LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I Arrrghhh Pi-RAT!
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so rolling down the highway, i see a brand spanking new Audi TT.... so i decide i MUST catch this car and show him why he just spent to much money on the wrong car.... should be an easy kill right!?

well, i catch him at a light, dude never even looks at me, roll away from the light in 3 just incase, and im not sure what the speed was exactly, but we had crossed the intersection i hear his TT spool and blow off valve give a slight woosh when he shifts... so i nail it ... yeah he got the jump on me... but i dont get a down shift.... nothing, the car just starts accelerating!!! so at this point i already give myself a small SON OF A BITCH!... anyhow, it was deffinatly a manual car, i could see and hear him shifting the whole way through... unfortunatly i am not sure if i reeled him back in or he let off...

at a certain point i catch him and pass him.... but already so pissed at myself and the car for not performing and i couldnt tell what exactly happened...

i was so mad i ran home and checked the specs on the damn cars because i figured i must have just bit off more than i could take in a stock a4 04... but every place i can find a number says that they are low 14 second cars in any form,.... so im really not sure why i had so much trouble, unless i managed to find the goats weak spot.....

im still not sure why i didnt get a kick down when i was in 3rd gear... i should have gotten at least 2nd i think....

ah well... just reminds me why i need a tune!!!

it makes me wonder if perhaps it was a combo of an un-tuned a4, and tq mgmt that might have kept me from getting that downshift...

YARGH!!!

IM Still embarrassed...

·
Banned
868 Posts
I was having the same problems...get a tune and it's a whole different beast. You could also manually shift your A4. That has won me several races that I would have lost.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Why would you keep it in 3 instead of 1 or even D? :confused: Maybe the car thought you really wanted to be in 3rd!

That stinks though. You really should've spanked him.:(

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
GTO4now said:
Why would you keep it in 3 instead of 1 or even D? :confused: Maybe the car thought you really wanted to be in 3rd!

That stinks though. You really should've spanked him.:(
I agree, I really don't understand why people drive around in 3rd.
I would definately stay away from 3rd if your going to run from a low speed roll. I don't use 3rd at all. I keep it in D if I'm racing from a dig. But if I'm expecting a low speed roll on race from say (5-30mph punch or so) I will manually put it in 1st gear a head of time.
Then right after the race starts and I get a good jump, I quickly shift it up to D and let the computer do the shifting the rest of the race (which works a lot better than trying to manually shift the gear myself). The computer does it much faster and smoother. But getting the car to start out the race in 1st gear is a must from a low speed roll.

I beaten some fast cars with this method from low speed rolls.

·
Ho's b4 Bro's
2,148 Posts
I doubt it was 3rd gear, more likely you got caught in the second gear dead spot which is the A4's achilles heel. A tune can change the downshift points for more agressive driving.

·
GM Parts Guy Will this fix it
1,102 Posts
M6 :gears: :stickpoke Of course I did lose to a Honda last Friday from a missed 2-3ed shift.

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
Question for you A4 "guys", say you left it in first would the tranny shift anyway once it gets to the limiter?

ROK

·
I Arrrghhh Pi-RAT!
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol kyle, i found that out the hard way too... on a GTP it will... on the goat... still wont no matter how many times you think it will..

the reason i had it in 3 instead of D was strictly to keep it from going into OD... normaly in 3 you still get a nice solid kick down and it tears off like you seared the goats ass with a branding iron... but yeah, im thinking maybe i didnt notice the kick down and i got stuck in a bad spot in 2nd.....

which is why in the end im wondering if he shut down, or i chased him down...

I WANT A REMATCH DAMN IT!!! hehehe

good news is... while filling up the goat with gas, i ran into a miata convert... it well, died horribly.....

so thats kind of like redeeming myself isnt it!!

BLAAAAHHH

tune soon... cant wait... begining of next week..

·
this ->pimpstatus(10);
1,113 Posts
That happened to me against a CTS-V Nothing a good tune can fix.

·
Incognito
1,433 Posts
I owned a TT before my Goat, and they can be quite fast. There are two versions, a 180 hp, and 225 hp, both with the 1.8T. 225s with chip and exhaust average right around 280-290 to the crank, running 22 psi. Now you have to factor in the turbo upgrades available from a company called APR out of Alabama, widely accepted as the premier Audi tuner. There is a 250 hp V6 version with available with a Formula one style DSG gear box, that are slightly faster than the 225 is stock.

Stage III+ Kit for the 180 with VVT- 340 Crank HP
Stage III+ Kit for the 225 non-VVT- 390 Crank HP

All this in a car weighing about 3000-3200 lbs with all wheel drive. 225s stock run around 6 seconds 0-60, and you can launch the hell out of them with the AWD like and Evo.
This was mine until some 19 year old kid totalled it in a high speed accident 1 week after he bought it.

·
06 m6
164 Posts
John Doe said:
I owned a TT before my Goat, and they can be quite fast. There are two versions, a 180 hp, and 225 hp, both with the 1.8T. 225s with chip and exhaust average right around 280-290 to the crank, running 22 psi. Now you have to factor in the turbo upgrades available from a company called APR out of Alabama, widely accepted as the premier Audi tuner. There is a 250 hp V6 version with available with a Formula one style DSG gear box, that are slightly faster than the 225 is stock.

Stage III+ Kit for the 180 with VVT- 340 Crank HP
Stage III+ Kit for the 225 non-VVT- 390 Crank HP

All this in a car weighing about 3000-3200 lbs with all wheel drive. 225s stock run around 6 seconds 0-60, and you can launch the hell out of them with the AWD like and Evo.
This was mine until some 19 year old kid totalled it in a high speed accident 1 week after he bought it.
kind of looks like the vw bug.

·
Marty
1,167 Posts
Hawkeye said:
I doubt it was 3rd gear, more likely you got caught in the second gear dead spot which is the A4's achilles heel. A tune can change the downshift points for more agressive driving.
Bingo...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Umm... if you catch him at a light.. you roll into the intersection.. and then start off, you're in 1st gear. If he hadn't sped off yet, you may have shifted to 2nd, but you'd still be at a pretty low speed.

From what I remember before my tune:

If you're already past 35ish+, it won't downshift to 1st
If you're already past 74ish+, it won't downshift to 2nd
(I might be off by a few mph, so bare with me...)

are you SURE you didn't have it in 2nd, which caused you to stay in 2nd? (it won't start in 1st or upshift to 3rd.. you get 2nd.. allllllll the way)

Also, if you're at about 35 and you know it won't downshift itself... throw her into 1st manually, and then quickly up it to 2nd,3rd or D (unless you enjoy kissing the rev limiter). This way you'll hit the nice "1st to 2nd" shift point.

BTW - with a tune, you'll never have to worry about it, as the tuner will make sure it does what it's supposed to at all times.

·
Registered
381 Posts
On 91 octane, stock cams I put down 306/306 on a dynojet. Had a TT run past me on an on-ramp, then we ran up through the gears to about 80. I was creeping slowly back, but the TT had a decent amount of oomph. He may have had a turbo swap too. Any turbo car can be "dangerous" in the sense you don't know what they have on there.

·
Enthusiast
1,425 Posts
GoatKart said:
good news is... while filling up the goat with gas, i ran into a miata convert... it well, died horribly.....

so thats kind of like redeeming myself isnt it!!
Beating up a Miata is like being in junior high and telling the retarded kid in your class that his shoe is untied and then pushing him over when he tries to bend over to look at it. :judge:

·
I Arrrghhh Pi-RAT!
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
lol, fox i totaly agree.... but i perhaps more than my goat needed SOME kind of kill after that embarasment... i am guessing i was above 35mph when i punched it.... im 99% sure i was in 3rd.. and deffinatly out of 1st... we were on the other side of the intersection before i heard him hit it, so given how i accelerate it was at least above 25mph by then.... and most likly then above 30+ give or take a little bit.... either way, given how he was pulling when i felt like i was in the dead of all dead spots in the goat, i think with relative certainty that i could have taken him from a dig, or with a rematch... unfortunatly, i dont have either chance :(

anyhow, i have my doubts that the TT was modded at all, it still had the dealer plates on it, unless hearing the BOV on a stocker is not normal... i guess i assumed it was.... but it certainly didnt pull away from me like i would assume a modded TT should / would against a 99% stock a4 04...

i dunno.... c'est la vie.... ill get em next time boys n girls....

just upset at myself for screwing the pooch like i did...

·
Acta Non Verba
1,023 Posts
Any higher than 72 or so (on the needle speedo) when your in "3" and the auto won't downshift to "2" and you will get your ass beat...by alot of cars actually. I notice that if I'm in WOT mode, and shift my auto manually, if I put it into the next gear about 800 rpm's before redline the tranny will still redline it into the next gear and do the shift for me. I don't know for sure cuz I have yet to bring it to the track (nor do I care enough to) but it may be faster in the 1/4 to manually shift the auto with this "pre-redline" semi-auto shifts than to just leave it in D. You basically start in the gear you wanna and still make the car wind each gear out and still have the car do the quick auto shift for you instead of actually placing it in the next gear at the sweet spot.

Maybe that makes sense maybe not.

·
In Tune and On Time.....
1,538 Posts
TT with a BOV? Not a good idea on those cars.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts