LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
YOUNG ONE!
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, how does tropi-cares swirl remover compare to Zaino? I've got some light swirls showin up on the PBM, VERY ANNOYING, and wantin to get rid of em. Also, any other brands that are good for swirls? Love tropi-care polish, so just wanted to check

·
YOUNG ONE!
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
can i use that stuff without a polisher? I dont have one

·
YOUNG ONE!
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
btw, i can only see the swirls in the sun from certain angles, so i dont think they are too bad. So what hand applied products can i use?

·
YOUNG ONE!
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so, can i use this stuff then use tropi-care polish on top

·
485, 432 rw m6
536 Posts
The part # for 3-m hand glaze is 5990, get it at a real parts store-not auto zone. The stuff works good. It is a work out. Do small areas at a time Apply and keep hand buffing til done. Micro fiber ONLY.

·
Site Sponsor
515 Posts
Tropi-care was designed to be used with the Porter Cable or by hand. Working by hand is a much more intensive job, but it can be done. Work a small area at a time and wipe off the excess Swirl Cutter when finished. When you are done top coat with TC-3xP Polish for that deep finsh look.

Good Luck!

·
05' CGM GTO
3,548 Posts
its black my friend. Its inevidable its gonna have swirls. A wax after every wash helps the swirls on black. Avoid all lazy man car washes and when i had black i always tried to just used high pressure soap high pressure rinse when washing. The only time i used a brush with my black was when it was really really really dirty. If its fairly clean when you goto wash it, try the high pressure soap high pressure rinse and use quick detail spray to dry the car with. This will stop brush swirls from appearing but you have to be a little more cautious as your car is not quite as clean when you got wipe it. So make sure you spray heavy with the detail spray while the car is still somewhat wet. Follow up with a wax every 2 washes and it will minimize the sight of swirls. Also with black, the dirtier the car is the more swirls that show up most of them come out with wax if your looking at a dirty car.
a professional detailer is your best option if your swirls are really bad but dont just trust anyone or they will leave much much worse looking almost "hazy" swirls down the side of your car in sunlight. Definatly investigate on the best detailer at cleaning black in your area and never ever ever ever let a dealer touch your black paint with a buffer or you will regret it.

As far as the swirl remover goes, I never tried it but ive read some bad reviews on it. Thats why i never tried it. If your gonna attempt it, Try a small area first thats not to noticable.

The nxt generation wax did an awesome job at 'hiding' swirl marks, but they came back after it got wet again. My best results were having it detailed and removed 95% of swirls, then being 10x more cautious about whats going to bring mroe back. Needless to say. I never used an automatic car wash or a brush on my car again. like i said though. Be very careful as if you let the car dry and dont use alot of spray its not as clean as using a brush, so it will be more prone to spreading dirt and therefore creating more swirls. avoid touching your paint alltogehter as much as possible unless it involves wax and a microfiber towel (dont use regular towels on black for any type of wipe) sorry but it really sucks and no matter what you do your gonna be completely swirled out in a few years. have detailed twice a year to minimize it. and after all this, you may jsut hate black enough to not buy it again. Me on the other hand, I almost miss the dedication in keeping a black paintjob clean. My color now is no fun to clean, it always looks clean. At least black you can tell when its real clean.

·
1 of 262
10,335 Posts
If your car is a daily driver, the swirls will return... It's a losing battle for all except garage queens.

·
Knowledge for Greater Good
184 Posts
longhornbsbll15 said:
Hey, how does tropi-cares swirl remover compare to Zaino? I've got some light swirls showin up on the PBM, VERY ANNOYING, and wantin to get rid of em. Also, any other brands that are good for swirls? Love tropi-care polish, so just wanted to check
I would suggest using the forum located at http://meguiarsonline.com/.

Depending on the severity of the swirls, I start with a less aggressive product like Meguiar’s Professional Line M80 using a W-8006 softbuff foam polishing pad. I label the pad M80 using a sharpie to avoid cross contamination with other products.

If M80 does not remove all of the swirls, I move to a more aggressive product like Meguiar’s Professional Line M83 using a different W-8006 softbuff foam polishing pad that I label M83 to avoid cross contamination. I then follow it with M80 using the pad labeled M80. I apply a thin circular bead of M80 or M83 on each of the pads and use a Meguiar’s G-100 (Porter Cable) Dual Action Polisher using a setting of 5 and apply 15 pounds of pressure.

It is important to slowly work a small area at a time and stop while M80 or M83 product is still wet. Do not let M80 or M83 dry on the vehicle. You must immediately remove the remaining wet product using a microfiber towel.

·
RIP Jack of Hearts & Tootsie
7,563 Posts
longhornbsbll15 said:
so, can i use this stuff then use tropi-care polish on top
Yep. follow deepbluez advice , that stuff will work fine even without the porter cable and then you can use the tropi-care. Personally the porter cable was one of the best investments I made, takes a ton of work away from all that labor intensive steps also.

·
YOUNG ONE!
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, so i ordered some 3M Perfect-It II Foam Polishing Pad Glaze - Dark http://www.autogeek.net/3mperswirmar.html , which says that it can be applied by hand.....which i think have to do. I do have a "orbital polisher", but its a kind of cheap one that my step dad bought me for x-mas (he tries....). It is a Waxmaster RA7000, i know sounds great huh, lol, here is the link http://buyessex.stores.yahoo.net/wachraorwapo.html. Anyways, do you guys think i would be able to use this thing to apply this stuff? What type of bonnets would i need to apply it and remove it? It has a grey foam pad as its base and it can be removed with a bolt that is embedded under it. So i dont know if they make new pads for it or not. But any help would be wonderful! Otherwise will i be able to apply that 3m stuff by hand(just to the bad places not the whole car)?

·
1967 Firebird HO Conv. M3
176 Posts
I thought I had swirls in my paint, but I recently found out they are not swirls in the paint. They ended up being swirls in my wax. When I did a dawn wash I checked my finish and the swirls were all gone and thought WTF?

The only explanation I could come up with is that the swirls were in the wax layer, not my paint.

I only use #7 show car glaze topped with a pure carnauba.

·
YOUNG ONE!
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well hopefully thats my incident, all i know is that they aren't really bad so i hope a good wash and polish will cure all!

·
YOUNG ONE!
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you think that the regular polishing pads would work on that waxer?

·
YOUNG ONE!
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i guess ill get a foam pad and use it with mine and see if it works. Any specific pad (not brand) you would recommend for light swirls?

·
YOUNG ONE!
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DeepBlueZ said:
I'd try a normal polishing pad first. You MAY need a light cutting pad depending on how light the swirls are, but it's always best to start with the least aggressive pad that will accomplish whatever you're trying to do.

something along the lines of the green pad in this kit (these are my pad of choice, read the descriptions.)

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-daspad-kit.html
so with this kit i would use the green for swirls, then the blue to apply polish, then a bonnet on top of the blue to remove polish?

·
YOUNG ONE!
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sleepy said:
The part # for 3-m hand glaze is 5990, get it at a real parts store-not auto zone. The stuff works good. It is a work out. Do small areas at a time Apply and keep hand buffing til done. Micro fiber ONLY.

why is this hand glaze any different that say tropi-care tc3 polish? and is this the best stuff for applying by hand to remove small swirls?

·
485, 432 rw m6
536 Posts
Just using what my body shop said is the best. No real experience with all the other products. I had lip spoiler installed and the trunk lid was repainted and I swirilled it pretty badly using 100% American cotton towels washing it. I went to see him about my new hood and he saw the trunk lid and told me to use 3-m and microfiber only. Worked for me.:)

·
YOUNG ONE!
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you used the hand glaze?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts