LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Shagankatank
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so i rebuilt the transmission and motor. I put in a ls7 clutch with the factory slave cylinder per scoogin dickeys instruction. The clutch feels super soft (i had a monster stage 3 for years so i might just be used to that) but it engages closer to the top so i figure its probably good since the other gears are shifting happy.

It shifted into reverse a handful of times and it was fine. No grinding or anything. But after i took it for a spin for the first time, i got back and now it grinds when i try to release the clutch and im not sure what to think.

I know im gonna catch some flak for this part but in the picture are 2 shims that came off the end of the mainshaft around where reverse gear rides. I bought 3 manuals and watched every disassembly video i could find and nothing showed these shims. Im 1000% confident they arent bearing shims since they fit the mainshaft perfectly and are too small for the tailshaft bearing. I even emailed hawks and they tried to tell me bearing shims and when i said they werent they ghosted me. Point is i have no idea where they are supposed to go and the spacing never seemed right where i tried to put them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
First, I'm no transmission expert. I do all of my own work and hate not finding an answer, so maybe some of this will help;
In your picture, those look like countershaft shims, based on comparing yours to other pics and rebuild kits, like this one: Autoblog Maintenance 301: Transmission R&R, Part IV ...specifically the 6th picture in that write up.

Also, googling 'no reverse' finds several forum posts like this one, which has enough solid information that it might be useful.

Good luck!

·
Shagankatank
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. That bearing race never came out of the tailshaft and i can see the shims are still in there.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Don't recall seeing those when I did my T56 rebuild. Did you not document every step when taking apart the trans? You could possibly try reaching out to Jason Bailey at Texas Drivetrain. That guy knows T56s like no one else.
You should still try bleeding the clutch first though. I found when I had clutch slave issues in mine that it was worst in 1st and reverse.

·
Shagankatank
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had pictures of everything i took apart which is why this is driving me crazy. Its possible i didnt bleed the cluth well enough so ill have to give that another try. Thanks man

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I once considered a rebuild so in the research I did I learned that shims are needed when replacing the bearings. I asked my builder what amount of end play he sets the case to and to that he said, I go by feel. I was super skeptical but then again he has some nice cars in the queue and has been in biz for years and gave a year warranty . On initial drive I felt what seemed like the whole assembly shift in the case on a low gear deceleration. Happened initially two times and hasn’t done it again in 300 miles.
All that typed to say your end play should have been measured but doubt it’s your problem. If too much you’re gonna hear a while or kill bearings.I suspect your shift fork became undone somehow. Good thing probly is that you can pull the tail shaft housing in car and take a looksy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts