LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum, being from New Zealand. I own an 2004 Red HSV Clubsport M6, and have been happy with it apart from the OEM shifter which is a bit rubbery for my liking.
Have you guys hassled the companies that produce the B&M Ripper, the Hurst Billet, Pro 5.0 to produce replacement shifters for the GTO.
Reason being, if it fits your GTO, it will fit our Holdens and HSV's.
There is a company in Australia that produces a direct acting shifter, GM Motorsport (no relationship to General Motors). This shifter gets good reviews although it's not cheap. AUS$800.
There are also makers of short throw shifters much like the OEM shifter, but shorter throw. These are no good, they are even harder to shift than the OEM.
So - if enough presure were brought to bear to produce a shifter for the 2004 Pontiac GTO, we'd all be happy!:)

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I'm sure the shifter companies are on the ball. I know for a fact Hurst is working on it and i'm sure the others will follow. OE shifter is OK but i would really like something less cushioned. I want metal on metal feel, short throw, precise, and a choice of shift knob.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pro 5.0

Adam4356 said:
I'm sure the shifter companies are on the ball. I know for a fact Hurst is working on it and i'm sure the others will follow. OE shifter is OK but i would really like something less cushioned. I want metal on metal feel, short throw, precise, and a choice of shift knob.
A prototype Pro 5.0 shifter should be complete by the end of the month. Afterthoughtsauto.com will be begin stocking them as soon as the production orders are released.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Why would any shifter for a T-56 not work. There are already a lot of them out there for other cars. What's different?

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
It is really getting frustrating with this left hand-right hand thing that our GTO's have with the Australian Monaros. I have been wanting parts that could only be found on HSV and Monaro aftermarket websites but won't fit the GTO. So what makes you think our aftermarket parts will fit yours? I wish they were all on the same side.

·
Registered
210 Posts
JayStew said:
Why would any shifter for a T-56 not work. There are already a lot of them out there for other cars. What's different?
Here's a pic of the stock shifter. Different than the Vette & Camaro stuff. :banghead:

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Thanks for the pic Walker. I see the difference now. Hopefully Pro5.0's shifter will be out soon. I will give it a try. Mine is just too clunky.

I hate to say it, but I wish it shifted like my bro-in-laws Stang. It is very smooth and precise...stock. But that's the only thing I lke better :punch:

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
desertgoat said:
It is really getting frustrating with this left hand-right hand thing that our GTO's have with the Australian Monaros. I have been wanting parts that could only be found on HSV and Monaro aftermarket websites but won't fit the GTO. So what makes you think our aftermarket parts will fit yours? I wish they were all on the same side.
What doesn't fit on the GTO that does on the monaro? Their is a shifter in australia called "ripshift" used in list of 10 second LS1 holdens that can be used in a GTO.

Its sold by GM motorsport (not in relation to general motors) what I like about the shifter they have a spring like action between 2-3 gear changes. :burnout:

Hurst is working with a member of this forum as a test car for a shifter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As soon as the Pro5.0 shifter completes, we will be installing in conjunction with a Lou's Short stick. The shifters slated for Jason F's (Sewell Pontiac) car here in Dallas, where I can also do a tech article for HPP magazine. Another parameter that I would like to explore is what it would take to get the stock shift handle onto the Pro5.0/LSS. Any help the board members can give me in preparing for the install would be appreciated. If specialty machining is needed on the Pro 5.0/LSS stick itself to get the stock handle to fit, please give me a clue so I can prepare my machine shop and/or make sure Pro5.0 covers the bases?

R. Allen

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
problem your going to run into is the stock shifter knob is retained on the shaft by tabs on the knob, its not screwed on.

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
I guess the big manufacturers just don't want to take our money. They sure like to hear us ask about there products but they just don't want to make the effort to cash in.

·
MAX-M6/LS1
223 Posts
Tell me about it. I have called and emailed every one I can think of. Still I dont have a set of headers or a catback system. The most famous line to date is "It's going to be out in five week), I know I have heard that fifty times now.

·
...and former GTO owner.
841 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
In reference to the stock knob being retained by tabs on the knob, does anyone think that it would be possible to machine a standard shift knob like the Pro5 or Lou's Short stick screw on part to be able to accept the tabs? If the diameter of the stock knob is bigger than the standard screw on shift knobs, it shouldn't be hard to manufacture a collar to screw onto the standard shift knob and have grooves cut for the tabs? Help folks as I am sure somebody in the community wants to retain the stock shift knob?

·
Registered
4 Posts
T56 Shifter

I live the other side of the world to you and I have fitted a GM Motorsport Rip Shifter to my HSV . GTS-R .
The gearchange is awesome and very quick and precise.
Holden/GM/ need to look at this piece of kit because the engineering is 1st class and the fitting is very easy.
Works perfect for our trackdays along with the conjestion we enjoy!!!! on our roads

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Hey pomona,

That's a very unique handle for a guy who lives in the UK. I was actually born and raised in the city of Pomona in Southern California.

The GM Motosport website is very weak and the number they supplied does not seem to work. It starts with 0418 and I could not dial this thing even after punching in 011-61 first which is the country code for Australia. I even tried using the international call operator but she still could not connect. I have been having problems connecting to any of the Australian numbers because they are mostly cell phone numbers.

Can you give us a little more detail on how you purchased the RipShifter and the install process?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
yes i agree. the website stinks. its hard to navigate and doesn't give that much information. it like a crappy ebay description.
i really dont like the handle from the pics that i have seen. i want something that will retain stock look, or atleast wont look TOO "out of place". in other words, i want it to fit the styling of the GTO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Desert Goat,
Pomona comes from the name of my residence and we also have a dry dock in Liverpool called Pomona Dry Docks.
Rip Shifter-----telephone number I have is 0418 562057 for Oz plus your Int.code.Remove the 0 in front of 4. I have spoken to them so I know this number is ok.I have a spec sheet on installation and set up plus a single page advert.
Also your standard gearshift knob fits along with the original boot cover.If you never mentioned that a Rip Shift was fitted I doubt anyone would notice,until they drive the car.
The spec is of 10 pages so if interested I will email them to you.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts