LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new member here with a quick question. If you look at your tachometer. Right after the redline ends there is a small circle that looks like a light would be there. Mt question is whats the purpose of it. Is there supposed to be a shift light or something in there?

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
GTO2WISH4 said:
Hey guys new member here with a quick question. If you look at your tachometer. Right after the redline ends there is a small circle that looks like a light would be there. Mt question is whats the purpose of it. Is there supposed to be a shift light or something in there?
In australia on the monaro the light is a functioning shift light, for whateever reason it was disabled when they made the conversion to pontiac.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
And we all wait for a solution. The LED is there. It just does not work..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Now I wont go crazy trying to find out the purpose of the light.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
That's what we're working on!

No one has figured it out yet.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,663 Posts
Anybody try a TechII? If they can dim the MPH light, maybe they can turn on the shift light.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
It appears to be in the program. Or more accuratly, not in the program. It may take a tech 2 hack/ update to do it.. Hyper Tune and LS1Edit don't have the power...

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
I'm willing to bet it can be done with a Tech II, most likely a software issue. The question is, what version of the software will integrate the capability? If the light's there, it's just waiting to be activated.....

·
3Deucesanda5speedanda455
411 Posts
Why not use an MSD RPM trigger (for NOS etc) or gut a shift and directly wire the light to it?

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Tripower455 said:
Why not use an MSD RPM trigger (for NOS etc) or gut a shift and directly wire the light to it?
Money, It is there and should work for free if we can find the switch to turn it on..

NJTorque said:
I'm willing to bet it can be done with a Tech II, most likely a software issue. The question is, what version of the software will integrate the capability? If the light's there, it's just waiting to be activated.....
I'm 100% with you on that but the trick is getting the General to issue the Tech II update. Why wiould they? I'm sure they want to avoid "race" type mods and if it is an economy shift light then why would we want it? I had one of those in my LeMans and it just pissed me off. I want a shift light that works like my "Overspeed" indicator. I can set it for the shift point I want...(5400 RPM, thank you very much...)

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Ok for the milllllionth time ;), the MODULE that controls it was pulled before SOP for the 2004 model year. The control module isnt there hence theres nothing to program. The Monaro also does NOT recieve the same cluster as the GTO, hence they have no area for a shift light. I tagged one of the clusters from a pilot car and hope to have it soon since the lights worked in those cars. I'll see what I can do about re integrating the module.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
GTPprix said:
Ok for the milllllionth time ;), the MODULE that controls it was pulled before SOP for the 2004 model year. The control module isnt there hence theres nothing to program. The Monaro also does NOT recieve the same cluster as the GTO, hence they have no area for a shift light. I tagged one of the clusters from a pilot car and hope to have it soon since the lights worked in those cars. I'll see what I can do about re integrating the module.
Chris,
I told you a billion times not to exaggerate!!!
:drink::drink:

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Sorry Chris I had not seen that the module was among.

Tripower455, I guess there is no reason not to buy a shift light then..

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Sxty8, no reason to be sorry!! I'm just bein a dork!! (hence the smiley!) But seriously I'm trying to find any shred of help to get this rolling, I may invest some help in making an aftermarket light module that fits IN the IPC.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Someone had a self-made shift light that was really small. I forget all of the details but I believe he was out your way (MI) and made them as he felt the urge. People were installing them in their vents to hide them and they were user programable. I guess I should search the site and give you a link but I am lazy and need to start putting chips on the floor before the boss decides I've spent enough time on the computer today...

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Thats actually the person I'm going to talk to, his name is Matt Harlan of Harlan shift light (and turbo firehawk) fame. I think he would be our best bet at this point.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Yep, that is the guy... If he could turn them out on a regular basis I would have bought one last spring.. I just hate the idea of ordering something and have a 3 week to 4 month deliverly window. (may be an exageration)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
GTP, what the idea here... to make the existing light work or just to get a shift light? There are aftermarket shift lights so I'm assuming you really want the light in the dash to work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts