LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the drivers side oil drain routed.

I'm having touble identifying an ideal location (given the fact I want to route the downpipe behind the manifold).

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'll see if I can get Rick to explain it. My car is back at his shop for valve springs and a few other things. The stupid thing is I didn't even bother to look during the two weeks I had it back.

·
Banned
840 Posts
You should be able to run the drain in the standard fashion as shown in this picture with the drain running alongside the engine mount (where it uses the metal insert piece) and then back into the sump. Hope this helps -

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply orion4096.

Street Tuner said:
You should be able to run the drain in the standard fashion as shown in this picture with the drain running alongside the engine mount (where it uses the metal insert piece) and then back into the sump. Hope this helps -
Thanks for the pic, but I don't think the oil drain can go in that position with the downpipe routed behind the manifold (like this) http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101266&highlight=downpipe.

It may still clear, though (I was trying to do the drain before the downpipe). I initial thought I would just move the drain forward and put it right near the engine mount, but the hose does not seem to happy about making that turn.

I was thinking about a spot on the front of the pan. Do you foresee any problems with that?

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
6,217 Posts
I belive the front of the pan has some sort of a baffle. I remember because I dropped a screw in to the oil pan when doing a cam swap and it didnt fall all the wa to the bottom. It landed on this baffle that ran across the front of the pan.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh4GTO said:
I belive the front of the pan has some sort of a baffle. I remember because I dropped a screw in to the oil pan when doing a cam swap and it didnt fall all the wa to the bottom. It landed on this baffle that ran across the front of the pan.
That is the windage tray. The drain has to be above that for sure (and as high as possible). I will pull the pan again (for the 5th time) before I do any drilling.

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
6,217 Posts
Windage tray........it was late and I couldnt think of it. I say you have about 1.5 - 2 inches from the top lip on the pan to the windage tray. I remember it took my whole middle finger to reach it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts