LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to share this with those of you who don't know about this little ***el of a drive running through the Cherokee and Natahala National Forrests just south of the Smokies. I discovered this little drive this year while on a visit to my uncle's house. He lives in Tennessee on Watts Bar lake in a little town roughly half way between Knoxville and Chattanooga. Earlier this year he told me about the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway. I did some research and found out it's popular with bike riders as well as drivers, and that folks travel from all over the eastern US to Tenn or NC just to enjoy the ride. So I decided next time down I would try to make time for it......I'm glad I did!

I drove both of these roads yesterday, and had an absolute blast. The Dragon is a tight test of a car's handling and driver's skill while the Skyway takes you over a mile high to look down on the valleys below. Awesome scenery coupled with some twisty turns, and straight runs where you can have fun with some quick sprints made for one hell of an experience. I'll be doing it again. Here's a few pix.....I picked up a C5 Vette on my tail after getting on the Skyway. We played for several miles before pulling onto a pull off. The first thing out of my mouth to him was man that was fun !! The first thing out of his was ..man that is the first GTO I've seen on the road and it is fast as hell !!! We shot the sh!t about the cars for a few mins and parted ways. Whatta blast. I would recommend this drive for anyone. It is a good 9.5 hours from my house in Yorktown, so it could not be a day trip for those of us in eastern and northern Va. Here's a link to the maps page of the Tail of the Dragon site...

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps.html

Attachments

·
Clean is good...
2,470 Posts
Those are some sweet pictures! Next time I head west, I'll make it a point to drive through there...and your goat looks perfect in the foreground!

Tom.

·
bolt-ons =11.52
1,660 Posts
i might be headed that way this weekend

·
Semper Gumby
496 Posts
I am glad you have fun Aramis!!! I wish I could drive that my self.

·
Blown By Maggie
2,443 Posts
I went up there a few years ago in my 350Z what a blast! 252 twists and turns in a 5 mile run. Fricken insane. They have a excellent lodge up there and even cabins to rent at Fontana Damn. The Smoky Mountians. We should try to put something together and get us Mid Atlantic guys to meet up with other Regional folks. When I went up with the 350Z guy there 400+ cars. It was a blast.

Check it out. Bunch of Car club pics from runs on the tail dragon.
http://killboy.com/

·
Registered
255 Posts
Its a major road trip for motorcyclists as well as car drivers.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yowzerman said:
Those are some sweet pictures! Next time I head west, I'll make it a point to drive through there...and your goat looks perfect in the foreground!

Tom.
Thanks Tom...I had a blast taking them. If you do get down there you will not be dissappointed.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mdmike said:
I went up there a few years ago in my 350Z what a blast! 252 twists and turns in a 5 mile run. Fricken insane. They have a excellent lodge up there and even cabins to rent at Fontana Damn. The Smoky Mountians. We should try to put something together and get us Mid Atlantic guys to meet up with other Regional folks. When I went up with the 350Z guy there 400+ cars. I was a blast.

Check it out. Bunch of Car club pics from runs on the tail dragon.
http://killboy.com/

The whole time I was running it, I was thinking about how cool it would be to have a line of goats on it. Maybe sometime in the next year we can organize this.

·
1,086 Posts

·
not driving if I'm posting
448 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice video nitrogirl. Thanks for sharing that. I'll be driving it again later this year on another visit to my uncle's house in Tenn. I would like to either take someone with me to video the run or figure a way to mount a camera.

That last scene in the video is the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort

http://www.dealsgap.com/

I stopped there on my cruise.....lots of T-shirts to buy.

·
Traded Power for Luxury
450 Posts
OMG

I had no idea how cool the tail of the dragon is. My wife and I went to Hayesville this past weekend for a family get together. My mother in law tells me that one of her friends told her that if I like driving, I might like this stretch of road near there called the "Tail of the Dragon"

I briefly remembered reading about it on this forum, so my brain went "ding, must drive that road"

All I can say is "WOW!" Saturday, my Uncle-in-Law and I got up to Deal's Gap (coming up from the south) and couldn't even pull in there were so many motorcycles. Sporty cars everywhere including a group of 6 or so Mustangs were parked across the street.

The GTO loved 318 turns in 11 miles. My wife accused me after of not directly answering the question of how fast we went on the Tail... I tried to explain that the question was relative because the speed limit was 30 mph but there were corners you could barely hang at 20.

I spent most of the road in second, speeding up, slowing down, hit third a few times but in reality, when I had straight aways where I could nail it, I was slowing down to let motorcycles by. Saw several just go ahead and pass on corners including one in the oncoming lane (some of those sport bike riders e insane).

It did go both ways tho... A line formed behind some dude on a Harley on a leisurely cruise; I could hear riders and drivers yelling at him to pull over. After a while and several motorcycles passing the me, other motorcycles, a Solstice and finally him, he got the hint and pulled off.

Then the Solstice was creeping away from me on the corners but had to work for it. Not much room for error on that road and a loooooong way down. Saw one crotch rocket that must have over shot a pull off and his front wheel dropped between the guardrail and oblivion; he was pulling his heart out trying to get it unstuck (other cyclists were on their way to help him)...

Spotted cars breakdown:
Mustangs (new body style) - 40(13)
Vettes - 8
Solstices - 3
WRX(Sti) - 4(2)
Porsche 911 - 1
Motorcycles - 500+
Other GTOs - 0

Waiting for http://killboy.com/ to post pictures for this last weekend

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wont tell you I told you so, but......... LOL In all seriousness, the drive is awesome. Next time you go that way hit the Cherohala Skyway. That drive is just as cool, and some of the straightaways are long enough to get up to 70-90 MPH. The twisties are not as tight as on the dragon, so you can you can hit some of them as fast as 30-40 MPH. Thats why I had so much fun playing with the C-5 Vette pictured my first post. But yea you are right....the dragon is worth the distance from where ever you live.

Glad you had fun and made it safe. There are some tight a$$ turns on that road fer sure.

I saw a bike rider who lost it on the Cherohala. We were approaching a turn, and saw a guy in his leathers walking around in a daze, coved in mud. We slowed down to see if he needed any help, but he said he was OK and help was on the way. His bike had left a heavy skid mark on the pavement going from the tangent of that turn, across the road, and into to the guard rail. The bike was broken in half. It was one heck of a wreck. Good thing for the guard rail because it was a 3500 foot drop on the other side it.

Anyhow I would recommend it to anyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts