LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of the a/c compressor bolts; looks like its out 1/2"

i just bought the car saturday, its used w/ 3000 miles...any guesses? anyone elses car like this? i think i'm going to just tighten it up

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
mike_ct said:
one of the a/c compressor bolts; looks like its out 1/2"

i just bought the car saturday, its used w/ 3000 miles...any guesses? anyone elses car like this? i think i'm going to just tighten it up

it looks like the head on it is worn a little too as if some one used the wrong size socket..........hmmm.....

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
It looks like someone removed or loosened the compressor up to get at something, then couldn't get it perfectly lined up so they just tightened it as much as they could.

The brackets that the A/C compressors (and alternators on many other serpentine frames) sit in can be very tight to get a new one back into and sometimes requires 'agressive persuasion' to get them in, then getting bolt holes lined up is the next hurdle.

It wouldn't surprise me that if you removed that bolt, the tip of the bolts' threads are stripped and wouldn't be surprised if the threads starting the hole are stripped too. This will require Helicoiling to fix.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Take it to the dealer. You still have the factory warranty on it if it has 3000 miles on it, even though you are not the original owner.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Speaking of AC, was anyone elses low on freon from the factory?

Mine didnt seem to be as cold as it should so I put it on the machine at work and it was a few OZs low. That is a considerable amount when the whole system holds just under two pounds.

I charged it up and it seems to be holding it. Just curious to see if anyone else's was low. Seems like a trick to save some cash at the factory.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: its tight; i turned it a bit, but its way to tight to try to get in all the way - i guess next time i'm on my lift for an oil change; i try to loosen them all up and get them all spun in....thanks for you help!

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I wonder if the wrong length bolt was installed there and another short bolt is in the longer one's hole. It'd be tight too, just not filling the hole all the way.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I can't help you on that issue. :p

Unless you'd like me to take "care" of your G/F for you. :D

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
GTOYACO said:
my girlfriend complains of the same thing...
I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear that. :sneaky:

·
Magic Blue Bottle
91 Posts
I would be very greatful if you took care of her...just make sure you weigh the body down this time...I don't need another washing ashore...

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
LOL!

I was referring to taking care of her another way though. ;) :D

Sorry, this is straying from the topic.

·
MAX-M6/LS1
223 Posts
Hey Now...............oh yeah....she likes it how? dam you don't say....she ever do it on a goat hood with a old goat?

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
04 LS1-MAN said:
Hey Now...............oh yeah....she likes it how? dam you don't say....she ever do it on a goat hood with a old goat?
You rang... suh? :gr_devil:

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
mike_ct said:
you guys are nuts!!
No, actually we're long "bolts" (to fill the holes up of course). :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts