LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I did a number on my paint today. I applied wax to the car and when taking the dried wax off, it left wax marks everywhere. I looks ok from a distance but when getting close to it, it looks like I never removed the dried wax. No matter how hard I try rubbing, these marks do not come off. Is there something I can do, or do I have to take it to a body shop to be fixed?

Thanks,
Allen
Swirl Red GTO

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Probably should have it professionally buffed out (don't buy one of those Wal-Mart buffers, you need someone with a PC7424 or bigger, plus the right 3M compounds to try to get the swirls out w/o running out of paint).

Suggest you invest in some microfiber towels, and look at products like Zaino, Souveran, Blackfire, et. al. and avoid wax...

--Robert

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
phobos512 said:
What do you mean, "wax marks"? What sort of wax were you using?

When you look at the paint closely, there is a haze that matches the swirls from when I applied the wax.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Washing the car using Dawn detergent should remove all of the old wax products. Then I suggest a follow-up with a claybar and Zanio products. I have had wonderful results with the Zanio line. The Z2 product will fill existing swirl marks, and then you can follow that with the Z5 polish.

You won't be sorry :D

·
Registered
523 Posts
Huntress said:
Washing the car using Dawn detergent should remove all of the old wax products. Then I suggest a follow-up with a claybar and Zanio products. I have had wonderful results with the Zanio line. The Z2 product will fill existing swirl marks, and then you can follow that with the Z5 polish.

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hail:

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Zaino

Huntress said:
The Z2 product will fill existing swirl marks, and then you can follow that with the Z5 polish.
Actually, it's the other way around (Z-5 is the swirl-mark remover, Z-2 is the high gloss polish).

Frankly, I've never been that impressed with Z-5, though the reformulation that Sal did last year did improve the product significantly. If I have bad swirls, I'll use my Milwaukee polisher with some 3M swirl mark remover (comes in dark and light varieties, depending upon the color of your car's paint) before applying Z-5.

Sounds like the original problem came due to improper application of wax, either by using cheap or not clean towels, or by pressing too hard. Something you're not supposed to ever do is rub in a circle, but linear - front to back on the flat surfaces of the car, vertically on the side surfaces. You can find out more detail on how to wash and prep your car here:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/autopia/

Again, I don't use cotton towels or regular wax, because I find Zaino and comparable products to be far superior in ease of application, longevitity, and, most importantly, in results.

Hope this helps,

--Robert

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
You are correct I had them switched.

I've had good results removing the swirls with the Z5... and yes the trick is not to apply in swirling motions, but linear as you state.

I have however had good results with cotten towels, however these are the high end towels, those which cost $20 for a hand towel. Plush and soft.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I also did the Dawn, claybar and Z5 (With Z6 in between) and had great results. It does take a lot if time at first but pays future dividends.
:drink::drink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Huntress said:

I washed the car with dawn today and removed all the swirl marks from the wax. Thanks a lot! :hail: There still seems to be a light haze when you look close at the paint in the sun. I ordered the products from Zanio. I hope to get the Torrid Red back again.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
3M actually makes a swirl mark remover...FYI!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts