot day to do the beating with the slick on the back all we are trying to do is break something before we throw the 455 sitting at the shop under the hood. Have a good weekend guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts