LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 speed, 1-7/8 ARH Headers, corsa sport catback, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. D/S, K&N intak
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question or rather a concensus of where a good place would be to send my GTO transmission to for a rebuild. It's got 84k on the clock and I have a monster clutch kit that I haven't installed yet. I bought that in the spring an didn't install yet. I had too many house projects. Anyway tick seems to be reputable and seems like a fair price. Any input would be appreciated. It's just a simple bolt on car btw.

·
Administrator
11,666 Posts
Something wrong with the trans?

·
Seriously?
2004 Pontiac GTO, LS1, 6 speed, Quicksilver/Black
2,583 Posts
Tick would most likely be my choice if I had to ship it to someone. I would of course look locally first which brings me to ask, is there no one local to you that is trustworthy?

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 speed, 1-7/8 ARH Headers, corsa sport catback, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. D/S, K&N intak
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing wrong with it. I just figured 2k factor in the shipping call it $2500. That's not bad. A while I'm at it type thing.

·
Seriously?
2004 Pontiac GTO, LS1, 6 speed, Quicksilver/Black
2,583 Posts
I’m gonna go on a limb and suggest the ages old motto here… if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Seriously, if there isn’t anything giving you any grief with it, put that money into something else that will be of a bigger and better benefit. Brakes, tires and suspension come to mind. However, I also know it is your car and money and you can do what you wish.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
26,107 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didn't realize it wouldn't be a ton more money for a whole new transmission. Something to think about for sure. I just figured the refresh wasn't bad, even though it doesn't need it. Maybe I'll just throw that clutch in, in the springtime and not worry about it. I just figured what the heck type thing.

But it is true. If it's not broke, which it isn't, then don't fix it. The other reason I was gonna send it out was due to the fact hand full of times it popped out of 1st. I think it did it like once or twice this year. An did it a couple last year. Wasn't sure if maybe the synchronizers might be bad? But maybe not. I know one thing the last drive in it, that clutch pedal grabbed way at the top of the pedal travel. That's for sure. Could be overthinking it...

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Popping out of first? I just wish I could get mine into first.

Not really, doesn't happen super often but it does piss me off when it decides to not let me shift into 1st. It's always when the light turns green and I'm not prepared.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
RPM transmissions are high on my list of folks who do solid rebuilds. I wish I would have gone that rout but at the time I wasn’t able to. They warranty their builds and usually only 500 to get an upgrade. Now if you ask me from what I went through with my t56. Go with a close ratio. The first gear was a damn near impossible to find because Tremec has stopped making them. It’s not a cheap change over but worth it in my opinion looking back at the hell I went through trying to source one.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have yet to install it. It is a hinson along with the clutch from monster. Neither installed yet.

49,600 Posts
Instead of rebuilding my T56 I purchased a new T56 Magnum. Yes, more expensive, but I sold my stock T56 that needed a rebuild to help offset the cost. For not much more money I got a much better transmission. One thing though is the ratios will be different than the T56. I'd you get the same 1st to 4th gears as the GTO the OD gears will be different. If memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had Tick do my transmission a few years ago. I was starting to lose the syncro for third gear, and had over 120K on the stock trans... They did a WONDERFUL job. I had the rebuild done with the idea to be the next level up from stock. It really shifts nice now, and yes, to me it feels better than new. Back then, it did take time for them to do the rebuild and get it back, but I am use to the "I rather have it fixed correctly than quickly".

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
26,107 Posts
Instead of rebuilding my T56 I purchased a new T56 Magnum. Yes, more expensive, but I sold my stock T56 that needed a rebuild to help offset the cost. For not much more money I got a much better transmission. One thing though is the ratios will be different than the T56. I'd you get the same 1st to 4th gears as the GTO the OD gears will be different. If memory serves me correctly.
They will be, but if you go through D&D Performance, you can get a .74 5th and a .5 6th, which will improve highway cruising a little bit. The factory ratios are .84 5th and .57 6th.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The reason I asked earlier what type of shifter you are using and not the one you were going to install, is because many aftermarket shifters have adjustment bolts. If the adjustment is too tight, the shifter can pop out of gear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts